2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which way should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009 | 01:50 PM
bigtman07
|
Captain
Question Which way should I go?

I just got my Christmas bonus so I'm going to give my truck a Christmas present. I am either going to get the hughs plenum kit or I'm going to get a whole hughs intake. The thing that is puzzeling me is weather it is worth spending the extra money on a whole intake over just the plenum fix? I know if your truck is tuned and has been modded that the whole intake is the best route. But my truck is all stock but the flowmasters dual exhaust. So will I still get better results with a whole intake or just the fix. I also don't know if I have the death flash. I don't think so since there is no sticker but who knows it could have come off. So which way should I go? Should I spend the money on a whole new intake or should I just get the plate?

Old 12-23-2009 | 01:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I would say just do plenum fix, unless your going to do all the other mods needed to see any performance mods from the whole intake......the intake by itself actually costs (looses) power at the low end on a stock or near stock engine. You need mods like higher flowing heads and exhaust as well as tb to see improvments otherwise the intake is mismatched from the rest of the stock components...
but thats just the way I understand it...maybe I'm wrong and someone can prove otherwise?

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:02 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

i dont believe you see any losses on the hughes, the m1 you do

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
i dont believe you see any losses on the hughes, the m1 you do
that may be true I dont know the difference between the two...

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:08 PM
bigtman07
|
Captain

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
that may be true I dont know the difference between the two...
Neither do I so that's why I was asking if I should just fix the plenum or go with a whole intake. Looks like the plenum will be the better way to go. So does that mean I can go back to 87 octane?

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:26 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

should be able to

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:30 PM
bigtman07
|
Captain

Sweet. cause 92 is killing me. But its the only way to get rid of my ping at the moment till I fix the plenum. So it would be best to just fix the plenum and go on. Now, what about replacing o2 sensors. Says i should do that too? Is it really necessary? Plugs and Wires I understand. Any tips to remove the intake without snapping any bolts?

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:45 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

my intake bolts didnt snap at all.

my advice for you is to get the manifold ported and polished when its out. Cost me 40 bucks at a local machine shop to have mine done. Looked brand new, and i use the hughes plenum. truck runs 100x better.

the plenum is much easier than most make it out to be, ive doneit twice, the only problems iv had is the first time, i forgot to replace fuel injector o-rings so they leaked, and routed my dist. cap wrong. otherthan that it was a breeze. perfect time to do dist.cap/rotor as well.

Old 12-23-2009 | 02:59 PM
bigtman07
|
Captain

I figured I would do the cap an rotor and wires too. The port and polish is a good idea. I was following a thread earlier about the death flash and finding it on our trucks. after fixing the plenum will the death flash impact my performance? and If I don't have a sticker is there any way to tell if I have the flash? Does the plenum repair kit from hughes have the plenum gasket with it? I'm not seeing it.

Last edited by bigtman07; 12-23-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2009 | 03:07 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

mnay reccomend getting a fel-pro gasket opposed to the gasket that comes with the hughes plate. i used the hughes gasket and i have no leaks, so its up toyou.

deathflash will rob your truck of power. after you fix plenum and 02sensor/plugs wires etc. you should notice quite a difference, if not, you have the deahflash most likely