2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dripping Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
ophidia
Captain

I didn't know about that, but it's very interesting.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by J415
So your telling me that "gravity" makes it drip towards the back when it's parked? It travels down the front of the oil pan then up the back of the oil pan to the inspection plate? Maybe on the moon, but not on earth. He's getting hustled. 01DODGERAM, move the water pump pulley and see if it moves to make sure it's really a bad water pump. It could be that you need a new pump, I'm not saying you don't, but that's not causing the rear drip coolant. It's gonna be either a freeze plug or the rear end seal on the intake. My truck has that SAME LEAK and I have a new water pump installed on it. Get a second opinion.
This has also crossed my mind as well. I am going to have another shop look at it, good advice.

Lately I've been in somewhat of a debacle. I've contemplated looking for a newer truck. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I am looking currently. Currently, my truck is in very condition, and still retains a lot of value at a 2001. A lot of the 2005 Quad Cab Rams are going for around 15K up here. It's just something I'm looking into right now; I want to explore my options. I love my truck, but it's at a point where it's still pretty new, and has a new functioning transmission. Might be the best time to offload it while it's still in good condition. Just think out loud here though...

Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
This has also crossed my mind as well. I am going to have another shop look at it, good advice.

Lately I've been in somewhat of a debacle. I've contemplated looking for a newer truck. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I am looking currently. Currently, my truck is in very condition, and still retains a lot of value at a 2001. A lot of the 2005 Quad Cab Rams are going for around 15K up here. It's just something I'm looking into right now; I want to explore my options. I love my truck, but it's at a point where it's still pretty new, and has a new functioning transmission. Might be the best time to offload it while it's still in good condition. Just think out loud here though...
I've had similar thoughts lately too. However, I've just about gotten my truck to the point I want it, and it wasn't worth it to me to spend literally twice as much as I had owed on my truck for a newer version of the same thing...that I would then have to start over with mods. Ultimately decided to keep what I had, since I knew what I had. Newer does not equal more reliable.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I hear ya. I guess I figured my truck is paid off, I just finished paying off my transmission loan, and the truck is in great shape. The only thing that would be sad is that I've dumped a lot of money into restoring it, so whoever got my truck would have a brand new truck basically. It just has some cons to it though. It doesn't drive down the highway very well, it drives like a monster truck, and I'm sure it will be having some engine issues soon at 120,000 miles. I would only buy a new truck that I absolutely adored, and that I could get a warranty on it. It'd be nice to start fresh with something that didn't have so many flaws to begin with; this truck was rough when I first bought it. Again though, just thinking out loud.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM
hutch1973
Captain

It happens. I had owed 7 on mine and paid it off this winter. Started having problems with it and got annoyed, started shopping around as soon as it was out of the shop. Just wasn't blown away by anything newer, and figured it would take a lot of break downs to equal the 18k the trucks I had looked at cost.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my brothers friend had his truck since he was 18. It was his first truck. He's, I think in his late 40's, early 50's now. Anyway, he had to get rid of it because of his wife nagging. When he sold it, the guy that bought it was a young punk kid, the kid took it, and when he sped off he smoked the tires hard. My brothers buddy broke into tears since he knew that truck was probably gonna end up in a bone yard in a month or so (reckless driver).

Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yep, that's exactly how I would feel too. I'm extremely territorial of my possessions, especially because I resurrected this truck. If I hadn't owned it, it'd be a dumpy truck with a rigged lift, a destroyed transmission, and a rusty torn up body. I'm having the truck detailed tomorrow. I want it to be in pristine condition while I'm weighing my options. If I don't sell it, then I'll have a nicely waxed truck. If I do, it'll be spotless.

Today I test drove a hemi for the first time. A guy was selling two 2005 Ram 1500s. The one I liked that was all black was sadly a 4.7L v8. So I drove the rumble bee, and I liked the power a lot and the four door, just hated the yellow lol. Anyways, just shopping my options. I'm not too crazy about the plenum gasket ordeal; it's like this pending $1,000 job coming my way, and I'm sure there will be other stuff as well. I could use my tax returns towards a new truck instead of putting it toward repairs on this...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

decisions decisions only time will tell or money.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:46 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Today I went to the Toyota dealership, and test drove a 2008 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L v8. It had 4.10 gearing, and a LSD. It also had a semi-automatic shifter, four doors, and power everything. My first impressions of the truck was at a minimum remarkable. I haven't driven anything like it before, car or truck. The acceleration was unheard of. The salesmen told me I could punch it, and I sure took him up on his offer. I went 90mph off an on ramp, I was amazed. Afterward, I took it down some bumpy back roads, and it hugged the road around corners, and stayed extremely stable on bump and unbalanced terrain. I was very impressed.

So, tomorrow, I'm going back down there to punch numbers. I just finished having my truck detailed, and I'm bringing it down to be appraised. As it stands now; I honestly don't know what's going to happen. If they'll accept my offer and price range, I may be getting a black Toyota tundra. I love my ram so much; but it's looks can only go so far. The tundra doesn't look as good as my ram, but the ride and performance makes up for it easily. I won't be sleeping tonight that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Dripping Coolant