2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

ball joint replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint replacement question

Last time i did my ball joints I didnt have a air hammer to knock the rivet heads off with, instead i used a drill and drilled them out. It was a pain in the butt, but i was so glad that i thought it was the last time i would have to do it as all replacements come with bolts. Well that truck has since bit the dust and i need to replace the ball joints on my new truck. So Im thinking i will use a air hammer this time with a chisel to knock the heads off then punch out the remaining rivet. the question is do yall think a cheapo air chisel from harbor freight will do it? or should i look at a used snap on or something? I dont know how strong of a hammer i will need to knock those off. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a couple of ways to make this ezer using a air chisel or a cold chisel.

1 Use a drill bit half the size of the rivet head and drill down just to the point you are level with the surface or just past, then use the air chisel.

2 Use a hack saw and cut a plus in the rivet head same depth like above, then use the air chisel.

Edit: Safety glasses are a great idea.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
There are a couple of ways to make this ezer using a air chisel or a cold chisel.

1 Use a drill bit half the size of the rivet head and drill down just to the point you are level with the surface or just past, then use the air chisel.

Edit: Safety glasses are a great idea.
This method work very well for me. After you drill a hole usually the head will just "pop" off once you hit it with the air chisel. Then knock out the rest of the rivet with a punch & hammer OR get a punch for your air hammer....

Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man....... you 2wd guys got it easy to replace ball joints! wish my joints came out that easy. doing them on our jeep right now. disassembled everything last night. just gotta get a pickle fork to seperate the knuckle now.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
man....... you 2wd guys got it easy to replace ball joints! wish my joints came out that easy. doing them on our jeep right now. disassembled everything last night. just gotta get a pickle fork to seperate the knuckle now.
It's not THAT easy. Without air tools those rivets are a B!TCH to get out.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what about an angle grinder?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
DK-v1
Professional

I just used a hammer and a jack stand to remove all four ball joints. Pretty much the same method for re-install as well.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

2wd is a bitch. Took me 10 hrs to replace all 4 last time using just a drill and bit.

Quick Reply: ball joint replacement question