2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dripping Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very valid points. I am hoping it's neither, but who knows. I haven't had anytime to even look under my truck besides that oil change. It's either at a shop, I'm in school, or I'm working. Wednesday I'll know for sure. I already had him quote me for a new intake gasket just for the hell of it; he quoted me $460 for labor, coolant, and new oil. It will be about $650 after I buy the new intake kit....if that's what it is. If it's a freeze plug, I don't know how much he'll want to replace those.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Very valid points. I am hoping it's neither, but who knows. I haven't had anytime to even look under my truck besides that oil change. It's either at a shop, I'm in school, or I'm working. Wednesday I'll know for sure. I already had him quote me for a new intake gasket just for the hell of it; he quoted me $460 for labor, coolant, and new oil. It will be about $650 after I buy the new intake kit....if that's what it is. If it's a freeze plug, I don't know how much he'll want to replace those.
If it's the intake gasket it will probably be the lower intake gaskets not the upper which is what the pleneum is. You'd want to replace both at the same time or if you do the pleneum and the lower ones are not bad you'd still probably want to replace them. Doesn't the APS kit come with the lower intake gaskets too? I think it did but not 100% sure. Does the Hughes or do you have to buy them separately? I thought that was one of the differences between the kits too but I'm not sure.

I'd have them check it out to pinpoint where it's leaking.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

put an egg in that they did in on myth buster and it worked. They took a screw drive and put it right through the rad.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That was a leaky radiator remedy.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whats leakin?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
If it's the intake gasket it will probably be the lower intake gaskets not the upper which is what the pleneum is. You'd want to replace both at the same time or if you do the pleneum and the lower ones are not bad you'd still probably want to replace them. Doesn't the APS kit come with the lower intake gaskets too? I think it did but not 100% sure. Does the Hughes or do you have to buy them separately? I thought that was one of the differences between the kits too but I'm not sure.

I'd have them check it out to pinpoint where it's leaking.
I didn't know there were two intake gaskets. I know everybody is big on buying an aftermarket gasket like hughes or aps for the plenum gasket; does the same go for the lower gasket?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I think not 100% sure but I think the APS kit comes with the lower intake gaskets too. I'm pretty sure mine did. If it didn't the shop supplied them and I don't think they did as I don't remember them charging me for them.

I'm not sure if the Hughes kit includes them or not.

I think the Felpro ones are what most guys use that replace them but maybe someone who has more experience can tell you for sure.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thanks Wayne.

I dropped my truck off with a shop down the street from my house. I asked him to look at the anti-freeze dripping from the rear main seal area. He's going to decipher whether it's coming from the lower intake gasket, or if it's a freeze plug. So I'll know by tomorrow where the drip is originating from. My coil springs are supposed to show up tomorrow, hopefully I'll get the truck back with some time to put them in.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

The shop called me this morning and told me it was neither the intake or the freeze plug. He said it's the water pump; it has bad bearings, and is leaking. He quoted me $320 to replace it. Is there anything special I should buy for a water pump, or is the Napa part he quoted me sufficient? Also, is there anything else I should have him do while the truck is having the pump replaced? I won't be having him do the job until I receive my tax returns.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

The bypass hose and the T-stat are good things to change while he is in there. When I had a shop replace mine I told him not to order the Napa part and that I was going to the dealer to pick one up and would bring it by. However, from my experience Napa seems to be the best of the parts stores. I've had good luck with most everything from Napa. I like Fishers too but have seen a few of their things not be the best but most is good as long as you know what you are getting.

That being said I'm a fan of OEM stuff myself so I use a lot of OEM parts for stuff like this but it's a lot more and the mechanics seem to think I'm crazy but it gives me piece of mind.

I ended up the second time I had to have a shop tear into that area I had them just put a Stant T-stat in so I didn't keep the OEM one long and it seems to work fine too.

I think either Napa or OEM would be fine for the water pump. Nothing wrong with Napa that I've found.

Quick Reply: Dripping Coolant