2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dripping Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dripping Coolant

Today when I was changing my oil, I noticed once again that there is green goo (coolant) seeping out from the rear main seal. It did this before the new transmission was installed, and is still doing it with the new transmission bolted up. What would be causing this?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure. Sounds like you may have a seal bad somewhere. Hard to say without seeing where exactly it's leaking from. This sounds like something that you might want to get fixed before buying new wheels or anything like that.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:52 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I just had a coolant flush three weeks ago, and my coolant is at the bottom of my reservoir. So obviously the leak is pretty steady. However it doesn't seem to be effecting the performance or stamina of the truck. The truck runs cool, and I'm getting 11.5 mpgs. If it's something I can just keep an eye on and continue to fill with coolant, I'm fine with that. But I wanted to know if anybody here knew what that meant if coolant was leaking from the rear main seal.

Last edited by 05DodgeRamHemi; 03-20-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are freeze plugs on the back of the block. Those could be leaking.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 PM
ophidia
Captain

Could maybe be dribbling from the back of the intake manifold gaskets.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I don't know but I wonder if a leak at the back of the head could cause this?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So the transmission has been out how many times? And they never noticed this? If it is a freeze plug , it will only get worse and the tranny will be coming out again.
And at the risk of sounding like an azz, if you read some of the post's on here, instead of just reading /posting in your own threads, (or threads that that might have to do with cosmetics that might interest you) you might learn something , and would have known to ask them to check them out, and maybe even had them replaced regardless. Since it's common knowledge that they go bad. And since this tranny shop is just trying to screw you all the time, I would think they would see the green goo , and point it out to try and get more work/money out of you, regardless if it's the plugs or the intake.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ouch.

either intake manifold or freeze plug, probably freeze plug. probably not head.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same **** happend to me. I had the tranny out a few months a ago and about 2 months ago I notice a coolant leak. Found the leak to be coming from a freeze plug. The way I came to this conclusion was by removing the Inspection cover on the tranny. Its the lower part of the bell housing. You have to remove the starter, 2 mounts, and a couple of bolts. Stick a mirror up in there with a flash light and poke around till you find the freeze plugs. If you have to get em changed, get brass freeze plugs.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I wanted to mention it to the transmission shop; but I really didn't want to take the focus off the task at hand with them. There was a very narrow window of time that I had for them to take their POS transmission out and replace it with a functioning unit. I also was hoping they would report it if they saw something worthy of mention. As I said, it doesn't seem to effect the performance of the truck, and it runs fine. What exactly is a freeze plug, and what can happen if it get worse?

Zman, I think it's pretty rude what you said. I am always learning new things, and ask questions all the time. Just because I don't write in the other posts on this foru all the time, doesn't mean I'm not constantly reading them...

Quick Reply: Dripping Coolant