2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
My 76 could still out tow your 89.

Looks better too.
Prove it

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Alright, enough of the brand bashing. Tech bought a truck that would do the job, and had the right price. He can STILL sink a fair bit of cash into it, and NOT approach the price folks were asking for their Dodge Diesels. Folks DO seem to be pretty proud of those, as prices for them seem beyond outrageous. I too went looking for a cummins 2nd gen..... There aren't any in my price range... not even broken down, non-runners...... It's crazy. They are a high-demand truck, and there just aren't a lot of them around here any more, and those that DO have them, do NOT want to sell.....

Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
Prove it
It's older, so it wins by default.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Wink

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
no actually its not. thats just poor upkeep by the PO.
Cracked heads are a well known problem on the 2nd gen RAMs. They were cracked before we got it as there was quite a bit of evidence of the heads having been off before we got it and worked on it. And the 46RE is well known for being problematic even with normal use. I don't know why you call that poor upkeep by the PO. I call it what it is: Poor design by Dodge. Now if they are taken care of properly they have a much better chance of lasting longer before they need those repairs. It's just like tranny shops in the area see just as many Allisons from Chevy's/GMs as the 46REs from our Dodges. And Ford E4ODs had alot of troubles if tranny fluid and filters were changed at the recommended interval as it was too long, but changing it at 15K mi solved that. And the early E4OD controller had a few shifting problems. Point is: Everybody has their own problems! It's just like in the tractor world. Case IH powershift trannys on the MX series are TERRIBLY noisy! And John Deere NA diesels from the late 70s and early to mid 80s were well known for blowing head gaskets...

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
My 76 could still out tow your 89.

Looks better too.
Maybe it could, but it doesn't fit what we need!

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Alright, enough of the brand bashing. Tech bought a truck that would do the job, and had the right price. He can STILL sink a fair bit of cash into it, and NOT approach the price folks were asking for their Dodge Diesels. Folks DO seem to be pretty proud of those, as prices for them seem beyond outrageous. I too went looking for a cummins 2nd gen..... There aren't any in my price range... not even broken down, non-runners...... It's crazy. They are a high-demand truck, and there just aren't a lot of them around here any more, and those that DO have them, do NOT want to sell.....
(in respective order)
Yes please...

That's why we bought this one...

here's a quick fact: People do like these because they are the best trucks Ford ever made and will ever make. You'll find many horse people whether it be showing racing etc., that buy these and still use them because they are dependable, simple, cheap, and comfortable. And they were affordable. The original owners of this truck bought it just for that reason! Only reason they sold it was that they needed a diesel because they started moving more than 10 horses at a time. Yup. They towed a 10 horse trailer with this!

So I'm not saying Dodge isn't good, but like I've been trying to say, it was the best we could afford! Had we had 8K, we woulda gotten a Dodge before this. But we didn't have that. So brand clash over.

Gonna get a tranny mount for the Dodge today, might have it running before Dad gets home on Wednesday night!

I wanna in a couple years put a Dodge Cummins in the Ford, and a Dodge tranny (Nv5600), and if we convert it to 4wd will be a Dodge front axle and tcase. How's that?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
damn right we don't wanna sell them!

Originally Posted by techningeer
I wanna in a couple years put a Dodge Cummins in the Ford, and a Dodge tranny (Nv5600), and if we convert it to 4wd will be a Dodge front axle and tcase. How's that?
why not just get a F650 with a cummins already in it?

and why swap a NV5600?

eaton fuller FTW!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Jigabop
damn right we don't wanna sell them!

why not just get a F650 with a cummins already in it?

and why swap a NV5600?

eaton fuller FTW!
They didn't make a F650 in 1989 :P There was a F600, but none of them come with 4 doors.

I like the body style and interior of this truck alot. Now the eaton fuller is a reasonable idea. It's a 10 or 13spd tranny, but I would have to most likely install the O/D kit. So either 6 or 10 spds. Excuse me the 13spd would be a Roadrunner, but either way the eaton or roadrunner are not sychronised. So either double clutching or floating

Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Jigabop
Champion

you can get a 6-spd fuller transmission with OD

in fact I think the new fords are running them with an xfer case!

at the worst you would have to use a divorced xfer case...

but the fullers are definitely a stronger transmission than the new venture scrap heaps...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Rebel541
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts