2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel loss of torque..wtf?

Of course your gas mileage sucks right now. First you have a new mod to play with so I'm sure that your racing around everywher. Plus all of the exhaust movies waste gas (not that we don't appreciate them). Also you just did the mod a week ago. Stop looking at the overhead display and give it some time.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Originally the exhaust manifolds are held on with 4 bolts and two studs with nuts. Since you still have a stud with nut it just means he didn't bother to pull that stud out of your head. Possibly because he didn't want to , or possibly because he didn't have the proper tool. Whatever the reason it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thank you for that clarification, I just had personally never invested much time into looking at the stock set-up, so it just struck me odd, that's good to know though, thanks!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't ever take your truck back to that mechanic after this...

If he can't install a set of headers on a Dodge Ram he needs to go back to mechanic school, and then he needs to go to Sears and buy some new tools. You don't have to pull the engine or anything to put them on. Personally I woulnd't even trust him to bend a pipe if he can't do this job without scewing it up. It's a scale of 1-5 one being the easiest and five being the hardest, a header install is a 2.

Chances are all this guy does is take old mufflers off and put new mufflers on all day. Hell I'm honestly surprised he was even capable of gutting your cat if he thought the headers were such a bitch.

I wouldn't take your "project" truck to him anymore. I'd take your beater civic down there when the muffler falls off and let him put a new one on maybe, but that's about it.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

I wouldn't ever take your truck back to that mechanic after this...

If he can't install a set of headers on a Dodge Ram he needs to go back to mechanic school, and then he needs to go to Sears and buy some new tools. You don't have to pull the engine or anything to put them on. Personally I woulnd't even trust him to bend a pipe if he can't do this job without scewing it up. It's a scale of 1-5 one being the easiest and five being the hardest, a header install is a 2.

Chances are all this guy does is take old mufflers off and put new mufflers on all day. Hell I'm honestly surprised he was even capable of gutting your cat if he thought the headers were such a bitch.

I wouldn't take your "project" truck to him anymore. I'd take your beater civic down there when the muffler falls off and let him put a new one on maybe, but that's about it.
HA HA HA! (seriously I'm laughing outloud) Its true though. Talking about just the headers themselves its on the easier side, the hardest part (actually more annoying than anything) was unbolting the power steering pump so I could slide the drivers side header into place.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

HAHA well actually he isn't even the one who gutted my cat. And it's true too, our dodges are easy compared to a lot of these other trucks. The only reason I went with him was because he displayed such great confidence when he did my brothers true dual last summer. Everyone turned us down and was bitching and moaning about how they weren't going to be able to make it stay flush with the chassy and blah blah blah. This guy said OK and did an amazing job and did some great bends, but apparently thats where his exhaust expertise stops... He even displayed confidence in my job, he was willing to do it, was excited about it, and said 3-4 hours. It's all cause of the damn blizzard, that thing just jinxed the whole project. But yeah, that's what it has pretty much boiled down to, after I get my truck out of there tomorrow, I am not bringing it back there ever again, and it's sad, because he usually always did us well. And he's a bitch of a trip as well, it's 20 miles from where I live, so if he's not even going to be bringing the heat, then he's done in my book. He was even sulking today a little bit. The fact he completely bowed out of doing my brothers headers goes to show he is still recovering from his post tramautic stress with mine, he's still living the header nightmare because I had to bring the damn thing back down to him. I mean c'mon, who seriouslly puts a fricken cat at the collector of a header, thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard lol. Anyway, I'm picking it back up tomorrow afternoon, and then it's later to him...Me and my brother our putting the headers in ourselves on his truck now because everyone is too ****ing ***** to do it, and then we're having the place that put his true dual in (place that put my headers in) but their system up to his headers, and then that's the end of our business with them, because we have no use for them now..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you get it back? Whats the update?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Nope, fricken guy has has it for two straight days, all problems better be MINT when I get it back tomorrow morning otherwise I will be really pissed off..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man. You seem to be having the same problem I am recently with stuff being crappy and taking too long.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah def. man, it's been a rough winter lol. I can't wait till summer comes and I can just have everything back to normal. I'm going crazy with the truck always being dirty and **** being weird. But she'll be ready to go for the summer time, that will be exciting.

Quick Reply: LT Headers+Y-Pipe in..I feel I lost some torque?