2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Windshield Washer fluid tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer fluid tank

My windshield fluid light came on and it seems to be leaking really bad. It leaks right above the sensor it looks like. Would it be a pain in the *** to fix get a new tank or can I just adjust the power plug thing that goes to the sensor and hope that it makes the warning light turn off on the dash since I never use the fluid anyways.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Super glue it.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Super glue it.
I never use the sprayers myself, and due to that great Dodge plastic, mine is cracked too. I just usually carry some stoner, and a squeegee in the toolbox to handle a dirty window. The last time I had the dash pulled off I cut the damn wire going to the light. I dont have to worry about it now.

I do have to replace the cracked over flow bottle though..... damn.... *adds it to the ever growing list*

Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
terranova
Professional

well I don't know exactly where the leak is. I think it may just be the seal for the sensor or something. I don't know. I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terranova
well I don't know exactly where the leak is. I think it may just be the seal for the sensor or something. I don't know. I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea.
I have the same issue you do. I pulled the tank and inspected it for cracks, finding none; however, the seals around both the sensor and the pump were stained with fluid. My guess is that the seal is slowly leaking, so I'm going to head to the dealership to get new seals for both.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Taz-man
Question

Howdy everyone new to this forum.just got this truck Sat 4/17/10 the washer light on the dash was on so i bought a gal of fluid ck this am to find about 3/4 of it was on the ground tank leaks somewhere around the bottom ...don't have any thing other then the owners manual ,, could someone tell me the trick to removing it so i can get a closer look & fix if possible ? ...any info would be nice

Thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 03:20 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Taz-man
Howdy everyone new to this forum.just got this truck Sat 4/17/10 the washer light on the dash was on so i bought a gal of fluid ck this am to find about 3/4 of it was on the ground tank leaks somewhere around the bottom ...don't have any thing other then the owners manual ,, could someone tell me the trick to removing it so i can get a closer look & fix if possible ? ...any info would be nice

Thanks
I had the same issue you guys are describing, I actually super glued it a year ago, and no leaks to date. Just find the leak and lay it on nice and heavy! Then refill with Rain X wiper fluid (awesome stuff). My leak was on a seam where the two halves of plastic meat above one of the sensors.

Taz man, there are two connectors you have to unplug, as well as the hose that feeds the sprayers. Then, if I remember correctly, it just pops right out, I believe I was able to hold the upper rad hose out of the way to do it. But if you have to, just unhook the upper rad hose, no big deal, you will just have maybe a cup of coolant come out.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd just go to the bone yard and pick one up. There only $8...

Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz-man

Thanks

Time for me to revisit this topic. New grommets didn't do anything for mine, so I pulled it and cleaned the exterior. I filled it with water and then examined an area in question using a jeweler's glass -- BINGO. A slight hairline crack near the base of the tank caused it to leak.

I bought some 2-part epoxy from my local model hobby store, mixed it to proportion and coated the area liberally.

Over five months and no problems with leaks. The epoxy ran about $5 and I've used it for other projects.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't use it just unplug the sensor wire. The low fluid light won't come on then

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer fluid tank