2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just upgraded from a basic keyboard phone to an iPhone5. So weird.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 PM
AppelH
Captain

Originally Posted by BBartow
Just upgraded from a basic keyboard phone to an iPhone5. So weird.
Wow you have been a little behind the times eh?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM
BBartow
Captain

Originally Posted by AppelH
Wow you have been a little behind the times eh?
Yep. My family always got the free basic phones.

I ended up crushing my almost 4 year old LG Cosmos. I left it on the toolbox, drove 10 miles then realized what I did. Dropped the tailgate to see if it was in the bed and it was between the bed and tailgate. So it got pretty much crushed. The phone cost $99 with a free 2yr contract. The case they offered me is supposed to be nice, its a Lifeproof one that cost $50. Its a iPhone 5c, whatever that means. I'm just happy to have internet. It took me like 7minutes to write this.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,367 Likes on 3,109 Posts

I don't have any variety of cell phone that I carry around. I don't want to be that easy to find.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't have any variety of cell phone that I carry around. I don't want to be that easy to find.

Are you one of those who always says, "I refuse to carry an electronic leash."?

Seriously??

Here's a hint - If I don't want to deal with the caller then I don't answer.

I know, IT SOUNDS CRAZY!!! But, it works.

I'm pursuing a degree in Legal Studies and have yet to find where State or Federal law compels someone to answer a ringing cell phone. So, if that's anyone's worry, rest assured you are quite safe. And no, no one knows your location and can't determine it, either (aside from an entity who can track a GPS enabled device).

Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,367 Likes on 3,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L

Seriously??

I'm pursuing a degree in Legal Studies and have yet to find where State or Federal law compels someone to answer a ringing cell phone. So, if that's anyone's worry, rest assured you are quite safe. And no, no one knows your location and can't determine it, either (aside from an entity who can track a GPS enabled device).
Exactly.

My philosophy on the whole thing is, cell phones are too convenient. Yep, that's right. Quite honestly, I would rather have my friends come and VISIT me, and talk to me FACE TO FACE, then just bother me on some portable device. I don't text, I don't need to surf the web when I am not at home, I don't need a GPS to tell me how to get where I want to go. Basically, I just have no use for one. That, and I had one once for work that I DID HAVE to answer. I hated that damn thing. haven't had one since, when it wasn't absolutely required.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
AppelH
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are a rarity indeed my good sir. I can admit you are right about a lot of it. The sad thing is that a majority of people will get an expensive, and very capable, smart phone, just so they can use facebook and upload stupid pictures from wherever they want. The funnier part is the complete madness that happens everytime a new phone comes out, namely the iphones. OMG a new phone, I MUST have it! Whats new about it? The screen is a 1/2" bigger. Oh. I hope your girlfriend doesn't upgrade for the same reason. Its just ridiculous.

Mine is convenient for me for school, where I like to check email frequently. But do I REALLY need to check it that often? Probably not. There really isnt anything I cant live without, but people, including me, have become dependent on it. Plus, companies are making it difficult to have a basic phone at all anymore, they are just restricting them too much. They are just trying to phase them out completely, they make too much money charging $$ for data plans.

Its also funny to follow the development of phones. First the big thing was making them smaller, lighter, more compact. Then once sales started slowing down, the iPhoes started going back the other way with bigger screens as their selling point. Im like WTF?? The sales division for Apple has to be laughing their asses off watching this pattern knowing they are still selling like crazy.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 PM
AppelH
Captain

Originally Posted by Gary-L

Seriously??

Nobody knows your location? How do you figure? The GPS, like you mentioned, can track exactly where your at, assuming you have the phone on you. If they really wanted to find whoever was carrying a particular phone, they can. To think they don't have the capability is ridiculous.

Its like the deal with the NSA leaks revealed by Edward Snowden. To think they wernt doing this is naive. No, I wont pretend like I knew it was happening, but when it came into the news I wasn't surprised at all. Sure they can say its in the interest of national security, and I am sure it partly is. But they dont monitor every single thing that every sinlge person ever does on their computer. They look for keywords, or indications that something is going on that they are interested in.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 PM
BBartow
Captain

Originally Posted by AppelH
You are a rarity indeed my good sir. I can admit you are right about a lot of it. The sad thing is that a majority of people will get an expensive, and very capable, smart phone, just so they can use facebook and upload stupid pictures from wherever they want. The funnier part is the complete madness that happens everytime a new phone comes out, namely the iphones. OMG a new phone, I MUST have it! Whats new about it? The screen is a 1/2" bigger. Oh. I hope your girlfriend doesn't upgrade for the same reason. Its just ridiculous.

Mine is convenient for me for school, where I like to check email frequently. But do I REALLY need to check it that often? Probably not. There really isnt anything I cant live without, but people, including me, have become dependent on it. Plus, companies are making it difficult to have a basic phone at all anymore, they are just restricting them too much. They are just trying to phase them out completely, they make too much money charging $$ for data plans.

Its also funny to follow the development of phones. First the big thing was making them smaller, lighter, more compact. Then once sales started slowing down, the iPhoes started going back the other way with bigger screens as their selling point. Im like WTF?? The sales division for Apple has to be laughing their asses off watching this pattern knowing they are still selling like crazy.
When I went to the Verizon store the only phones on display were smartphones. I'm sure if you wanted a basic phone they'd have to go in the back to get it. So I can definitely agree with what you said. I just wanted a phone that I could access the internet on, I don't do facebook, twitter, etc.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread