2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Brakestand...wtf??? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 AM
offroadzj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brakestand...wtf??? Please help!

So i was at a stop light tonight next to a buddy of mine, and decided to mess around a little bit and do a brakestand just for the hell of it. However, when I tried it, the engine would rev up to about 3 or 4k but the tires would NOT break loose. I even tried letting go of teh brake for a second, and still nothing. The rpm's arent going any higher either though. I dunno if its related, but it also seems to have a really sluggish low end. As in if I step on the gas hard, it takes a second for the truck to get moving good (almost as if it was having turbo lag.. lol).

Short history: Its a 2000 1500 w/ the 360. Just yesterday I put a new intake, new plugs, and new wires on it, and the oil was changed about a month ago. I also have the superchips programmer running on performance w/ 93 octane currently. The brakes were done when I bought it in October. I do believe I have a bad plenum gasket b/c when I did the oil change, it was very low (barely showing up on the dipstick), and it had only been about 2kmi since the last change. Also, I just aired the tires up to 55psi about 3 days ago. I think thats about it.

Any ideas on what this could be. I am really hoping its not the tranny (which I doubt b/c the rpms dont continue to climb... so it doesnt appear to be slipping, but it is a dodge tranny ).
Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Jonah Hex
Default RE: No Brakestand...wtf??? Please help!

Just shootin` from the hip, butcheck to make sure you don`t have vacuum leak in the intake that you just replaced, and that the wires are correct. The correct firing order is stamped on your original intake. The distributor cap should be marked as to which one is # 1.
If it isn`t, use the tried and true method of putting # 1 cylinder at TDC and check where the rotor is pointing.

Jonah

Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, there is nothing wrong with dodge trannys.

Im betting its your plenum gasket, 360 rams have plenty of power.
my 318 will do it and not even start to break a sweat, so something is obviously wrong with yours.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:58 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Could be running rich. I have read where people were getting a/f's of like 10.1 at wot off the line.

If it is real important to you you could try line locks, or you can spend 2-3k and a week and really get her moving.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has it been flashed?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Yeah ... something's wrong for sure ... at first I thought no big deal ... probably stock with a LS diff. But then I read it had some mods including a Superchips program running 93. Could be plenum gasket.

The RPM's not climbing higher isn't a problem ... the fact that it got as high as it did is a surprise to me. You're not supposed to get much higher than the TC's stall speed. Check your tranny fluid level. Also, what tires and gearing do you have?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
offroadzj

Yea, the deathflash has been corrected via the superchips programmer. I also have an edelbrock 14" round intake (checked, and its sealed properly). I also have a gibson cat-back exhaust (side exit in front of the tire). I am running 285/75 16 bfg a/t, but the rears are almost drag slicks. I believe gearing is 3.7*, but I am not 100% sure. I tried checking the axle, but cant find the stamp anywhere that has it. I'll have to order another build sheet to check it. I'll check out the tranny fluid tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

should be able to burn em just by mashin the gas without the brake. if your SLAMING on the brakes, just give it a little bit instead. That may also stop you from burnin. but still, it should be able to burn em with the brakes slammed. you sound like you got the torque but its lost someplace. ill +1 the running rich comment.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
JarheadX
All Star

gut ur cat

Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 AM
offroadzj

well i have a magnaflow 3" that i was going to put on today, but where it connects to the cat seems to be the exact same size as the cat, so it may not be a task I can do right now. Cant just gut b/c inspection is due soon.