2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

beginningjockey's 360 to 318 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default beginningjockey's 360 to 318 swap

So now I've finally settled on the plan for the RAM. I've got a 318 engine I'm getting to replace the 360 in the RAM. It's a 318 Magnum with Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 4-barrel carb. It's got 100K on it, so not too bad! Complete engine I get for $500.

So I'm gonna post pics etc. here of the engine pulling process, and also on converting the 2nd gen chassis to a carb instead of EFI.

The PCM will still be in control of cruise, gauges, and for now the regulator (I'll change that down the road).

I'm swapping my 360 flywheel for his 318 flywheel since he needs a 360 flywheel and I need a 318 flywheel.

I will not be reusing the EFI fuel pump. Instead I will be running a new fuel line with a inline fuel pump to match the carb.

I also will be replacing motor mounts at the same time as insurance against their failure .

So at the present I am getting my shop cleaned so I have enough room for all of this.

More later. Oh, since

I will be sure to get pics for y'all .

Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

just drop the fuel injected intake on the 318 and call it a day.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
just drop the fuel injected intake on the 318 and call it a day.
If I did that, then I'd have to pay $175 to get my PCM refurbished, plus $365 in custom tuning, not to mention all the other parts I'd need to swap intakes.

For now, it goes in carb'd. If I decide I want EFI again later, it won't be altogether that hard to switch back again, because I'll have the EFI stuff still. I'm hoping to stroke the 360 later if money and time allow. A carb'd engine is at least better than no engine lol.

Besides, why do all the big name magazines use a carburetor on their project big-power Magnum engines? Most I've ever seen used a carb, and those that didn't always used a aftermarket EFI setup.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

probably because the cars came from the factory carbed and it is cheaper to stick a carb on a engine that is going into something that was already carbed. you would be looking at at least $200 for the ignition system for a carbed engine plus $100 for new fuel pump. then there are many other things that may be getting overlooked. plus sticking a Fuel injection setup in a old car get expensive quick. you are usually looking at $2000+

Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy the diesel you've been looking at and sell the 1500

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
probably because the cars came from the factory carbed and it is cheaper to stick a carb on a engine that is going into something that was already carbed. you would be looking at at least $200 for the ignition system for a carbed engine plus $100 for new fuel pump. then there are many other things that may be getting overlooked. plus sticking a Fuel injection setup in a old car get expensive quick. you are usually looking at $2000+
I think you are misunderstanding. I'm not converting a 318 magnum I'm buying to carb, it's already converted for 20K mi. and running good. I'm just retrofiting a few things in our truck to make the carb setup work.

Also I was referring to a Magnum engine in the perf magazines, that were EFI before they grabbed them for a project.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html

Originally Posted by stewie01
Just buy the diesel you've been looking at and sell the 1500
I'm gonna get this one running

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Oh and it comes with all the ignition parts AND the fuel pump

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
I think you are misunderstanding. I'm not converting a 318 magnum I'm buying to carb, it's already converted for 20K mi. and running good. I'm just retrofiting a few things in our truck to make the carb setup work.

Also I was referring to a Magnum engine in the perf magazines, that were EFI before they grabbed them for a project.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html

I'm gonna get this one running
Good plan, you'll get more for it in (good) running condition

Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
Good plan, you'll get more for it in (good) running condition
I've got a couple people who want it already LOL... I won't name the price I quoted them for it though as it might cause some reprecussions lol... so if you wanna know PM me.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

I can't wait to see how this works out. I plan on replacing my 318 with a mildly built 360 and convert the truck over to a carb since I have no way of tuning the obi-1 and it's cool and has less parts.

Quick Reply: beginningjockey's 360 to 318 swap