2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew Crane makes the KRC cams. I didn't know who makes the Hughes cams, but since it's so specialized a field, I'm not surprised. And when you say "worthless" (meaning "zero worth") you mean worthless to your application. I can appreciate that, and Comp Cams is a good product. But I think you'll agree that cam numbers alone don't guarantee a good result as there are way too many factors involved. In some ways, it's a crap shoot.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If i get one it would be for low end, off the line power to mid range. I occasionally tow and drive in the snow in the winter so I don't want anything thats gonna hurt my towing or make it ****ty driving in the winter

Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrex
I knew Crane makes the KRC cams. I didn't know who makes the Hughes cams, but since it's so specialized a field, I'm not surprised. And when you say "worthless" (meaning "zero worth") you mean worthless to your application. I can appreciate that, and Comp Cams is a good product. But I think you'll agree that cam numbers alone don't guarantee a good result as there are way too many factors involved. In some ways, it's a crap shoot.
It isn't a crap shoot if you study up on what the factors are. But to just order one "*****-nilly" without knowing what lift, duration, lobe separation, etc. means will definitely leave you at the mercy of the company selling you the cam.

And I honestly don't know how happy I'd be with doing the work involved in a cam swap without getting one that really produced some extra power, and to do that, you're going to need to get something to tune up the 'puter.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the link,should have put it up before.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=

Last edited by talon6; 08-21-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
It isn't a crap shoot if you study up on what the factors are. But to just order one "*****-nilly" without knowing what lift, duration, lobe separation, etc. means will definitely leave you at the mercy of the company selling you the cam.

And I honestly don't know how happy I'd be with doing the work involved in a cam swap without getting one that really produced some extra power, and to do that, you're going to need to get something to tune up the 'puter.

X2, dont order a cam without knowing the lift and duration, thats my biggest regret when I built the engine for my camaro. I bought an engine kit from Engine Tech, and upgraded to forged pistons, high volume/high pressure oil pump, double roller timing set, and a "stage 1 cam." Now, you can def. hear and feel it has a good bit of cam in it, but I was hoping for a little more lope at idle.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i do not know an 'all around' camshaft
that would give improvements
from 800 rpm all the way to 5000 rpm

most conventional camshafts can provide best volumetric efficiency
in a 2000 rpm 'band'
and you have to compromise and choose which range you want

most aftermarket camshaft grinds will hurt maximum torque
in the 1500 to 2500 rpm range

To get a camshaft that provides gains in torque
in that 'daily driving' rpm band
usually means sending your camshaft to a custom grinder
who will decrease the duration and lobe lift

A custom camshaft with
re-gearing to make use of the now available lower rpm torque
can improve MPG about 6%
according to none other than current Chrysler CEO
Tom LaSorda,
in his public comments about 'free MPG improvement'
that Chrysler could do a year or so ago

the new 2009 5.7 Hemi V8
has 'variable valve timing'
as does the Toyota 5.7 V8 in the Tundra
and this technology
can give improvements all the way from
800 rpm to 6000 rpm

Both engines claimed
a few % better fuel economy due to VVT

Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
It isn't a crap shoot if you study up on what the factors are.
Agreed squirrels, but unless you know someone personally with the same cam/truck combo, or have seen actual dyno data from a truck exactly like yours with the exact same mods, you cannot honestly forsee exactly how much of a gain or result you're going to get. I'm sure there is a lot of consistency and repeatability when all you do is install xyz cam into the same engine on an engine dyno. However, when you add GVW, gearing, auto vs. manual, towing, etc., etc., it becomes a little more murky. This is what I mean by "crap shoot."

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do i know which springs to get?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Get the springs Comp Cams recommends for that cam. The cam I have is very similar to the one you linked to and I had Hughes put in 120# springs with dampers.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrex
Agreed squirrels, but unless you know someone personally with the same cam/truck combo, or have seen actual dyno data from a truck exactly like yours with the exact same mods, you cannot honestly forsee exactly how much of a gain or result you're going to get. I'm sure there is a lot of consistency and repeatability when all you do is install xyz cam into the same engine on an engine dyno. However, when you add GVW, gearing, auto vs. manual, towing, etc., etc., it becomes a little more murky. This is what I mean by "crap shoot."
OK gotcha, didn't know where you were coming from.

I usually shoot the crap quite a bit around here actually...

Quick Reply: cam swap ?