2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Towing a car with a Dodge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
olde-goat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a car with a Dodge Ram 1500

I am in the final stages in the restoration of my 65 GTO Convertible. Car has to be moved at least 4 times; upholstery shop, paint shop for touch up, muffler shop etc. There is at least 40+ miles between all these locations with last leg about 150 miles. Using a flat deck was going to be very costly for all the moves. I do not have a car trailer as my Dodge Ram 1500 V6 Auto is not powerful enough to move a fully loaded car hauler. I removed the front bumper and installed a tow bar to the frame rails. Car tows very well on the straight road portions, but I am having problems turning. I make wide turns but car will not track and I end up skidding the front end, once straight car tracks well again. I do not want to damage my new front end components. I should mention that the car has a power steering box. Car has not had a front alignment as yet and I only eye balled the adjustment on the front wheels. Has anyone towed this size of vehicle with success and could give me some advice. Thanks

Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

My buddy has a 5.2 and hauls his jeep grand cherokee that is all jacked up for mudding...he tows it to the mud runs on a flat deck now problem.....dont know if that helps you at all

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you allowing the steering to be free or do you have the steering wheel locked? When flat towing a vehicle, the steering wheel needs to be unlocked or "free wheeling" so the towed vehicle can track properly.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Steering on a 65 shouldn't lock at all.

Car dolly might not be a bad idea though.... uhaul rents them fairly cheap.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of these and it works great....
Name:  KK3.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  104.7 KB

Or you could rent one from Uhaul.....

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I have one of these and it works great....

Or you could rent one from Uhaul.....
I used a car dolly once -- and the vehicle I was towing fell off. I made absolutely certain it was properly secured and somehow made it through Denver before it fell off at Ft Collins. Over the years, I've encountered many people who've also had a vehicle come free from a tow dolly. Because of that I always recommend people use a full size trailer for hauling a vehicle.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:19 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive hauled 2 jeep grand cherokees with my truck, both on a heavy equipment trailer. course, i have the 5.2, but you should do ok with the v6. just take it easy, make sure you have a brake controller, a trans temp gauge, and an aux trans cooler.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flat deck trailer don't weigh much more than the car does..and it tows a little easier. less moving parts. I would tow it on a trailer. that little V6 should be able to handle it.

hell if you lived close I'd charge ya fuel and beer money, and tow it for ya with my lil 6 cylinder no guarantees that the car wont turn black though on the way if we hit some hills

Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Kar Kaddy I posted has hydraulic inertia brakes. I have towed everything from my wife's car to my Jag (backward as it is rear wheel drive) and hundreds of miles. Never had an issue. Easy to load even if vehicle does not run. In addition to wheel straps (correct size based on tire of car being towed) and the safety chains for car, it should not come off. Hauled step son's Taurus about two weeks ago to Houston (400 mile trip) and no problem. My car trailer weigs more than any car I tow, therfore increased load on truck that is towing, which is why I often use dolly.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I made absolutely certain it was properly secured and somehow made it through Denver before it fell off at Ft Collins.
If that was you with a Ford Taurus getting squirrely while being drug with the safety chains after it fell off a tow dolly just south of State College Blvd. in '95 or so, then the guy in the purty red '78 Cherokee who flipped you off on the way past was me. I nearly lumped my drawers when that Frod almost got me.

Quick Reply: Towing a car with a Dodge Ram 1500