2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Check Valve Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

cool, let me fix that! The day I bought the stuff the entire NAPA parts computer system crashed. I was going off a hand written receipt.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 AM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great squirrels, small points, but its amazing to see how feeding a parts guy a wrong # will just completely boggle him out ,,, Understandable I suppose.

I'm geeked on this hose, I have it assembled and ready to go.
Been having trans slip/surge problems, and in addition to this I at 1st was just going to go for a fluid/filter change.
After reading up a bit here I decided that putting in new governor pressure/solenoid sensors would be wise too, so I got those ready to go in tomorrow, got them both for $110.
Also going to take a shot at adjusting bands while I'm in there and put in a drain plug, so I'm hoping for the best after all of this, also going to put in a new TPS sensor.

But your hose is the ****, I like it, and for anyone that thinks $40 in parts is a bit outrageous for a hose, they are about $70 to replace OEM, and thats if you can find them, took me about 2 weeks to find one a few months back, and the quick connect on it didn't connect right, I had to rig it up with wire ties so it didn't slip off after spilling out 6 quarts of tranny fluid on the road - Had I read this first, that never would have happened, and I would have saved $30. $60 if you count the lost fluid.

Keep up the good work squirrels

Last edited by xray99; 05-14-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might want to let a ahop do your bands.....you can really mess things up if youre not careful

Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 2001 ram service manual that a lot of people have from merry christmas thread has the band procedure a little off, it says to back off the adjusting nut like 1 1/4 turns more than the haynes manual says to, so if you go by that it will cause problems. it'll be too loose and won't grab like it should and you will get harsh shifts if it shifts at all.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 05-14-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I burned up my low reverse band and destroyed 3rd gear after I adjusted the bands.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
xray99
Banned

Ok, never mind the bands then. I had reservations about that already from browsing here. A new pressure hose, 3 sensors and a fluid change is enough for one go.
If it still slips and surges, guess I'll have to take it in to get diagnosed anyhow, and all I'll lose is $40 in fluid and gasket if I just need the bands adjusted.
Its a high mileage 96 1500, it did have the trans rebuilt in 2000 or so ,,, But I gotta admit, if my trans was a kid I'd be in jail for child abuse, you guys would wince at the details, I am shocked I can still even go around the block.
I have seen the error of my ways, and am now exchanging harsh, uncaring abuse for mushy TLC ,,, Only time will tell if the trans god will smile or frown upon me for my transgressions.

I put an add on craigslist seeing if there were any backyard tranny mechanics who know what they are doing looking to make a little easy $$, the replies I got were not encouraging. One guy said "just tighten it up good, then back it off 1 and1/4", when I asked if he had any particular torque specs in mind, he said "torque specs not needed".
Maybe hes good enough to hotshot it with success, I'll never know.

Last edited by xray99; 05-14-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 AM
97black_ram
Captain

I'm glad I did my check valve delete. Seems like it shifts up and down a little better than before. Either way, easy mod just to protect the trans. a little

Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 AM
fjmg
Amateur

I can second sheriff420, my 97 FSM states to back off front band 2-7/8 from 72 in-lbs!! I must of done this umpteen times while I had the trans on the floor after my rebuild and couldn't believe how sloppy the band was at this adjustment. I called Transgo since I installed the jr. kit and asked if the front band adj't is affected with the kit and the reply was "no just snug it down with your open end and back off 1-1/4 turns"
I wonder how many of the transmissions that were initially adjusted to the factory spec fall into the "this is a crappy burned up after 40K dodge tranny"?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
the 2001 ram service manual that a lot of people have from merry christmas thread has the band procedure a little off, it says to back off the adjusting nut like 1 1/4 turns more than the haynes manual says to, so if you go by that it will cause problems. it'll be too loose and won't grab like it should and you will get harsh shifts if it shifts at all.
So the bands should be adjusted according to what the Haynes has laid out? I went by the FSM and my transmission has been shifting funky for quite some time. I'm just holding out hope it'll stay in one piece until I get my VW running, and then I can rebuild the transmission.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

the haynes manual is right. mark your socket with a sharpie and the tranny to make sure you get the right # of turns.

Quick Reply: Trans Check Valve Delete