2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How free is too free? (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How free is too free? (exhaust)

yea iv seen that. first...your talking about such a small diffrence in that test that its not even funny. second...6 more horse, so no on the horse side. and -5 on the torque side. THOUGH...peak power numbers dont mean a thing. You should know that. Look at the over all. Add them up the LTs produce more power overall, and more average power. The only thing that is proved in that test is that shorties are more "peakey" than longtubes. Either way, that senario is too close to even give a care. THAT is exactly why people think shorties are better....WHY? because on the 5.0, with the typical know nothing owner with basic bolt ons and whatever wont make much of a diffrence what type of header you choose (that is seat of the pants feel, which is what people care about that dont know what they are talking about) Then ontop of that, the shorties are almost half as expensive as the longtubes. ONTOP of THAT, you can get coated shorties for 1/3 the cost of coated longtubes, so the people that do get the longtubes usuially dont fork out the money for coated ones, and they rust and give longtubes a bad name. The moral of the story is theres a real world reason to my ryme.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

INDY, wtf. I don't know what I'm talking about...please. I may not know how to rebuild an engine, but there are some things I have a very good general knowledge of, and that's exhaust. My exhaust system is esquisite for a reason, and that's because I designed it all. Just because not all of us know aren't mechanically advanced, does not mean some of us do not know what we're talking about. I may not be the greatest do it yourselfer, but I'm sure as hell sure I know a lot of other things besides engines that I personally am VERY good at. I don't like how people are considered unknowledgable or disrespected because they do not do everything themselves, that isn't realisitic. Not everyone is cut out for this kind of work, that's why there are mechanics... Like I said, there are some things I do that people could never do. Obviously I'm not that advanced mechanically, but I am learning. I know way more than the average person though, if I didn't, my truck would look and perform as good as it does. You have to somewhat know what your doing to engineer a great looking truck. Again, I don't care what anyone thinks of me, but it's the blunt assumptions that are stupid. I do know what I am talking about on certain topics, and exhaust is one of them. I'm learning everyday, I'm 18 years old. Man, I didn't even know what a cold air intake was when I first got my license, and now I look back and see how much more I know, it's insane. SO while some here are very good mechanically speaking like yourself, it doesn't give anyone the right to condescend somebody because they don't know how to do it themselves...Personally, I'd be hardpressed for time to ever have my truck paralyzed for more than a couple days, I need it for work, school, and all other hells in life. But again, I am learning, and I'm learning fast, but saying I don't know what I'm talking about is just obsurd man.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, I love a spirited debate! Especially when people cite actual articles.

[sm=popcorn.gif]

"Get your popcorn ready." - Terrell Owens

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

INDY, wtf. I don't know what I'm talking about...please. I may not know how to rebuild an engine, but there are some things I have a very good general knowledge of, and that's exhaust. My exhaust system is esquisite for a reason, and that's because I designed it all. Just because not all of us know aren't mechanically advanced, does not mean some of us do not know what we're talking about. I may not be the greatest do it yourselfer, but I'm sure as hell sure I know a lot of other things besides engines that I personally am VERY good at. I don't like how people are considered unknowledgable or disrespected because they do not do everything themselves, that isn't realisitic. Not everyone is cut out for this kind of work, that's why there are mechanics... Like I said, there are some things I do that people could never do. Obviously I'm not that advanced mechanically, but I am learning. I know way more than the average person though, if I didn't, my truck would look and perform as good as it does. You have to somewhat know what your doing to engineer a great looking truck. Again, I don't care what anyone thinks of me, but it's the blunt assumptions that are stupid. I do know what I am talking about on certain topics, and exhaust is one of them. I'm learning everyday, I'm 18 years old. Man, I didn't even know what a cold air intake was when I first got my license, and now I look back and see how much more I know, it's insane. SO while some here are very good mechanically speaking like yourself, it doesn't give anyone the right to condescend somebody because they don't know how to do it themselves...Personally, I'd be hardpressed for time to ever have my truck paralyzed for more than a couple days, I need it for work, school, and all other hells in life. But again, I am learning, and I'm learning fast, but saying I don't know what I'm talking about is just obsurd man.

like i said i intended no offence. BUT if you insist.... you say you know what your talking about with exhaust... then answer me these questions. You said you designed your exhaust? Howso? You just picked parts and bought them. (incase you are wondering, I went under my truck measured length and angles, mocked up a system, and took the time to figgure out how it will perform. Then I gave my information to someone who has the ability to weld and all he did was bend pipes and weld ****.) Second....HOW on earth can you know about exhausts if you cant figgure out an engine? One is dependant on another. They arent seperate systems.

I think its great that you are learning, and by all means im not trying to **** on you for that. All im saying to you and everyone, is that you need to be honest with yourself as to your true knowledge and your abilities, and help people according to what you actually can give real solid input on. It does no one any good to talk blindly. Sorry if it offends anyone for me to speek so bluntly, but that is the sort of thing that created the whole ricer scene.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok...Blindy, that would entail not having an exhaust system. I personally run this exhaust system, and I have true and real life experiences with it. How do you say I didn't engineer my own exhaust system? I knew exactly what sizes and what products to buy. I knew when I did my catback that it should be 3" because once I got the headers later down the road they were going to have 3" collectors. Call me crazy, but I wasn't just blindly going into an exhaust operation, it was all well thought out and exercised. Everyone here on the forum has a certain respect for you because you do know how to do a lot to your engine, apparently have a lot of time on your hands, your lucky, I wish I did...but your using your reputation in the wrong way. Disrepsecting fellow dodge owners on the forum, and questioning their knowledge and advice just is not right. There a reason why I don't comment on the suspension, gearing, and cams threads, because I don't know anything about them...BUT, exhaust, yeah...that's my money spot. I don't know anyone else that has made the SUPER 44 scream and perform as loud as I have, that's a pretty damn good testiment. I also inject a lot of my energy into curb appeal, that takes knowledge as well of knowing what looks good and keeping up with the times. My truck has a widespread audience and that is no mistake, everything thing I do to my truck is all calculated. For the amount of years I've been in auto, I'm considered advanced. Most of my friends who own trucks don't even know how to start an exhaust system,let alone where and how to get the right parts. So remember, we aren't talking about rebuilding engines in this thread, we're talking about exhausts. I have first hand knowledge of exhaust because I run it, so I have the ability to apply my input into this thread, and shouldn't be getting questioned from other dodge members in the derrogatory fashion that I've been getting it. Indy, you know a lot about engines, great, but it doesn't give you the right to assume I don't know what I'm talking about with exhaust. I'm pretty sure an 8.5 second 0-60 on a lifted truck with huge tires is pretty damn impressive...RIGHT? Ok, I can put input on exhaust...PERIOD.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Ok...Blindy, that would entail not having an exhaust system. I personally run this exhaust system, and I have true and real life experiences with it. How do you say I didn't engineer my own exhaust system? I knew exactly what sizes and what products to buy. I knew when I did my catback that it should be 3" because once I got the headers later down the road they were going to have 3" collectors. Call me crazy, but I wasn't just blindly going into an exhaust operation, it was all well thought out and exercised. Everyone here on the forum has a certain respect for you because you do know how to do a lot to your engine, apparently have a lot of time on your hands, your lucky, I wish I did...but your using your reputation in the wrong way. Disrepsecting fellow dodge owners on the forum, and questioning their knowledge and advice just is not right. There a reason why I don't comment on the suspension, gearing, and cams threads, because I don't know anything about them...BUT, exhaust, yeah...that's my money spot. I don't know anyone else that has made the SUPER 44 scream and perform as loud as I have, that's a pretty damn good testiment. I also inject a lot of my energy into curb appeal, that takes knowledge as well of knowing what looks good and keeping up with the times. My truck has a widespread audience and that is no mistake, everything thing I do to my truck is all calculated. For the amount of years I've been in auto, I'm considered advanced. Most of my friends who own trucks don't even know how to start an exhaust system,let alone where and how to get the right parts. So remember, we aren't talking about rebuilding engines in this thread, we're talking about exhausts. I have first hand knowledge of exhaust because I run it, so I have the ability to apply my input into this thread, and shouldn't be getting questioned from other dodge members in the derrogatory fashion that I've been getting it. Indy, you know a lot about engines, great, but it doesn't give you the right to assume I don't know what I'm talking about with exhaust. I'm pretty sure an 8.5 second 0-60 on a lifted truck with huge tires is pretty damn impressive...RIGHT? Ok, I can put input on exhaust...PERIOD.

well...its the firstpart of thesecond to last statement that allows me to assume the second part of that. I guess you dont know what you dont know untill you know what you didnt know.I know that I have a decent reputation on here for knowing my ****, and Im sorry if you feel that im using that in any way to pick on you or anyone else. Im really not TRYING to pick on you, Im just trying to help correct you where you are wrong. I cant stress enough that im NOT trying to **** on anyone or hurt their feelings. I may be more direct and to the point than people would like to hear, yes, but thats all it is, is directness. (I think thats a new word). I still dont agree that you put enough of your own ideas into your exhaust to say you "designed" it. Granted, you had foresight and put parts together well, but thats about it. Just because its a "custom" system that isnt ordered from a catalogue in one piece doesnt mean you designed it. I dont know if you are getting what im saying, but basicly Custom doesnt equal Designed.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
I guess you dont know what you dont know untill you know what you didnt know.
That's one of those things that should be written in stone somewhere honestly...

Now try to say it 5 times fast

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan
I guess you dont know what you dont know untill you know what you didnt know.
That's one of those things that should be written in stone somewhere honestly...

Now try to say it 5 times fast
lol. its a tounge twister!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I just don't get what the differance is between you getting underneath your truck and "calculating" your exhaust, and me getting underneath my truck and calculating what was going to work. I didn't just buy some random parts with random sizes. I knew what the truck was going to want, she's a monster truck, and I was right with picking all the sizes. The only thing I didn't do was do the actual welding, but I told the exhaust shops EXACTLY how and where I wanted ****. So If I had personally welded it, would I still not be the designer of it?...or? I'm not pissed, but I'm just trying to clear up where you think I don't know what I'm talking about retaining to exhaust..that's all.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I just don't get what the differance is between you getting underneath your truck and "calculating" your exhaust, and me getting underneath my truck and calculating what was going to work. I didn't just buy some random parts with random sizes. I knew what the truck was going to want, she's a monster truck, and I was right with picking all the sizes. The only thing I didn't do was do the actual welding, but I told the exhaust shops EXACTLY how and where I wanted ****. So If I had personally welded it, would I still not be the designer of it?...or? I'm not pissed, but I'm just trying to clear up where you think I don't know what I'm talking about retaining to exhaust..that's all.

Ill concede the point. I understand the idea of figguring out what pieces fit together to complete the exhaust puzzle being custom. I guess you can call it whatever you want. Im not going to set what I did as the bar for whatever, but as far as Im concerned, I would venture to say I put more R&D into mine than most major companies such as flowmaster or magnaflow do into theirs. Many hours of math and physics were spent to figgure out just what was optimal. (The guy that welded my **** together decided to freelance his own ideas into it which severely pissed me off but what can ya do) I plan on getting it to my original idea later this summer.

Quick Reply: How free is too free? (exhaust)