2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dripping Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To replace leaking freeze plugs; would the transmission have to be unbolted and dropped? I'd like to know this before I begin calling people around for the job.

Thank You

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Assuming it's the freeze plugs, yes.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
Corrosion (rust) is an electro-chemical process. Your engine is like a big battery using coolant as the electrolyte. The iron in your engine block is normally the anode. By hanging a piece of more active metal (zinc) in the radiator tank, it slowly sacrifices itself to the corrosive process protecting your engine block by turning the block into the cathode. Only after the anode is completely dissolved is the block itself attacked. Of course, you would just replace the anode once this happened.
very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I guess I haven't heard a consensus about the leaky freeze plug. Is it bad driving the truck around with a leaking freeze plug besides just loosing coolant?

I have called several shops around, and many of them think it's the intake gasket. They ask if it's leaking around the bell housing, or if it's actually coming right out of where the transmission and engine meet. I'm leaving it with a shop down the street from me Wednesday. He wants to see where the coolant is originating from so he can pinpoint whether it's the intake or the freeze plug. If it is the freeze plug, I want to know if I have to get this fixed, or if I can drive it until it comes pouring out..

Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I guess I haven't heard a consensus about the leaky freeze plug. Is it bad driving the truck around with a leaking freeze plug besides just loosing coolant?

I have called several shops around, and many of them think it's the intake gasket. They ask if it's leaking around the bell housing, or if it's actually coming right out of where the transmission and engine meet. I'm leaving it with a shop down the street from me Wednesday. He wants to see where the coolant is originating from so he can pinpoint whether it's the intake or the freeze plug. If it is the freeze plug, I want to know if I have to get this fixed, or if I can drive it until it comes pouring out..
Get it fixed whatever it is. Waiting for it to go isn't very smart, because you'll end up with a blown head gasket or stranded along side the highway because the truck overheated. Given your description, it could be something other then a freeze plug, so you were wise to take it somewhere and see what they say. Hopefully it's nothing too major.

For the record, it's pretty common knowledge, when you have a coolant leak, you get it fixed asap to head off bigger problems.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Alright, thanks Hutch for the information.

If it is the plenum gasket; is there a preference on the Hughes or APS kits? Also, anything that should be replaced while the intake is off?

If it's the freeze plugs, is there anything that should be replaced while they are in there?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Are you SURE its a freeze plug? I had a coolant leak that was dripping from the transmission pan and it turned out that my bypass hose cracked in half. Somehow the coolant flowed all the way from the top front of the engine back to the tranny pan. Look carefully for any sign of a leak under your AC compressor, its WAY down in there under the accessory bracket. You should also look very carefully at your coolant temp sensor and thermostat housing, it's crazy how far that stuff can run to make a leak appear in a place where it isn't.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
hutch1973
Captain

If it's the rear frost plugs, no, nothing else between the tranny and motor back there outside of the flex plate/flywheel, but in theory, that would have been replaced or inspected when the tranny is finished.

As far as the intake and plenum, I don't know. Haven't had to mess with much intake wise for a lonnng time. Just had to screw with frost plugs 2 years ago so it's a bit fresher in my mind.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Are you SURE its a freeze plug? I had a coolant leak that was dripping from the transmission pan and it turned out that my bypass hose cracked in half. Somehow the coolant flowed all the way from the top front of the engine back to the tranny pan. Look carefully for any sign of a leak under your AC compressor, its WAY down in there under the accessory bracket. You should also look very carefully at your coolant temp sensor and thermostat housing, it's crazy how far that stuff can run to make a leak appear in a place where it isn't.
And he's right, a leak from the bottom doesn't necessarily mean it is coming from the frost plugs. hopefully the shop you took it too find something up top that's leaking, and running down the back of the engine. Anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Dripping Coolant