2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
mmmmmmmm. dinner
Again?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

ya. it has been 11 days. i also got another 2 steaks in the fridge marinating. i think i might have those on Wednesday before i get 2 of my wisdom teeth pulled. i guess i might be a bit stupider after i get them removed.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
i got an mt2500, not the motus.

gd, i got it, ended up paying 320 for it shipped to me. comes with a ton of stuff, including key 13. i also ordered 13a just in case.

i need to track down the correct cartridges for it though. its only good for 1999 vehicles, and i obviously dont have a 99 or older. there is a 2001 set(primary, and troubleshooter) on ebay right now it ends in 5 days... hopefully i can win it!

here is the scanner i won.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-MT-2...vip=true&rt=nc

That is a pretty inclusive kit. I have used the 1999 cartridge on a 2001 with no problem. Still reads everything. Key 13 and 13A both willl work. The 99 cartridge was made in 99, so later models not labeled as such yet. I picked up several other cartrideges and had to change e-proms in one Asian cartridge to update it.

I kept other scanners and keep one in each truck. Snap On MTG 2500 is too big to carry around!

They also make a printer to connect. haven't bought one yet though.

You will like that thing!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdstock
That is a pretty inclusive kit. I have used the 1999 cartridge on a 2001 with no problem. Still reads everything. Key 13 and 13A both willl work. The 99 cartridge was made in 99, so later models not labeled as such yet. I picked up several other cartrideges and had to change e-proms in one Asian cartridge to update it.

I kept other scanners and keep one in each truck. Snap On MTG 2500 is too big to carry around!

They also make a printer to connect. haven't bought one yet though.

You will like that thing!
there is actually have a printer on ebay right now.

care to teach me how to use the mt2500, as in how to get in to set fuel sync?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM
gdstock
Legend

Let me find one of the manuals I got (yeah, I had to grab some of those also - about 8 volumes...). I can copy some of the pages as pdf....

It is pretty simple. When you plug it in, it will ask for 10th digit ov VIN and then it sets up for that vehcle. Just follow menus.

Best seller on e-bay for these things, including manuals and accessories is Texas Sized Deals in Houston. I have talked to them on the phone also. Very knowledgeable on anything Snap On.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
Let me find one of the manuals I got (yeah, I had to grab some of those also - about 8 volumes...). I can copy some of the pages as pdf....

It is pretty simple. When you plug it in, it will ask for 10th digit ov VIN and then it sets up for that vehcle. Just follow menus.

Best seller on e-bay for these things, including manuals and accessories is Texas Sized Deals in Houston. I have talked to them on the phone also. Very knowledgeable on anything Snap On.
hmmm gonna be a tricky one then i think, no? engine is a 98 5.9, truck is an 01 with a 5.2. wouldnt that be different? or would setting fuel sync be the same?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
mmmmmmmm. dinner
Funny, cuz we have 1 plate EXACTLY like that one!!!! LOL

Attached Thumbnails The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread-imag0485.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
hmmm gonna be a tricky one then i think, no? engine is a 98 5.9, truck is an 01 with a 5.2. wouldnt that be different? or would setting fuel sync be the same?

I don't know if sync would be same for 5.2 and 5.9. I'll try to look it up tomorrow while I am in garage. It should read it,adn troubleshooter cart should give ref data.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 AM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

=
{Edited Quote}

I don't know how to use a Multimeter, and I don't know the right settings and procedure to test the connections. Can anyone help me with this ? what ever you can tell me is most appreciated.
Being an amateur radio operator I have a bunch of VOM's here so maybe I can help you.

If you already do have a VOM {Volt OhmMeter} set it to ohms, now touch both of the prob tips together. If you have an analog meter the needle should swing full scale to a little figure 8 laying on its side {the symbol for infinity} If you have a digital meter it should show you lots of random numbers then all zeros or it might say inf or something like that.

If you have a bit fancier digital meter there may be a continuity setting with a tone. One of my Fluke digital meters has that. Its handy to just check a length of wire with to see it is not broken or shorted somewhere.

Here is a pretty decent one for not much money

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Analog-...ellow/17117738

Make sure you have disconnected the battery before you start testing wires. When your meter is in the ohm setting you can damage the meter or at the least blow an onboard fuse if your meter has one. All but my cheapest little $3.00 analog meter has an onboard fuse.

Another handy thing to have is a light bulb with wires on it. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6v-12v-Circu...item2a288f9e90

You can pick one up even at Walmart for just a few dollars. I have some with 12V replaceable light bulbs and others with neon bulbs in them {for testing AC circuits} I made one with a high brightness LED in it just for testing 12V circuits. You need the right resistor to do this though you can't just hook a LED to 12V and expect it to survive, you have to drop the voltage down to closer to 2 volts.

Anyway if you are using a test lamp thing you will need to have the battery hooked up then just ground one wire on your lamp to the chassis and use the other wire to test for the presents of 12 volts. If its there, the lamp will light if not, it won't. If it doesn't light and is supposed to at the least you now have a starting point to trouble shoot from.

Last edited by tired old man; 02-24-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna be 50* and sunny today

Refinishing the kitchen table.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread