2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's different on a sport model than a regular 1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 AM
Happytobehere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Yep. 1994-1998 were the same body as a regular Ram, just color matched. 1999 was the first year of the quad headlight/different front bumper/grille design, 2001 was the last.
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but this post is the closest I can find to my dilemma and I'm sure some one here can clarify this issue for me. I have a 1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport truck that sat for several years and the front of the headlight lens fell off. When looking for a replacement I find a lot of $55ish lights but all say fits but without sport package. From reading through this post i gather the regular lights will fit without issues but I'm a little nervous to purchase because of the big red letters saying fits but without sport package. And also I live a very financially distressed life so I don't have enough to do a trial an error approach. Could someone clarify that there wont be a bracket or wiring issue ? My apology again for being so unsure but some things just about have to be carved on the back of my hand before I could understand it.
Thanks a ton in advance.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Happytobehere
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but this post is the closest I can find to my dilemma and I'm sure some one here can clarify this issue for me. I have a 1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport truck that sat for several years and the front of the headlight lens fell off. When looking for a replacement I find a lot of $55ish lights but all say fits but without sport package. From reading through this post i gather the regular lights will fit without issues but I'm a little nervous to purchase because of the big red letters saying fits but without sport package. And also I live a very financially distressed life so I don't have enough to do a trial an error approach. Could someone clarify that there wont be a bracket or wiring issue ? My apology again for being so unsure but some things just about have to be carved on the back of my hand before I could understand it.
Thanks a ton in advance.
The 96 didn't have the quad headlamps, so, the 'non-sport only' headlights are exactly the same as what is currently mounted on your truck. AM-Autoparts sells the headlights, with side markers pretty cheap, and even though they say they DO NOT come with bulbs, more often than not, they do.

May have to loosen the front bumper, and let it droop some to swap the headlights, but, not too bad of a job, and makes a BIG difference in lighting.

Welcome to DF!

Old 05-03-2020, 11:08 PM
Tyler Eggert

Hi, I've been reading through this forum page, and I didnt see a whole lot about the 2500/3500s I take it they are the same trim packages as the 1500s, reason I'm asking is I have a 99 ram 3500 and I'm in the process of replacing the lights and the dash and I dont want to get the wrong parts but i found a website saying that it wont fit sport models, now i beleive mine is a sport model die to the fact i have the 2 bulbs in each headlight along with color matched bumpers and grill, but how different is the interior?

Last edited by Tyler Eggert; 05-03-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:26 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome! The interiors are the same from 99-02. They were changed in 98 but final tweaks arrived in 99 and remained. No difference in Sport models. Sport package was an appearance package for the exterior: color matched bumpers, plastic covers, stickers, and quad lights. The interiors were all the same. The website doesn't know what it's talking about.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you are replacing the headlights, you need to get units that are designed for the sport model trucks. Interior doesn't matter though. Nothing changed inside.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Tyler Eggert

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are replacing the headlights, you need to get units that are designed for the sport model trucks. Interior doesn't matter though. Nothing changed inside.
how difficult would it be to change the sport headlights to normal ones, I found a wiring harness that says it covers the 9004 brights/dims and 9007 dims to just 9004, I didnt know how different the mounting was

Old 05-04-2020, 09:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So far as I know, the sockets are the same, just the wiring pattern is a bit different. Personally, I would stick with the four headlight system. It gives better light under almost all circumstances.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:15 PM
AA_RON

I'm so glad I found this forum! I just purchased a 2000 Ram 1500 Sport and want to replace the headlights to ones that aren't so aged looking. I now know from skimming through this post that I will have to find ones that are specific to the Sport model to fit my truck accurately. Thanks for the wealth of info on here guys!

Old 01-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

You're welcome!

Quick Reply: What's different on a sport model than a regular 1500