2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What are the steps to setting my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:47 AM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the steps to setting my timing?

I want to set my timing to 4 advance and I have a timing light but what steps have to be done in order to do so?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

search for cps mod or crank position mod......you cant use a timing light cause we have no marks.....

Old 08-20-2009, 01:52 AM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
search for cps mod or crank position mod......you cant use a timing light cause we have no marks.....
Damn really? Son of a..

Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup. Timing is set by the computer. Only way to change it is CPS "mod" to fool the computer, or to reprogram the computer, usually using a tuner (Superchips, SCT, etc.).

Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A little ot here but I wanted to play w that on the sc but I left it alone. What would happen if I changed the timing?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more power to an extent

Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
A little ot here but I wanted to play w that on the sc but I left it alone. What would happen if I changed the timing?
+1 on a little more power, but that is on the "butt dyno". As far as changing it with the Superchips, the programs are pre-loaded. Meaning, all the tuning changes are there already. Think of it as re formating the hard drive on your pc, then installing a new OS. I have the same tuner as you do, all your able to do is change between the different tune programs.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
I can't find either of those two things you told me to search for.. I did find this in another thread but it says 2000 plus only. So I take it it doesn't or won't help me out a bit with my 98. I just want to advance it dammit!

Originally Posted by lastrights
WANT TO CURE THE “DEATH FLASH?
Do you have a 2000 or newer truck that no PCM is offered for or the dealer pulled 4 degrees of timing out of, with the DRBIII to keep your truck from having detonation or pre-ignition problems, and now the truck is a pig? Sluggish and generally will not spin the tires from a stoplight, even with a 360?
Then advance your timing.
Your timing is set initially by the crankshaft sensor and the distributor has the camshaft sensor in it to determine when the injectors fire relative to the amount of valve opening. So moving the distributor does not affect base timing. But moving the crankshaft sensor relative to it's current position does. The trick is this, and takes about one hour. This will work on any Dodge truck 92- to present except for the 4.7L or the V-10.
Remove the crankshaft sensor on the aft/passenger side of the block. It is held down by (2) 1/2" bolts and pulls out of the tranny bell housing when loose. There is a rubber grommet in the bell housing also, remove it. Now look at the sensor's bracket, notice the 2 bolt holes. Slot each hole 3/8" both ways, still giving the bolts something to hold onto. Then insert the sensor back into the bell housing, making sure you pulled out the rubber grommet. Thread the 2 bolts back in loose, then slide the sensor as far as it can, towards the oil filter, away from the intake. This will advance, moving it towards the intake in the same direction of crank rotation and will retard the base timing; do not do this unless your teenager is driving the truck. It will usually be limited by the bell housing how far you can move it. If you are really brave, grind the bell housing and fab a new adjustable bracket. This will add 3-4 degrees of timing across the whole board of advance tables, and cure the Death Flash problem in your Magnum. That'll be $5 please...just kidding!
COURTESY OF KRC PERFORMANCE

Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Read a little closer.....

"The trick is this, and takes about one hour. This will work on any Dodge truck 92- to present except for the 4.7L or the V-10."

Seems to me your included in that

Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, like Twisted Metal pointed out in your post, it works on pretty much all 5.2L and 5.9L Magnum engines.

Quick Reply: What are the steps to setting my timing?