2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

locker or spool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, but when you are in 4WD it is going to be hell to turn.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
codyselcamino
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the disconnect, disconnect both tires or just one? i might be interested in one if it does both, one tire would make a difference but both would be awsome, if it only disconnects one a spool would put alot of stress on the cv joint still enguaged, did you look at the Lock Right lockers? im kinda in the same situation and im seriously considering one in my front end

Old 01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeboy7
Anyway back to the whole reson why i start the thread. How is the spool going to put any more stree on the front end vs a locker or open end b/c either way the driver side u joint is spinning. I can under stand that it well be hard on the truck if i was on dry pavement but i am smarter then that.
As I said before, when you're using 4x4, the spool will store up energy in the shafts, a locker unlocks everytime you let off the gas, releasing that energy.

I've driven my B2 in the snow, it has lockers front and rear, it handles great and has no problems steering.

If you're going to have 1 locker, start with the rear.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
97ram5.2
Rookie

i no u stated before that your not putting one in the rear but wouldnt a spool eat ur tires up realy bad realy quick always being engaged

Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Yeah, but when you are in 4WD it is going to be hell to turn.
That why you dont put it in 4wd when your on dry pavment. Kinda though that was com sen but i guess not.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran

Originally Posted by codyselcamino
does the disconnect, disconnect both tires or just one? i might be interested in one if it does both, one tire would make a difference but both would be awsome, if it only disconnects one a spool would put alot of stress on the cv joint still enguaged, did you look at the Lock Right lockers? im kinda in the same situation and im seriously considering one in my front end
Only on the passager side

Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM
yakkier
Banned
Thumbs up

LMAO thats awesome.

That why you dont put it in 4wd when your on dry pavment. Kinda though that was com sen but i guess not.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
As I said before, when you're using 4x4, the spool will store up energy in the shafts, a locker unlocks everytime you let off the gas, releasing that energy.

I've driven my B2 in the snow, it has lockers front and rear, it handles great and has no problems steering.

If you're going to have 1 locker, start with the rear.
The locker going to store energy to and only unload when one feels that one tire going slow or faster then the other(when your turning) a spool is just going to make the tire slip to release the energy that why you only use off road

Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What idiot uses low range on pavement?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

In my opinion, a Dana44 is way to weak of an axle to put a spool in... at least under a full size truck. And even when only using it off road, I still guarantee very difficult steering, and a very good chance of lots of broken axle shafts. Hell, the u-joints cant live with an open diff.

If you are dead set on a locker, I would seriously look into the Aussie locker. Its cheap (under $250), is 100% locking under throttle, yet still allows some differential when turning.

Quick Reply: locker or spool?