2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012 | 11:56 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

FYI that trans would take ATF.

Old 09-11-2012 | 01:57 PM
Jigabop
Champion

you might have a broken spring in the clutch disk, or perhaps pressure plate is lifting uneven?

Old 09-11-2012 | 07:11 PM
95RAM360
|
Grand Champion

Well i had my old boss look at the car today for a second opinion...he said the pressure plate is bad....and he said i should swap the pistons in the slaves and put the old one in because my slave has a "dead spot" as he said where it can move about 3/4 of an inch without hitting the clutch...so im going to swap the pistons because he said the old one might be a little longer than the new aftermarket one....

We shall see tomorrow if that makes a difference

Old 09-15-2012 | 08:00 PM
95RAM360
|
Grand Champion

Alright i havent done much clutch wise but i need some knowledge for this...

The car has a cel for po441 purge valve not working/ clogged charcoal canister...had a stumble at idle and when running on the highway it would smell like rotten eggs...

Well today i totally took out the purge valve and hooked the lines back up. Now with no purge valve it idles much cleaner, runs smoother, no rotten egg smell on highway, and now somehow my clutch pedal catches at about 2/3 pedal instead of catching at very end of pedal.

Now is it bad to run it with no purge valve? And how do i tell if its bad? I cant blow threw it on either end nor can i suck air. Is that how it should be because like i said car runs much smoother....and i think it may have affected the clutch because i took off the line at the bottom of clutch master cylinder and let some fluid out...there was some gunk at the bottom of cylinder i cleaned it and re bled, now it catches better.

But real question is the purge valve...should i put it back in or is it ok to run like that?

Old 09-16-2012 | 12:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Purge valve opens when the PCM things the vapors collected in the charcoal canister need to be burned off.... Normally, it will be closed.

Quick Reply: Clutches