2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

almost there

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default almost there

well, i am getting close to being done with my motor mods.only a couple more things i want to do.maybe headers,(cannt decide,ya or na)1.7rr,and a sct tune(after everything else).

heres my question.are 1.7's worth it? i think this is the next thing i want to do.i see that most are using the harland sharp non adjustables. are these the way to go? they will end up being around 400$ to get installed.is it worth that kind of money?

where did you get yours and how much were they? and they will clear the stock valve covers?

everything i have searched and googled says it will add a little more on the low end.(where my truck needs it). is this the case?

is this the right part # s70037? do i need anything else besides,gaskets,lube,and rockers?

Last edited by talon6; 11-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my next mods are the 1.7 RR, and shorties. i think

Old 11-17-2008, 03:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering the 1.7RR kick myself a while back... but turned away from it. My truck has 100,000 miles and harland sharp recommends you change your valve springs out at a certain amount of miles because your old springs wear in. "Valve Float" at high rpm scares me which was the main reason I was thinking about staying away. I can not see doing a mod that could technically damage the engine if I decide to floor it. Not saying it will happen, but it can. From what I've read, an increase of valve duration at the same compression ratio yields an increase in HP, but a loss of torque. That doesn't mean you wont gain torque from these, but just throwing that out there. Then there is the argument about how stock rockers arn't all 1.6's. I know silver has the non-adj. as well as PA, and probably AIM if I remember right. When I had a discussion with PA on whether he though they were worth it, he told me that he didn't really notice anything different. Im pretty sure I have a valve tap but I've had it for a year and have not noticed a difference in performance. Hopefully it is an exhaust leak that will get fixed this friday. The 1.7's aparently give you 15hp, but... im not a racer. If I ever put a set of roller rockers on, it will be the 1.6's. Just personal preference I guess. Let someone else chime in. If you dont have a cam and are still on stock valvetrain, i say go non-adj 1.6's. See what others say.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1.7's was one of my favorite mods. Made a very noticable difference, worth the money in my book (though they were cheaper back when I bought them).

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Hey Silver, thos are the HR non adjust right?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Yup. And I didn't replace anything else (pushrods or valve springs). I don't rev my truck that hard (like race trucks), so the stock stuff has worked fine. I have almost 100k on my truck now. I can't remember the part #, but I bet I could dig it up if it was really needed. Install is very easy.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Nice, Im ordering them soon thats why i asked, but do you have any idea on what springs and such i should get. I rev mine hard for the strip so...yeah. Dont really wanna break them. heh

Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious too, Mowhawk, as I sometimes floor mine pretty hard, and am possibly looking at getting RRs sometime in the near future.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Yeah, Ive been wanting to get a set for awhile but with my constant WOT runs id dont need a spring to be messed up and ruin my engine...but then i could get a new engine. Hmmm

Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

If you just occasionally rev it, you have nothing to worry about. It's when your running around a track at 3000-5000 rpm for sustained periods.

Think about it this way. If you didn't get 1.7's, would you still replace the the pushrods and springs? You're still reving the truck the same way, right? If they can take it with the 1.6's you have today, they'll be fine with the 1.7's you might put in.