2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
definitly have to check this out. you may also want to look at page 17. looks like he finishes it
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...s-I-don-t-even.....

this is comical gold!

I'm surprised that shed didn't collapse with him on the roof...

he literally didn't do ANYTHING right on it! a damn bird nest is built more structurally sound than that...

I give it a couple months before the floor is rotted out and the calls start rotting...

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Dad's are always right....right?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current view outside:

Name:  20130404_170553_zps3e638be7.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  20130404_170557_zps758ea5ff.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  114.4 KB

Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Jigabop
Champion

just nominated jimythefan's 01 for ROTM

someone go second it

heres his rig
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/garage/...imythefan.html

gotta keep this second gen thing going! lol

maybe we can dominate an entire year! we have held 3 months in a row already!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by dlyter09
What the hell ford is getting 30mpg??? Id love to see the specs and proof of that.
It'll be a while before I can dig that one up again LOL... Been over 6 months ago that I found the specs and proof. But basically the main idea is a nonrestrictive cam, nonrestrictive exhaust, and tuning to match. Efficiency during cruise conditions is all about leaning out the engine - on certain diesels, the air/fuel ratio is 145:1 during cruising, compared to the almost constant 12-14:1 of a gasoline engine. If that was done on a gasoline, the efficiency is bound to rise. But only wideband capable electronics can achieve this - I don't know if the Dodge JTEC style or NG3/4 PCM's are capable of wideband or not, I haven't studied the tuning parameters in detail for them. I do know the Ford EEC-4 is capable of wideband tuning and can lean out the fuel system fairly far when cruising (It receives a signal from the cruise control that a cruise condition is present; then it determines which gear the transmission is in and compares those two against engine speed and MAF values to determine if a lean-out should occur). Ported heads are a must for this, otherwise the valves can't stay cool enough to prevent detonation. People who do this also install a EGT gauge as leaning out a engine CAN skyrocket EGT's on a gasoline engine, hence the need for true dual exhaust. I know some people say that leaning out will cause a lack of power, but the 460 is a torquey engine, even when it is detuned (leaning out/timing retard), so it doesn't have as much problem that way.

Reason I brought the whole thing up is I wonder if the same thing can be done with the 360 and the JTEC/NG3/NG4 PCMs that Dodge uses. I know it would be popular if it could be done, cause 25-30MPG would be the holy grail of commuting for these trucks. IMO the auto's could use a less steep O/D ratio and use tuning instead to make better fuel economy.

Originally Posted by ~moparlove~
Has anyone ever heard the old wives tale about when you start your car, to let it sit for 10-15 seconds before actually driving it? I remember my Dad saying that when i was little. He said thats supposed to be the ample time to let the oil get to where it needs to go before you start driving conditions. Ive always done this but wondered if anyone else does it or if you really dont need to. Or maybe Im just paranoid and a creature of habit haha
It's a good idea to let a engine run for 15 seconds or so before driving. Oil pressure increases internally that way. Personally I try to always warm a engine up most of the way before driving, not always possible though. I also make it a habit on a engine with a O2 sensor preheat circuit to turn the key on without starting immediately to allow the O2 preheat circuit to kick in. Seems to me to make a difference in starting, and I always allow 3 seconds for the fuel pump to prime though no matter what.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think somebody fell and bumped their head very hard when they made those claims..

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

30 mpg out of a gas, or diesel engine?

The multi-chip trick has been around for a while. The GM crowd have been doing that since the late 90's. There are also zif (zero insertion force) sockets for the chip in the ECM, so changing chips is a two minute operation. You can get everything you need (aside from a laptop computer) to burn chips for around 250 or so. (eeProms) One of the favorite tricks was to invoke "Highway Mode". The code for it was in the programming, but, never implemented. (by GM anyway...) What it would do was, at steady state cruise, it would push the fuel/air rations to 17-19:1. (had to experiment with ratios/timing to get the best mix.). I was able to squeak 28 MPG out of my 88 Formula 350 without too much trouble. Coulda gone higher too.... but.... stopped driving it when I got tired of getting stuck in an inch of snow.... Then, I simply couldn't drive it any more.... (too difficult to get in/out of for me.) I still miss that car.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

The multi-chip trick has been around for a while. The GM crowd have been doing that since the late 90's. There are also zif (zero insertion force) sockets for the chip in the ECM, so changing chips is a two minute operation. You can get everything you need (aside from a laptop computer) to burn chips for around 250 or so. (eeProms) One of the favorite tricks was to invoke "Highway Mode". The code for it was in the programming, but, never implemented. (by GM anyway...) What it would do was, at steady state cruise, it would push the fuel/air rations to 17-19:1. (had to experiment with ratios/timing to get the best mix.). I was able to squeak 28 MPG out of my 88 Formula 350 without too much trouble. Coulda gone higher too.... but.... stopped driving it when I got tired of getting stuck in an inch of snow.... Then, I simply couldn't drive it any more.... (too difficult to get in/out of for me.) I still miss that car.
I'm getting that way with my Z....lol...I about roll out of it now...

Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody just use regular hight temp rtv gasket for the plenum?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by dlyter09
I think somebody fell and bumped their head very hard when they made those claims..
Sorry but I think you are wrong...

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Big block gasoline. I'm intending to get my chip burning kit sometime late this year or early next year. The chip I'm gonna get inserts into the J5 socket on the EEC, and then has a 5-position rotary switch to select one of the five tunes on the chip, on the fly (I.E. while driving!).

The reason the 460 can get 30MPG on a truck is that it has alot of torque to begin with, and leaning it out can increase MPG astoundingly. The basic idea is when the EEC receives a signal from the cruise system that the state is cruise, it will lean out the A/F ratio, adjust timing to match, and then it monitors the transmission gear vs. MAP/MAF values to determine how much load the engine is under, thus it can safely lean it out and then when more power is needed it can immediately adjust preventing knocking due to lack of power. The main thing with the 460 is to keep it in O/D as much as possible, because it keeps engine speed down. Strangely enough Ford made the ports on the 460s heads fairly large, but then restricted the intake (and contradictingly put on dual intakes), then made the cam and exhaust restrictive. Why? They detuned the motor to meet EPA regulations... Any rate enough Ford talk here LOL

My idea though is if it can be done on a larger Ford engine, why can't it be done on a Magnum 360? So I'm thinking it through... I believe it can be done!

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread