2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
agoodman53188
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers

so, I blew the speakers in my truck, only to discover that my front speakers arent the infinity speakers like my truck is suppose to have, they are some cheap Dual 2 way speakers. My question is, should I replace them with another pair of 2 ways or should I get 3 ways? Not sure what the original infinities were.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your choice. 2 ways tend to be a little more shallow, and less likely to stick out too much. 3 ways tend to be a little taller, and you have to be careful to not be too tall and cause the door panels to bulge out, or hit the speakers.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...-speakers.html

Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
agoodman53188
Amateur

do u know if the infinities that originally came with the truck would have been 2 way or 3 way? im not planning on putting a system in yet, i just want some good speakers.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 AM
TheBeast413
Rookie

i threw some pioneer 400w three ways and built spacers out of wood to avoid bulge lol goes well with my 1500w 12" jackhammer

Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by agoodman53188
do u know if the infinities that originally came with the truck would have been 2 way or 3 way? im not planning on putting a system in yet, i just want some good speakers.
not sure, but i thought the infinity system had separate tweeters in the A-pillar with a cross-over/amp thing at the 6x9, which would lead me to believe that the original 6x9 would have been a 1 way or 2 way.

if your don't want to put a lot of money into it, just get an inexpensive aftermarket set of fairly shallow 2 ways or 3 ways and call it done. everbody gets all emotional about speakers that do or don't sound good but whatever's down at walmart on sale is probably good enough. you can likely beat the price on ebay or amazon if you're an online type of person.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
agoodman53188
Amateur

The infinity system did come with tweeters in the a pillar. If I put 3 ways in, should I disconnect or remove those tweeters? And I believe the cross over/amp thing is still hooked up, there's a black thing that the speakers are hooked up to, not sure what it is tho

Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

its the crossover/amp thingy.

i've never take apart an infinity, so no personal experience. just from reading about others, it seems the wiring is a bit complicated and you have to maintain power to the amps, from the head unit. in an aftermarket setup it would be the blue wire. in the factory setup i don't know which one it is. (the amps might be powered by relays)

for people who do NOT replace the head unit, its common to leave wiring as is, and keep the amps/crossover, as it provides the power. i think? the infinity head is relatively low power, so if you delete the crossover/amp thingy, you lose all your power and all your sound. (the speakers might be on low power - rca line level power, meaning that you can't hear them w/o the amps) typically when there is an amp involved, you run line level to the amp, and then speaker level power out from it.

if you're on a low budget, i'd keep the amps and just replace the speakers with something not too expensive, that fits, and not too tall (avoid bulge) and not too deep (hits window frame) and call it a day. i'd assume the pillar tweeters are still working and look for a 2 way speaker for the door. the other option would be to put in a nicer 3 way or 4 way, but not have any high frequencies hit those speakers, since the crossovers will strip it off. then somewhere in the future when the head or amps or tweeters die, you could reuse those speakers and ditch the pillar tweeters.

also, just by the way... since the door panel covers the speaker and you can't see it at all. and because you don't use any speaker grills or covers. and because you're NOT going to cut holes in your door panels.... you can use any size or shape speaker that you wish. either a 6x9 oval, or a 6 - 6-1/2 round. just so it fits in the hole and doesn't hit anything, and sounds good is all that matters. crutchfield even recommends a 6-1/2 round to avoid hitting the window frame.
crutchfield.com

here's some internet chatter. google it for more.

"INFINITY" is really just a name licensed to Chrysler. The stereos we're made by several different contractors( including INFINITY originaly).:nod: I've had Mitsubishi,Alpine and several other no name units.
The stereos themselves put out between 10 - 20 watts / channel, depending on manufacture date. Later model 92 thru 99 tend to be the best.They feature C/D, tape,( sometimes both),EQS and better circuitry.
The speakers suffer from UV degradation, and "high milage" just like all speakers. :amen: They are powered from a relay under the dash or console, usually on a dedicated circuit, switched by the PWR on button, or ****.
The best Infinity speakers tend to come from high end Chryslers(the "gold" systems):nod: on LHS,Concordes,Town&Countrys or Intrepids, and Caravans. The key is to look for an LX, or ES designation to the car. :eyebrows: These cars had 3 in,4in,6in, and 5x7, or 6x9 speakers.The "Gold sys."speakers are reputedly capable of 50 watts /per.

They all put out low impedance signals intended for speakers. Whether the systems that used amplified speakers had enough oomph to drive speakers directly to a reasonable volume, I don't know. Just like many low-end amps that have speaker level inputs, there is a dummy load on the inputs so that the frequency response of the amps in the head unit don't get out of whack.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ar...p/t-15220.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM
agoodman53188
Amateur

Thanks for the info. What's confusing me is when looking at speakers I'm seeing 3 way speakers have a tweeter, a midrange, and a subwoofer, and 2 way speakers have a tweeter and subwoofer, wouldn't having a tweeter on a 2 way speaker be pointless when I have the tweeters in the a pillars? How much work would it be if I decided to eliminate the tweeters in the pillars and the crossover/amp thing and run New wire to the speakers? I'm also looking to replace my rear speakers as well

Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
agoodman53188
Amateur

I'm not really on much of a budget, I'm just not 100% sure I wanna put a system in the truck due to needing the backseat to be usable

Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

2 way actually has a woofer and a tweeter, not a sub-woofer. subwoofer is the big boy.

i'm not a stereo guru, but because the pillar tweeters are so small , i'd think the crossover/amp thing would pick off only the highest highs, and leave plenty of bass and midrange for the 2 ways to play. they'd take away some, but it would sound ok, assuming you like the pillar tweeters blaring at you. personally i don't, or at least not w/o volume control on them.

if you don't replace the headunit, you'll have to run an amp of some kind, either the factory do-hickeys or an aftermarket. this is because (i think) the factory head doesn't output speaker level signal. it only outputs low level amp feed. do you know what i mean?

so you sort of have to stay on the edge, or jump all in...

its a fair amount of work, but not bad. see my big thread at the top. just disconnect the battery and replace everything. get something modern with an aux input jack for your mp3/ipod/phone thing.

if you do replace the head unit, then typically, the aftermarket unit will only have front and rear speaker outputs, so it becomes a little bit complicated to run all three pairs: front, rears, and pillars.

if you do replace the head, fronts, and rears then you're all in. get the dash kit/face plate, the wiring adapter for chrysler, new speaker wire, speakers, and do it all and either eliminate the pillars all together, or get more advice on how to wiring them in. i don't know.

Quick Reply: speakers