2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How free is too free? (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How free is too free? (exhaust)

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

20DodgeNeon00,
Quick question for you. Speaking technically now, why did you get headers?
Same reason all of us do, to free up more horsepower. Headers are the first true foundation for building an engine up. Gains have been made with the headers now, but still have yet to be maximized until further work down the line is done to the truck. Why do you ask though?
IndyRamMan, let me ask you the same question. From a purely technical standpoint, why did you install headers.
lol, this game is fun.

Short answer. Maximise flow.

Call me by my name if you could. Andy.

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

i did mine cause every one else is doing it , plus it makes the exhaust note sound good , thats after i replaced the muffler bearing...
your my boy, blue!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same reason all of us do, to free up more horsepower.
20DodgeNeon00 only,
Tell me how this happens? How do headers free up horsepower?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

20DodgeNeon00 only,

think your getting to the crux of my argument there.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

20DodgeNeon00 only,

Sorry I didn't know it was an exclusive game. It was good answer though wasn't it.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, you ruined it. I wanted to hear it from 20DodgeNeon00.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

No worries Indy I dont get the feeling your attacking me, I enjoy reading a good debate because I think you can learn alot from them. I absolutely agree with you about research, it took me 11 months of research to decide what vehicle I wanted next. I spent two months deciding what exhaust to install. I read stuff on here, other forums, online articles (hot rodding, engine building, blah blah), and talked with a reputable mopar mechanic. My research lead me to the Longtubes due to primary size/length, two into one system, and a magnaflow muffler. Anyway the whole point is that if I had just gone with themajority I'd probably have shorties with a flowmaster dual exhaust (notthat it would be a bad thing at all, it just wouldn't haveworked for me). Research is important to find what you THINK is going to work for you. Oh and I still disagree with you about the shorties
Dude, I thought you had a magnalfow muffler? When did you do the swap?Haha...look @ ur sig.
I do havethe magnaflow. I think you may have misread

HAHA, was just trying to mess with you.We got this nice heated battle goingon,and I thought i'd throw a joke in and lighten things up a bit. Look at the attached picture and you'll see what I ment.

[IMG]local://upfiles/60925/729BB81E47E14AD7B6771A0CC6CB7129.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
zddp8868
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20DodgeNeon00,
Quick question for you. Speaking technically now, why did you get headers?
Same reason all of us do, to free up more horsepower. Headers are the first true foundation for building an engine up. Gains have been made with the headers now, but still have yet to be maximized until further work down the line is done to the truck. Why do you ask though?
lol it sounds like ur reading right from a magazine. for the most part, a bolt on is a bolt on. there is no true, or false,FIRST bolt on. PS, if u look at the dynos from that mustang website and you know what you are looking at, the normal headers are proven to be more useful in a stock engine and i can attest that they are more useful in a not-so-stock engine. (and i don't mean thermostat this or spark plugs that)

Silver: its cool how u are trying to mediate and settle this debate, but i think we are splitting hairs here when we are asked tospeak technically about headers. indy and myself have done a lot of things with cars/trucks together and seperate and while that may mean we know what we are doing, it doesnt qualify us as experts enough to speak "technically". so i really don't think there is a need to speak technically or scientifically. people who are reasearching months and months for something like headers is rediculous. the car automotive industry is one or the other: u either GET IT or you DON'T. i think we've found more than one example of the latter.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well here's my 2 cents on it...

Well if you're buying headers to increase performance great. I'm not sure what the point of buying an exhaust system before you upgrade your engine and at least your airintakeis? (seems kinda like wiping before you poop).
Although what the hell you have to start somewhere...

If you're buying headers to make your exhaust louder get a life... Go cut your muffler off and dump it after the cat. It'll be loud. Hopefully nobody on my beloved Dodge forum would do this... but trust me I live around a bunch of dorks with 4 cylinder cars with ****ty overpriced aluminum spoilers on them and coffee can exhausts. So I know all about ***s who think sound = performance. I'll be trying to sleep at night and I hear what sounds to be leaf blowers and weed wackers reving up and down the main road.

At least peoplewho own trucks in general seem to be a little bit more mechanicallyintelligent. Not everyone but some. Hell there's this kid in anF-150 he just got a few monthsago a few blocks from where I live. He's only 17 soit's excusable stupidity (you know the type... he never misses a chance to smoke his tires going around a corner orgoing straight from a stop sign or whatever...)
Anyways when he first got it he was all obsessed with making it loud andaskedabout getting headers to make it louder.We straight piped it for him instead. I think he's happy now. Thesoundequals power in his mind lol, and I think it would be pointless to have him go spend his hard earned money on headers (just a kid making7.50 an hour orsome kind of slave wage like that)when he's just going to **** that truck all up anyway.although there is a lesson to be learned from all this.

Ignorance is bliss. I use to feel alot more comfortable beating on my vehicles before I knew how much damage I was doing to them .

Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like ***** , but i really love BIG *****....

Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Same here, but NOTHING beats a juicy ***

Quick Reply: How free is too free? (exhaust)