2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2015 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Wonder if he has a couple bowling ***** sitting next to it in the bed.......

Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poor truck. Biggest stack I ever saw was an old oil drum with the end cut off.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:48 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compensation, douche bag probably thinks he's the **** too.

Sad.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by schmidtp
I am not very knowledgeable with diesel, but after a point doesn't an extremely large exhaust negatively affect performance?
He has a 4" or 5" exhaust from the turbo to the bottom of that pipe. As all the others have said it just stupid.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Every stop light he was "rolling coal" I guess you call it. Pretty much blanketed the entire road with black smoke.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Every stop light he was "rolling coal" I guess you call it. Pretty much blanketed the entire road with black smoke.
I'd just about swear that I know that truck from Tucson, Arizona. Same goofyass stack, same Cummins sticker, same or very similar wheels, same ghost trailer, same coal rolling idiocy. I never bothered to wander over to say hello and probably wouldn't recognize the driver again if he were standing on my porch, but the truck in your photo is the spitting image of that one from Tucson.

The scary part was that there was a travel trailer of at least 28' in length parked in the same yard and that rig was the only one there even remotely close to capable of towing it. I figured that a guy who thought a chromed sewer pipe made a bitchen exhaust probably didn't do much thinking at all and never considered the leverage that the lift on the truck gives to the trailer behind.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

That sucks. It is guys like that that have caused a lot of the negative actions against diesel trucks. Matter of fact it was due to a guy Roll Coal on a state assemblyman in NJ that caused a new law to be added.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/could-...123450102.html

There is a time and place for everything and on the public road is not the place for Roll Coal.

Sorry for the Rant it just bugs me when the few ruin it for the many.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
He has a 4" or 5" exhaust from the turbo to the bottom of that pipe. As all the others have said it just stupid.
sure it's not the stock 3"? lol

2nd gens didn't have 4" stock. that's aftermarket.

5" downpipe he definitely didn't have unless he has compound twins.

as for other dudes question: no larger exhaust post turbo does not negatively effect performance on a turbo diesel.

it is however very stupid looking.

My truck runs 5" straight pipe from the primary turbo (S475) back to the right rear fender.

having stock 3" exhaust on the truck will negatively effect performance in the form of heat on a performance tuned truck. 4" to 5" tops is more than adequate to reduce EGTs on the truck.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:06 PM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was young and dumb everyone I knew was building a 'hot rod' of some sort.

It was only natural that I do the same in my own way. It was also only natural that some of the guys had lots more money than others. Its darn hard to build a 10 second car without a viable income of several thousand dollars an hour. {or at least several hundred a week, I think,... maybe}

Anyway most of the guys I knew were putting headers on their stock engines with straight pipes or maybe glass pack mufflers and wondering why they suddenly were not getting the fuel mileage they used to.

Many experienced reduced performance as well. The reason was the exhaust system is part of the overall tune of the engine. You needed the right amount of back pressure on the exhaust to make the engine perform like it is supposed to.

If you bothered to {read that as 'could afford to'} do all the engine modifications needed to have a really fast car then straight pipes did make a big difference. Its damn hard to convince some 17 year old that it was necessary to have mufflers when he could plainly see that the dragsters and other race cars did not have them.

Simply stating that my buggy was not a race car did not help much.

It took until I was in my early 20's and built my 'T' bucket with the flat head V8 to figure it out myself. I put a fancy looking polished aluminum Edelbrock high rise intake which I had sent off to be bead blasted inside to make it smoother inside, with a shiny and bright Holly 4 barrel carburetor and a rather nice Hilborn scoop and a set of chrome plated Hooker headers on it.

I spent weeks porting and polishing the intake and exhaust for better 'flow'.

It looked as good as any T bucket of the era. It was also very loud but not particularly 'fast'. I soon got tired of tickets for excessively loud exhaust and installed some glass pack mufflers that did very little to help quiet the vehicle so later in installed some 'real' mufflers and tossed the glass packs in the corner of the garage. The Hilborn scoop had room enough to put an oval air cleaner inside which helped knock down the intake noise a lot too.

With those two additional things the car started getting better MPG and seemed to have better power under acceleration. This was by butt dyno as there were no real dynamometers around my area to check it with at that time.

Having the air cleaner filter installed helped a lot on drive ability in the rain too.

Last edited by tired old man; 06-09-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone here might be interested in this...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...gstaff-az.html

Quick Reply: The Official 2015 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread