2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*(How's it going Auggiedog?....Now,..I'm not trying to be a ***** or rude...I'm just trying to prove a point),.... *I'm going out with my cam corder an hit the highway @ 60 m.p.h., (that's 100 kph up here in moose country!), why not do the same....put your truck into low deuce and hit the gas onto the highway, and drive for a couple of 3-5 miles or so,.... I bet you get a headache listening to the engine rev out its guts!(+ worried that the motor will blow). Screw thread info!! go try driving "60" in low 2..... call me back when you get home... bet that tach is pinned!

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 09-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Nhxj4x4

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
yes i went there and they want way too much the same part is $49 bucks at transmissionparts.com..... even the dealer was only like 70 bucks for that.....keep in mind it could also be tthe governer pressure sensor or the speed sensor mentions earlier.... code reader should help diagnos the problem.
Just called these guys, very helpful. They sell an entire valve body for the 46re (oh BTW, I have a 5.9L I guess) and it's only $175 and he said that it includes all the sensors that you're talking about guys. Again if it doesn't sell this weekend it's on my list.

To answer some other questions there is a difference in mechanical, and having time to be mechanical. I'm a Jeep guy like I mentioned, engine rebuilds, tranny swaps, I have a 4.7L stroker in my jeep that I built etc etc. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of want. I don't know why I bought this truck honestly. Perhaps cause it looks really good and ran OK. Once I started driving it I was basically ashamed. Not good excuses, but I'll get past it, either by selling or fixing.

Last edited by Nhxj4x4; 09-25-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Nhxj4x4
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge.Ismo
*(How's it going Auggiedog?....Now,..I'm not trying to be a ***** or rude...I'm just trying to prove a point),.... *I'm going out with my cam corder an hit the highway @ 60 m.p.h., (that's 100 kph up here in moose country!), why not do the same....put your truck into low deuce and hit the gas onto the highway, and drive for a couple of 3-5 miles or so,.... I bet you get a headache listening to the engine rev out its guts!(+ worried that the motor will blow). Screw thread info!! go try driving "60" in low 2..... call me back when you get home... bet that tach is pinned!
I dont understand what your saying? low 2 is not drive You told Nhj4x4 that his truck is in drive at 2600rpm at 60mph.....I said thats not true.....even if he has the 4.56 gears it would be lower than that in drive and even lower in overdrive....
I'm not going to drive in second gear at 60mph. it doesnt prove anything.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Nhxj4x4
Just called these guys, very helpful. They sell an entire valve body for the 46re (oh BTW, I have a 5.9L I guess) and it's only $175 and he said that it includes all the sensors that you're talking about guys. Again if it doesn't sell this weekend it's on my list.

To answer some other questions there is a difference in mechanical, and having time to be mechanical. I'm a Jeep guy like I mentioned, engine rebuilds, tranny swaps, I have a 4.7L stroker in my jeep that I built etc etc. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of want. I don't know why I bought this truck honestly. Perhaps cause it looks really good and ran OK. Once I started driving it I was basically ashamed. Not good excuses, but I'll get past it, either by selling or fixing.
truck looks similar to mine and I have the 5.9 too....I love mine....I had a 93 jeep lifted with 32"s and 4.56 gears for 13 years till the frame rotted out everywhere.... miss it but love the room in the truck.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Dodge.Ismo
Well it looks like I put my foot in my mouth with overdrive off and 4.56 gear plus 35's it is at 2600 rpm at 60 MPH...wow so its his overdrive that's not working

Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Nhxj4x4

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I dont understand what your saying? low 2 is not drive You told Nhj4x4 that his truck is in drive at 2600rpm at 60mph.....I said thats not true.....even if he has the 4.56 gears it would be lower than that in drive and even lower in overdrive....
I'm not going to drive in second gear at 60mph. it doesnt prove anything.
Build sticker states 3:55's. I doubt they replaced the gears. I found a very local junk yard that basically has everything that I would need. I may check them out.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 PM
estech2
Professional

Check the output shaft sensor!!!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
estech2
Professional

By the way thats a Damn Fine Dodge. Love EM!!!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:37 AM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by Nhxj4x4
Looks like a trip to the zone and their reader is in order then. Really wish I had brake light, brakes, or directionals to get there....
Have you done basic diagnosing on those yet, at least check if the sockets are getting juice ?

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse....Help with 96 Ram PLEASE