2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Yup.... here we go again. (Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup.... here we go again. (Transmission)

Okie dokie, well it has been two years since a rebuild, and sure why not! Lets start having tranny problems again!

So I took the truck to work last Friday and had no problems at all. So yesterday morning, I get in my truck and pull out of the driveway. I notice a problem right away... the truck never shifted into 2nd. And it still didn't shift out of first... by this time I am closing in on 4grand and I'm like ok... I let my foot off the gas and it goes into gear. I'm like hmmm... that wasn't good. So I get to the stop sign just down the road. I take off.

And again... truck doesn't shift out of first. So I let off the gas and it goes into 2nd.... then it shifts just fine after that through the other gears. So I was like ok I will just baby it, maybe it got some snow or something up there. Seeings how we got all of that lovely snow up here in WI on Sunday. I thought well maybe it will just melt or maybe some ice got on the TV cable.

Unfortunately, the truck continued to do the same thing, the rest of the trip to work and on the way back. Dad took it to work today just 2 miles down the road and it kept doing the same thing.

So here is the situation. I can manually put it in 2nd and takeoff... so its not like 2nd gear is gone. The truck just doesn't shift out of first at all. It stays there til you take your foot off the gas and then it will be shift. Now I did get it just over 4k RPM yesterday by that time I was almost doing 40MPH. I took my foot off the gas and bang bang it went into 2nd then into 3rd.

I mean once you take your foot off of it and the truck can shift into 2nd it goes into all the other gears just like normal even into OD.

Now... here is some background on this beast.
I put a re-build 46RE in it two years ago (almost exactly I did in Jan 2009). I did that at 184,2** miles. The truck now has 206,8** miles on it. So 22k miles on this trans and we got an issue. I changed out the trans fluid and filter at 200K miles. So just 6k miles ago. The fluid did have some metal shavings on the magnet... nothing to bad just a bit.. I fiqured that's from it being a re-build anyways you know.

What do you guys think is the problem? The CEL is not on. I will check for codes tonight. If I remember correctly only the TC cable and the Governor Pressure Solenoid/Transducer control the shifting correct??

Thoughts? Idea's?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try flushing it?
I'm sure someone else will show up....

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you havent checked fluid start there

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Well I did check the fluid and it was a quart and a half low. Put a qt in, got to get another qt tomorrow. Still did the same thing though...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

im having the same problem... and it just started today

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Metal in the pan is NOT a sign of normal break-in wear. At 20k miles you should see a bit, not a lot, of friction material sludge in the pan, nothing more. By "a bit" I mean a teaspoon or less.

You might get lucky and fix it with a governor pressure regulator/transducer, but you got a crap rebuild and shouldn't expect it to last too long. I recommend a full round of pressure testing as outlined in the FSM to figure this one out because it sounds like you're leaking pressure somewhere.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:10 AM
bjr1a
Professional

get the code...that may help isolate the problem....If nothing conclusive ,Unplug the 8 pin connector on the left side of trans near the rear cooling line....With harness disconnected, you should be able to manually shift the unit through 1-2-3,,,,In other words, when gear selector is placed in Man 1 , you will have firstgear and when gear selector is placed in man2 you willhave second gear and so on....If it will shift manually,the trans is ok ....If it does not have all the gears then the gov solenoid is bad or a deeper problem inside unit....Also keep in mind if trans does shift manually ok, you may have a faulty gov sensor or on some models the speed signal is also important for the pcm to operate the governor sensor/solenoid correctly...

brian

Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Update:
Took the TV cable off for the heck of it today. And the truck shifts now! It doesn't go into OD until about 60mph vs going into OD at about 45mph. But it does shift fine. Shifts kind of soft and there is a bit more time before it will go into each gear.

Did find that the TV cable the little black piece that connects to the throttle body was broken, and the cable itself had a little kink in it.

Going to buy another cable tomorrow from Mopar. I am also going to stop by a Transmission shop in town and ask his opinion on the matter. Either way the TV cable needs to be replaced, and I am pretty certain that was the cause of my problem. Remember I said we got some snow on Sunday and it was blowing and drifting. Would not have taken much to possibly have frozen that little bit of cable, that was exposed from the little black broken thing.

I checked ALLDATA at work today as well. And it had two different types of bulletins for Transmissions they were as follows with their supposed faults...

No shift/gear placement: P1763 - Replace Governor Pressure Sensor.
Hunting/Surging: P1763 - Replace Governor Pressure Sensor.

Just thought that was a bit interesting. Hopefully this will help other people who have similar issues.. will keep ya guys updated as I get this fiqured out.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Put the new TV cable in on Saturday night. Just took it for a ride right away to see what it did. And it did not shift out of first at all!! Brought it back into the shop, adjusted the TV cable and then I got it to do the same thing, wouldn't go out of first til I took my foot off the gas. Then it shifted ok. Was kind of hard to tell because of the snow on the ground I didn't want to get on it to much.

Took it for a ride today when I got home from work, because the roads are clear now. Still won't shift out of first til you take your foot off the gas. Noticed something weird though... truck wouldn't not go into OD. So I turned around at the end of the road (1/2mile from the house) and came back home. Truck went into overdrive... but then I went on got on the throttle and it was like it kicked down a gear or too. The rpm's went up and the truck was like it wasn't shifting at all.

I'm thinking Governor Pressure Solenoid is shot... any thoughts? I am going to talk to a tranny shop in town tomorrow. See what he says won't be surprised if he says the same thing, may need him to adjust the cable but we will see.

I don't think my tranny is shot, god I hope not. Any input would be great guys!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Verify the adjustment on the TV cable.... they can be a right pain in the **** to get adjusted right.

Try disconnecting the eight pin connector on the trans behind the shift linkage. Then, take the truck out and manually shift 1-2, 2-3. If that works good, replace governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

Quick Reply: Yup.... here we go again. (Transmission)