2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

beginningjockey's 360 to 318 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
They can go both ways. On the stock EFI fuel system, there is no return line either..... Running from high to such low pressure though, I think a return style system may have been a better idea.
No need for it: It is safer to have a returnless system. The engine is still using roughly the same amount of fuel, but at a lower pressure. If I put in a return type regulator, the pump would constantly be running at low line pressure, which is dangerous for the pump. This is the only EFI to carb regulator I could find, and Holley sells alot of these without any troubles occuring.

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
But where does the extra fuel go since he just has a spot for the fuel to go in from the pump and a spot to send it to go to the motor. The stock regulator drains the extra fuel out the bottom around where the fuel goes in.
It does the same thing still. All the regulator does is step the pressure down - it doesn't drain any extra fuel. It's like a valve that only opens in the fuel line when pressure drops below a certain setting on the output side. Hence there is no need for a fuel return.

More updates and pics 2morrow .

Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Looking forward to seeing some more work.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
But where does the extra fuel go since he just has a spot for the fuel to go in from the pump and a spot to send it to go to the motor. The stock regulator drains the extra fuel out the bottom around where the fuel goes in.
Valid point. Considering the pump is cooled by the fuel flowing thru it, might need to make some changes to the fuel system here.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW I would have replaced the high psi in tank pump with a low psi in tank pump so much less to deal with, but to each their own.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Valid point. Considering the pump is cooled by the fuel flowing thru it, might need to make some changes to the fuel system here.
It's not cooled by pressure, it's cooled by flow! The engine is not really using any less fuel than it was when it was EFI, it might even be using more with a carb. So the pump is still being cooled properly. Make sense?

Originally Posted by merc225hp
FWIW I would have replaced the high psi in tank pump with a low psi in tank pump so much less to deal with, but to each their own.
I tried that first but was unable to locate one. I would have had to drill my tank.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Update for y'all. I'm getting my engine here really soon, probably next week! I've got a lot of pics, just haven't had time to resize and upload them all. Engine has been pulled for a few weeks too. More later.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Got my new engine today . Thanks Scooter78! Not in the truck yet, I'm gonna be borrowing a friend's engine cherry picker so I can drop it in here within the next week. Pics later.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

First drive video! Sorry it took soo long to get it up, internet wasn't working right. I'm getting a whole picture album loaded and ready to go on photobucket, I'll post it up later.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Towing 8000lbs, including trailer weight, in 4th gear. sorry the video quality wasn't better, with the performance exhaust and then having the windows open because it was hot and the A/C wasn't working kinda made it fuzzy. Never had to downshift.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

You need a new wiper blade.

Quick Reply: beginningjockey's 360 to 318 swap