2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long tubes vs. shorties

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tubes vs. shorties

This is all I have for now. I didn't have the heart tostart her up on a Sunday afternoon in the neighborhood. I do have about 3' into the 3" y, but, from past experience, I know how loud it will be. TheInstall was a breeze until I got to the point where I needed a 3x3 coupling. I went to three different auto parts to no avail. Hopefully,I will post scanner/running results sometime tomorrow. This is a pic of the Eddy shorty that I removed next to the port side Long tube prior to installation.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29576/2FE44F82844B4E0D93312467DEB4A1F0.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Default RE: Long tubes vs. shorties

These headers rock. After the 20-25 mods I've done to this truck, this one is definitely in the top 5. I say that knowing that this is what my combo was screaming for. It may not have carried the same weight a year ago, but this one is up there as far as bang for the buck goes. I was skeptical when Marty over at Krc said that they picked up 33ft./lbs, but now I believe him. My rear wheels are hopping and spinning all over the place. When I make a turn from a stop ~1/2 throttle spins them.

An interesting aside that has been discussed here many times:

After unsuccessfullycalling around looking for a coupling to get me to the exhaust shop, I said f-it and drove it there the way it was. It was God awful loud. I took it to a shop that does a lot of race cars in the area. Thehead honcholet me hang outside/in the bay door while he was working on my truck. I struck up a conversation about back pressure, hp, and tq as it pertains to exhaust systems. He said that it is not so much the pipe size within reason as it is the layout.

Basically he said you start big, and get smaller as you move away from the headers. He said alot of guys complain about loss of power and torque because they come in with the factory y going into the factory cat, and then want big pipe from there back. He essentially said that this ruins the flow and scavenging ability of the whole system. The exhaust gas is hottest (and expansive)when itcomes out of the heads. It then cools (and condenses)as it moves through the system, so, if you havesmall manifolds and and a small y pipe moving expanded hot exhaust gas that dumps into a large pipe and cools, the flow velocity is lost.

It was pretty interesting. He was a ford guy though. He had a 90 somethingmustangrunning in the 9's and a seventy something running 8's. He had an article out of Hot Rod on the wall spotlighting the 70's mustang

Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

awesome, im glad they finally came in. They are so cool arent they? Definately a huge atvantage, ya know. Do you feel a big diffrence? Your still running aY yes? is it catted or not? lets see some pics.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.I wanted duals, and actually had a guy say he'd do it. Turns out he was just a peon that didn't know wtf he was talking about. In Va., if your vehicle was factory equipped with one cat, the that's the way it has to stay. I called over 30 shops, they all said no way. It's a25k fine for them, 5k for me.

I ended up getting the Pacesetter Y. I am running a cat. It is a racing cat. It's like a8" long piece of 3.5" pipe with a hole down the center and some catalyst off to the sides. Ithas a metallic core rather than a ceramic one.

The difference is amazing. I can tell by the a/f meter and the scanner that the pcm is still learning them, but they just friggin rock. This is what mymotor has been screaming for.

Did you ever get your 02 sensor into the bung on the header?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

who makes them headers? and what was the cost?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Pacesetter makes them. IIRC they were $420 for silver ceramic coated. Summit sells them cheaper than anybody else I found. They Y ran me ~$130.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4839039+400091

$433 I guess. The link is for the 4wd version.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

id like to know how that finish handles the warmups/cooldowns.. if you could keep an eye on that for me and let me know.. that would be great!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

i did get it in the bung, the bung was too big, but it shrunk slightly with heat cycles so i took out hte plug and replaced it with an o2. it runs real nice now.

i still have yet to get an a/f meeter, but i plan on it

shott, the finish holds up very well, no blueing like other finishes, no cracking. it still looks like the day i put them in.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

The exhaust guy commented on how nice the ceramic coat job was. The only thing that worries me is that they are coated inside and out. Will the stuff flake off and clog the cat???? Only time will tell I guess.

Hey shott- I do have a pair of Eddy's for sale. Complete with the rust-dot finish. Maybe if I send some pics to RM_Indy, he can do a page called Ti-Tech_sucks.com .

Quick Reply: Long tubes vs. shorties