2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How free is too free? (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How free is too free? (exhaust)

I guess that's the way it looks[8D]

Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no no no i never said that. indy said that he figured his exhaust out too. to me personally, ITS ALL SPLITTING HAIRS. the differences we're talking about are so small its rediculous. in any case, if you want real advice, talk to indy or myself. i don't own a dodge, but i have 2 buddies that do for what that's worth.

as for padodgeram: lol yeah i was just messing with you i dont have a geo...wish i did...[:'(]

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

20DodgeNeon00,
Quick question for you. Speaking technically now, why did you get headers?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Just something I forgot to mention. I know I've been going "my mechanic this .... my mechanic that" alot lately and thats because he's been a mopar guy for YEARS and he's known for being an excellent mechanic. Most of the people with hotrods or racecars go to him to get things straightend out, he's good. With that said, he told me that he pretty much always suggests shorty headers for magnum motors unless the guy is rolling with more mods. Just thought you might like another opinion.

well to be quite frank....your mechanic is a fu*king retard. No one in their right mind would advocate shorties for any setup to make power UNLESS there is a fittment issue. Thats why they were invented, thats the only thing they are good for. IMHO
Well I'm gonna go ahead and tell you I don't agree. Shorties have there place just like long tubes and its not just due to fitment. He advocates shorties to people that don't intend to get crazy with the modding. I love my Pacesetter long tubes but they just arn't for everybody.

well im gonna go ahead and say the same thing about you as your venerable mechanic...

Im not attacking you. Im just stating what your oppinions and state of mind are. 20DodgeNeon00 doesnt really know what hes talking about (no offence intended) Anytime you put longtubes on anything you make more power than shorties over a broader range. The idea that shorties are good came from ricers and people that dont know what they are doing (most mustang owners and f body owners) Everyone just follows what they heard from someone else. THAT IS THE WRONG WAY TO LEARN. Research untill your sick of learning, and then do that 10 more times untill you have a definate answer. Granted it is helpful to have someones oppinion who is more experienced, but experience must be taken with a grain of salt. There are some people that are fit to give advice and MOST that arent. Forums are a great example. It gives any hoolagin with a keyboard the abilityto pretend he knows what hes talking about, and because people dont know anything they listen, which just creates 2 people that dont know what they are talking about giving advice, and so on so on so on. Im not saying your mechanic is a forum junkie but he damn well gives advice like one. Same goes for mechanics. It seems that they give certifications to anyone that bought a wrench. I have absolutely 0 training from anyplace that would certify me in anything, but I can wrench circles arround a vast majority of so called mechanics. Just because someones business does this or that to cars of a "high performance" nature doesnt give him any more/less credit. As my favorite quote from the movie Gettysburg says, "Take men one at a time."

Back to my point of researching. I have a general rule of thumb for the work I do to my stuff. I do about 10-20 hours of research for every hour of predicted work. Take a guess at how long I spent looking over **** for my swap. That may sound way excessive, but it works for me. For me time is much less valuable than money, so I spend my time doing something thats going to save me money.
No worries Indy I dont get the feeling your attacking me, I enjoy reading a good debate because I think you can learn alot from them. I absolutely agree with you about research, it took me 11 months of research to decide what vehicle I wanted next. I spent two months deciding what exhaust to install. I read stuff on here, other forums, online articles (hot rodding, engine building, blah blah), and talked with a reputable mopar mechanic. My research lead me to the Longtubes due to primary size/length, two into one system, and a magnaflow muffler. Anyway the whole point is that if I had just gone with themajority I'd probably have shorties with a flowmaster dual exhaust (notthat it would be a bad thing at all, it just wouldn't haveworked for me). Research is important to find what you THINK is going to work for you. Oh and I still disagree with you about the shorties

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

No worries Indy I dont get the feeling your attacking me, I enjoy reading a good debate because I think you can learn alot from them. I absolutely agree with you about research, it took me 11 months of research to decide what vehicle I wanted next. I spent two months deciding what exhaust to install. I read stuff on here, other forums, online articles (hot rodding, engine building, blah blah), and talked with a reputable mopar mechanic. My research lead me to the Longtubes due to primary size/length, two into one system, and a magnaflow muffler. Anyway the whole point is that if I had just gone with themajority I'd probably have shorties with a flowmaster dual exhaust (notthat it would be a bad thing at all, it just wouldn't haveworked for me). Research is important to find what you THINK is going to work for you. Oh and I still disagree with you about the shorties
Dude, I thought you had a magnalfow muffler? When did you do the swap?Haha...look @ ur sig.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

Dude, I thought you had a magnalfow muffler? When did you do the swap?Haha...look @ ur sig.
I do havethe magnaflow. I think you may have misread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

SNAFU

Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

20DodgeNeon00,
Same reason all of us do, to free up more horsepower. Headers are the first true foundation for building an engine up. Gains have been made with the headers now, but still have yet to be maximized until further work down the line is done to the truck. Why do you ask though?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

20DodgeNeon00,
Same reason all of us do, to free up more horsepower. Headers are the first true foundation for building an engine up. Gains have been made with the headers now, but still have yet to be maximized until further work down the line is done to the truck. Why do you ask though?
IndyRamMan, let me ask you the same question. From a purely technical standpoint, why did you install headers.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

i did mine cause every one else is doing it , plus it makes the exhaust note sound good , thats after i replaced the muffler bearing...

Quick Reply: How free is too free? (exhaust)