2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigabop
1. why? what is your goal here?
2. ATI or Nvidia?
3. card model and do you have aftermarket cooling? when talking about overclocking, stock cooling is usually not enough.
4. if your answer to #1 is better performance in a game, don't waste your time. overclock the proc and motherboard instead, you will see a more noticeable gain running the rest of the system faster.

this coming from someone running a system that is 5yrs old and plays battlefield 3 on high with no lag though my video card is current now, but the mobo and proc are still older tech..
Higher FPS on CS:GO.
Nvidia 9600GT

It has factory aftermarket cooling. It has a giant Arctic Cooler on it and I slapped another 80mm fan on it to drop the temps some more. It idles at 90F.

My i5 is OC'd to 3.7, ram at 1400. It won't let me OC any further, it literally just doesn't go past 3.7. I've upped the voltage too, I don't remember what I'm running right now.
My card is currently clocked to 760 up from 650. 1900 on shaders.

I'm wanting to up the core voltage to squeeze more out of it but I've only been able to find hard over voltage....argh. Any experience with that?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this computer talk makes me want to go stand in the garage and drink beer... Atleast I can understand that lol

Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
So there was a chase involving the Va State Police yesterday, it started in Weber City, Va. Report I read yesterday said that 6 vehicles were either damaged/totaled in the chase. 5 of the 6 were Va State Police cars

1 lost control and went off into a ditch, one patrol car smacked into another patrol car, not sure about the other 2, I think they may have been rammed by the guy they were chasing.

Anywho, I think this shows that some of the Va State Police DON'T know how to drive!
Sounds like a TV Comedy...

Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dlyter09
All of this computer talk makes me want to go stand in the garage and drink beer... Atleast I can understand that lol

Me too!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm melting away in the sun. Been weed eating the hillside for bout 2 days now. It's looking good though.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
gdstock
Legend

About 46 degrees and rainy today. Ranger game at 1:00 rain delay...and I was given the day off! Whoohoo!

http://wxug.us/132f2

Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by dlyter09
That sounds good....
Originally Posted by stewie01
I'm melting away in the sun. Been weed eating the hillside for bout 2 days now. It's looking good though.
lol
I was getting beat on in the sun yesterday while planting and weeding the garden. Texas sun is more fierce then VA sun. Trust me.

I'm a doctor.

Got a cultivator attachment for my Echo.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Higher FPS on CS:GO.
Nvidia 9600GT

It has factory aftermarket cooling. It has a giant Arctic Cooler on it and I slapped another 80mm fan on it to drop the temps some more. It idles at 90F.

My i5 is OC'd to 3.7, ram at 1400. It won't let me OC any further, it literally just doesn't go past 3.7. I've upped the voltage too, I don't remember what I'm running right now.
My card is currently clocked to 760 up from 650. 1900 on shaders.

I'm wanting to up the core voltage to squeeze more out of it but I've only been able to find hard over voltage....argh. Any experience with that?
your card is ancient dude...you have a modern proc with an old *** card that is not even a flagship card of its time?!

nvidia has its own overclocking software...

as for your proc: if you have an unlocked multiplier, you can push that up a notch, but really you need to make sure to balance the rest of the system if you are trying to push the proc via the bus speed.

which means you need good ram. cheap junk ram will limit your processor overclocks. pushing more voltage on the proc wont get past ram not allowing the clock speed to run higher, or a mobo that can't handle it...

running your ram in different modes can sometimes help...

example: my proc is 3.0GHz/1333MHz stock I have had it running at 3.6GHz/1440MHz for years now. my ram is linked and synced with the FSB to run the ram 1:1 with the system bus. seems to be more stable that way and faster. I had to bump ram voltages, and with voltages, I always bump to the top of the safeties and see how high of a clock I can get away with, then I load the machine and back off voltages till it crashes. then bump up a couple notches from where it crashed and thats about the lowest stable voltage you can run. never run voltages too high just to run them there...makes your temps hotter and burns out your hardware faster...run voltages as low as you can get away with without a crash/hang and you will get more life out of your hardware.

I can't give you exact voltages or clocks to run as no two machines are the same when it comes to overclocking...even with exactly identical hardware, one machine will like higher or lower voltages than the other and will accept higher clocks than the other...

honestly though your video card is ridiculously old and underpowered...

get a new one.

my hardware:

intel core 2 extreme QX6850 @ 3.6GHz 1440MHz
xfx Nforce 780i SLI mobo
msi GTX680 (main video card)
evga 8800GTX (running as a dedicated physx processor to take physx processing load off of the GTX680)
4x 2GB g.skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12-1T timings (forced via mobo settings, though they are rated to handle it)
liquid cooling on the proc
video card came with twin frozr 2 cooling.

90F is ok...that's 32C

you can run up to 80C on your video card before you need to start worrying. proc on the other hand you can run about 75C before thermal shutdown safeties kick in and power you down.

mine runs about 65C when loaded heavily. (playing BF3 lol) and about 38-40C at idle.

I really need a faster cooling pump.

Last edited by Jigabop; 04-10-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Jigabop
your card is ancient dude...you have a modern proc with an old *** card that is not even a flagship card of its time?!

nvidia has its own overclocking software...

as for your proc: if you have an unlocked multiplier, you can push that up a notch, but really you need to make sure to balance the rest of the system if you are trying to push the proc via the bus speed.

which means you need good ram. cheap junk ram will limit your processor overclocks. pushing more voltage on the proc wont get past ram not allowing the clock speed to run higher, or a mobo that can't handle it...

running your ram in different modes can sometimes help...

example: my proc is 3.0GHz/1333MHz stock I have had it running at 3.6GHz/1440MHz for years now. my ram is linked and synced with the FSB to run the ram 1:1 with the system bus. seems to be more stable that way and faster. I had to bump ram voltages, and with voltages, I always bump to the top of the safeties and see how high of a clock I can get away with, then I load the machine and back off voltages till it crashes. then bump up a couple notches from where it crashed and thats about the lowest stable voltage you can run. never run voltages too high just to run them there...makes your temps hotter and burns out your hardware faster...run voltages as low as you can get away with without a crash/hang and you will get more life out of your hardware.

I can't give you exact voltages or clocks to run as no two machines are the same when it comes to overclocking...even with exactly identical hardware, one machine will like higher or lower voltages than the other and will accept higher clocks than the other...

honestly though your video card is ridiculously old and underpowered...

get a new one.

my hardware:

intel core 2 extreme QX6850 @ 3.6GHz 1440MHz
xfx Nforce 780i SLI mobo
msi GTX680 (main video card)
evga 8800GTX (running as a dedicated physx processor to take physx processing load off of the GTX680)
4x 2GB g.skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12-1T timings (forced via mobo settings, though they are rated to handle it)
liquid cooling on the proc
video card came with twin frozr 2 cooling.

90F is ok...that's 32C

you can run up to 80C on your video card before you need to start worrying. proc on the other hand you can run about 75C before thermal shutdown safeties kick in and power you down.

mine runs about 65C when loaded heavily. (playing BF3 lol) and about 38-40C at idle.

I really need a faster cooling pump.
It was free. lol
My ram is Corsair XMS3 running at 1400mhz for the pair. 1333 is stock. I am also running stock latencies for the stock speed. I just don't know which way to move them. I do have the CPU voltage bumped up a bit, it didn't change much of anything. I've also got the ram voltage bumper up to 1.625.
The FSB ratio on mine is 1:7...

My core multiplier won't go any higher than 37. I mean, it moves, but the clock doesn't do anything. I've also got speedstep disabled.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Ok I gotta ask this; After reading thread after thread about using no muffler, no cat and dumping it under the cab. Don't you guy's have safety inspections? What about noise pollution? What about the worry of carbon monoxide poisoning? If you tried to run no muffler no cat and just dump it under the cab here in Bc Canada it's game over, your truck will be towed and impounded, you will get a least one ticket from the law and the truck will have to pass a full VI before it goes back on the road.
I don't have emissions or safety inspections where I live. You CAN get in trouble for straightpipe though.

I don't dump under cab no matter what. Not safe - those who do aren't thinking.

About emissions though, I know of a couple people with Rams who have passed emissions with a gutted cat and a stock engine that just had a tune up. In Iowa at least, if the catalytic converter falls off you aren't required to put one back on - hence if you remove it but don't touch it and let it fall to the ground then grab it you're safe (yes I know people who did this AND went to court AND won the case).

Even if Iowa DOES get the emission laws they are talking about any vehicle 6 years or older will be exempted if you pay a exemption fee, something like $25-$50 annually.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread