2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shocks Replaced, ...followup on Edelbrock IAS install..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM
KevinK
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks Replaced, ...followup on Edelbrock IAS install..

I started a thread (a while ago) asking for suggestions on shocks (re: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1208350/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm)
Well, ...I purchased the Edelbrock IAS Performers, ...and finished installing everything last night. In addition to the shocks, ...I replaced the steering stabilizer, ...and stabilizer endlinks. I also decided to install the drilled/slotted rotors (and new pads) while I had it apart.

My truck has 90,000 miles on it, ...and the factory original shocks were still there. The ride was smooth/soft, ...and I didn't think the shocks were 'shot' at all, ...until I took them out (the fronts were OK, ...but the rears compressed real easy, ...and one had leaked).
Anyway, ...I 'test' drove it last night and then to work today, ...and it's like a new truck. Granted, ...the old shocks were toast, ...but the IAS shocks seem much more predictable, ...truck definitely does not 'lean' on hard cornering (I tried : ), ...yet the ride is still comfortably smooth/soft. Yes, ...you can sense a slight bit of firmness, ..but that was/is to be expected, ...but not at all an issue with me.
Overall, ...I'm very please with the results and the ride.

The job? ...pretty easy if you have the tools, ...and patience. I thought the fronts were going to be more difficult than the rears to remove,...but the rears were stubborn. I dropped the spare right from the start, ...I wouldn't even attempt it with the spare up, ...trust me.
Other than that (not really related to the shocks), ...the biggest 'pain' was getting the steering stabilizer out. There wasn't enough room to knock out the press fit end. I struggled with it long enough, ...until I decided to pull the pitman arm down, ...allowing room to tap out the pressed bolt end. Once it was cleared, ...it came right out.

My next 'job' will most likely be to replace the seals on the steering box. It's been leaking, ...I've been putting in Lucas, ...but it doesn't seem to be slowing down. The kit (#4470365) is only about $20, so I plan to do it. Once that's done, ...and I have the alignment double checked, ...then I'll be installing the 20" later model polished wheels (which have been sitting, ...and waiting...)

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shocks Replaced, ...followup on Edelbrock IAS install..

Looks good. Are you sure thats how those shocks go? Usually they flip the other way. You must not have them upside down as they should only bolt one one way unless you have the eyelet ends on both side and an adapter at the top. If thats the case flip them around. If not I guess they are just different than most shocks. I thought about them as my next shocks but I don't like that oh well. Sounds like a nice setup. Glad to hear you like it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Congratulations... you've just become the 1st performance reviewer thread...

Nice job on the writeup & install... I had them and liked them alot... had them on 3 trucks... 2 rams & a dak

Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Also where did you get those rotors? How do you like them?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I ran the powerstop's from summit racing... they worked great for me and plan on getting another set when the time comes for the '05

Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

I ran the powerstop's from summit racing... they worked great for me and plan on getting another set when the time comes for the '05
Were yours slotted or just drilled? The ones I see Summit has of Powerstops are only drilled. Did you have any problems with them cracking? I've read complaints of cross drilled rotors cracking and slotted ones being better but that they eat up pads.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

drilled only... the improvement in braking was awesome. I ended up putting them on my wifes Dak and she loved them as well.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
KevinK
Amateur

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Looks good. Are you sure thats how those shocks go? Usually they flip the other way. You must not have them upside down as they should only bolt one one way unless you have the eyelet ends on both side and an adapter at the top. If thats the case flip them around. If not I guess they are just different than most shocks. I thought about them as my next shocks but I don't like that oh well. Sounds like a nice setup. Glad to hear you like it.

...shocks are installed correctly. They are clearly labelled, "This end Up", ...I first thought, ..."Hmmm, ...maybe the stickers were applied incorrectly", ...but in reading these things over, ...they do install opposite of 'normal' shocks.

Brake rotors came from Ebay (here's a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem)
...I do not know the seller, ...just did business with him (all was fine).
As for difference from the stock rotors? ...There is some improvement. I won't say it's night and day, ...butI still need to break in the pads to really see...

Old 04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

that is the correct install for the eddy's

Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
KevinK
Amateur

...just wanted to add...
I've had more time to drive the truck over the past week, ...and I'm liking these shocks even more . I'm very pleased.
I will also add, ...for those that haven't done much front-end repair work to their trucks, ...check the stabilizer end links. My truck is mostly highway driven, ...when I took the end links off, ...they were shot. Literally to the point where I was able to pull the 'joint' apart, ...only being held together by the rubber boot. Well, ..."that noise" I was hearing? ...it's now gone, ...it was the end links all along.

Quick Reply: Shocks Replaced, ...followup on Edelbrock IAS install..