2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wanting your opinion on how to mount lights...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanting your opinion on how to mount lights...

Yep, it's been driving me nuts, but I have finally decided to put lights on the front of my truck. The only problem being the Ranchhand Brushguard doesn't have light tabs like all the others. So I need to recommendations on how to mount the lights.

I was thinking the third bar, at the bottom. I was thinking about using flat steel angle iron and punching holes through the brush guard tube and bolting the angle iron on it.

Any opinions or suggestions would be nice.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'd want them on the 2nd or middle bar.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get some 1/8" x 1" flat steel, cut it down to about 3" or 3.5" long and weld it to the bottom of the third bar down. If you cut the metal and had the brush guard ground down where you want them then I'm sure you could get an exhaust shop to weld them on for around $20. If you do that then I would drill the holes for the lights first so you could do it in a vise instead of having to do it on the truck.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I don't think the bottom bar is going to allow for the lights to be aimed up high enough to be useful though.... Second bar looks like the best bet, or, inside the bumper openings there?? (inboard from the fogs.)

Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 AM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duct tape.. If ya cant duct it f**k it.. jk.. Like HeyYou said that 3rd bar might be a little to low. Go with the middle one and follow the steps Stewie said. Make sure the area is all prepped good for welding and afterwards put some good primer and paint over to keep from rusting..

Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think the bottom bar is going to allow for the lights to be aimed up high enough to be useful though.... Second bar looks like the best bet, or, inside the bumper openings there?? (inboard from the fogs.)
Longer tabs will fix that issue. The bottom bar is the fourth one down. I was talking about the third one down, just above the bumper.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 12-21-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
Longer tabs will fix that issue. The bottom bar is the fourth one down. I was talking about the third one down, just above the bumper.

Gotcha.. That would be the best place in my opinion. The fab work shouldnt be difficult at all.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pick you up some cheap "L" brackets at the hardware store or make a couple. Drill two holes in the uprights of your grill guard, mount the bracket on the inside and put your lights thru a hole in the bracket. Shouldn't cost you $10.

OR

Drill you two holes on your horizontal bar slightly larger than the mounting bolt on the lights you're going to use, weld an appropriate nut over the hole, paint it black to match the grill guard. Mount your lights. Done that one many times, most recently on the front brush guard of my ATV.
That one shouldn't cost you a buck...

On my truck, I actually bought two aluminum brackets made for mounting off-road lights to a round bar AT FRIGGIN' $30 A PIECE!!! But that's because the bar is stainless and I wasn't about to go welding on stainless. I could have done the "L-Bracket" thing though without drilling, there is a second set of holes about 2" above where my cross-bar is...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-21-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

The L-bracket deal sounds like a good one. I would put one side of the L on the bottom of the horizontal bar above the bumper and mount the light to the piece sticking out.

The only reason I didn't say to bolt some flat steel to the bottom of the bar is because if it wasn't shaped like a T or an L then you wouldn't have much room to get two bolts through it. If you only use one bolt to attach a tab to that bar then it could easily twist on you going down the road and get your light out of alignment. That pipe probably can't handle more than about 20ft-lbs before stripping unless you go all the way through the bar with a nut and a bolt.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

I used pipe hangers from Home Depot to mount my 500s.

Quick Reply: Wanting your opinion on how to mount lights...