2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oiled air intake filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
phlash_riot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oiled air intake filters

Is there anyone that knows or has had any issues with using oiled filters like K&N. I had a 99 trans am and the LS1 engine that GM uses doesn't really like the oiled ones as the oil gets sucked in and collects on the MAF sensor.

I don't expect to have any issues with the Ram and the TB but figured i would throw the question out there

Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oiled air intake filters

I have not but, I have a 95.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Rams do not have MAF's Sensors. At least not in 94-97's. I know about the problems with K&N and GM's MAF's. I'm a GM Fan as well.

You shouldn't have any problems with a K&N filter, but if you concered about it, I'd say go with an S&B Power Stack filter. They actually flow better than K&N and they don't use the oil.
http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php

EDIT: I'm sorry they do use oil, but they are okay for GM's. The oil isn't the same as K&N's and doesn't plug anything up.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

I have a drop in K&N and have recharged it twice now. The directions are very simple. When you first get it you can see and feel how oily it is (not much). You clean it by spraying the clean side, then flip it over to the dirty side an spray it down real well. You wait for 10-20 minutes and rinse it out in the sink, naturally in reverse of the air flow. Wait until it dries, at least over night. It has to air dry. I shake the excess water off mine. I do it on Friday and re-oil it on Sunday.

To reoil I hold it 3 inches from the pleat, holding the filter verticle. Once down each few pleats, both sides, the quickly twice from about 6 inches away. Then I let it sit for about 10 minutes. The color goes from maroon to orange (never like when you got it). It is good for 12,000 miles (less if you are in dutsy conditions).

Remember, on all oil filters, including your old time lawnmowers, more oil does not equal better.
The re-charge kit will probably be good for 4-5 cycles. Cost is $10

Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

To answer your other question: No issues. No extra mpg, a little extra kick when you get on it. I got it long before I came on this site, otherwise I would probably get a round as the filter is 42+10 for the charger. That is close to the black wrinkle finish Mopar round one that is so cool.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

I have a K&N Gen II FIPK...I took it off ( and is for sale!!! )and now run the Mopar performance round cleaner....but this had nothing to do with the oil being a problem.. as I run a K&N round filter in the cleaner.. these trucks.. as you may already know.. dont have a MAF sensor.. we have a MAP sensor.. the MAF reads the air flow.. the MAP reads the manifold pressure.I'm sure your familiar with this though.. so..I dont have any problems with the oiled filter element.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I have had a few guys get oil residue (from overoiling)on the IAT, which is on the drivers side front of the intake. Cleans up easily with Intake cleaner or brakleen. Never use carb cleaner!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

I have had a few guys get oil residue (from overoiling)on the IAT
Bingo. Thats the problem when using an oiled filter like K&N no matter what kind of vehicle your running. As long as you follow the instructions for recharging (which state not to over oil the element) then you should have no problems.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:05 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 You don't need to soak in it oil. More isn't better

Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
phlash_riot

Thanks all for the info. got a K&N yesterday.

Quick Reply: Oiled air intake filters