2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5% window tint...trouble with the LAW?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011 | 11:35 AM
matty675
|
Record Breaker
Default 5% window tint...trouble with the LAW?

i currently have about 35% tint on my truck that has faded to purple (ya i know, right!) it was on the truck when i bought it.

the two suicide "doors" have really dark factory tint (looks good too, not faded), probably 5%. i want to get 5% all the way around.

do you think cops will leave me alone? i have several buddys that run dark tint and have never had an issue. several cops in the area run dark tint (mainly chargers) and the city now has 3 2011 f150's that run literally like 0% tint (sweetest lookin' police interceptors i've seen).

anybody else ever had an issue?

Old 03-12-2011 | 01:08 PM
Andrew2500
Professional

I don't know about your state, but in my state (Rhode Island), any pickup truck has to be registered as a commercial vehicle. In Rhode Island, commercial vehicles can have unlimited tint. So maybe if you registered your truck as commercial, you might be allowed to have unlimited tint.

Old 03-12-2011 | 02:23 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

http://www.tintlaws.com/

I do not know how accurate that site is, but it says front Side windows in VA can only be 50%.

Old 03-12-2011 | 02:30 PM
Truedge
Professional

It depends on your local and state laws on what level you tint is. I live in Minnesota not 30 miles away from North Dakota, And the law vary from those states. In Minnesota you cannot have any tint on your front windows and windshield, But North Dakota is different. It used to be a big problem with people getting busted by the cops for their tint.

Check with your local laws on tint to see what is acceptable.

Old 03-13-2011 | 01:50 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

yes, i do know it is ILLEGAL, however it doesn't appear to be strictly enforced.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had issues.

my truck has been "broken" into before (it wasn't locked). tint would keep potential thieves from seeing something they might want. hindering a thieves ability to see into the truck is also a very good excuse to tell a cop that says its too dark, who knows maybe he'd let me slide...

Old 03-13-2011 | 01:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Around here... the cops are real ****** about such things. At one time, we even had a cop whose ONLY job was to ticket BICYCLE riders that weren't wearing a helmut.... Talk about ****.

If your window tint is too dark.... they have the ability to impound your car, remove the tint, charge you for the tow, 150 bucks to get your car back, PLUS impound fees, storage fees, and anything else they can think of to get your dime.

Old 03-13-2011 | 02:04 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If your window tint is too dark.... they have the ability to impound your car, remove the tint, charge you for the tow, 150 bucks to get your car back, PLUS impound fees, storage fees, and anything else they can think of to get your dime.
is that just in michigan or here too?

the only cop that i actually know of thats **** about window tint here is my friends old man, he'd let me slide no problem. i dont even know why i started this thread, you know ill end up at the tint shop next week!

im getting restless since i havent had any word from the machine shop, so im doing alternate exterior mods for now

Old 03-13-2011 | 02:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have no clue what things are like where you are at..... I would take a look around at some of the folks driving around with tinted windows, or visit custom shops, etc, and see what folks have to say. (although, not sure I would trust the guys at the tint shop, they just wanna sell you the tint....)

Old 03-13-2011 | 05:25 PM
jake7
All Star

I had 5% on my front windows and hated it at night. I had to roll down the wondows to even see parking spots in areas that weren't well lit. I took it off and have 20% all the way around. It's dark and looks good and since it doesn't appear too dark/illegal as much as 5% I havent had any problems...Just something to think about

Old 03-14-2011 | 06:07 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

I agree that 5% is a bitch to see out of at night.....but tinting the windsheild slighty helps with that, I drove a friend of mines superduty and never noticed that the windows were 5% until a couple days later, when he was talking about his windsheild being tinted

Quick Reply: 5% window tint...trouble with the LAW?