2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tranny decision

ok, so here's my dilemma. i have some money to spend on a transmission. i can either get a dr. evil tranny (basic street evil w/ towing upgrades) for $1995 (not sure if that includes shipping or not). OR i can get a normal rebuilt tranny for $1100 free shipping. whats everyone's opinions or thoughts on what i should or you would do. i do have some bills to pay so i'm kinda leaning towards the normal rebuilt one. just want some input on the situation. thanks guys!

also, if i do the rebuilt one, i plan on buying a transgo shift kit to put in it while i have it out. which one does everyone think would be a decent one?

Last edited by wjxavier; 02-22-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probally go with the stock rebuild and shift kit if I knew I had bills to pay. The dr. Evil trannys are nice but I would save that 800 bucks for something else. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how long you're going to keep it and how you drive it.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by wjxavier
ok, so here's my dilemma. i have some money to spend on a transmission. i can either get a dr. evil tranny (basic street evil w/ towing upgrades) for $1995 (not sure if that includes shipping or not). OR i can get a normal rebuilt tranny for $1100 free shipping. whats everyone's opinions or thoughts on what i should or you would do. i do have some bills to pay so i'm kinda leaning towards the normal rebuilt one. just want some input on the situation. thanks guys!

also, if i do the rebuilt one, i plan on buying a transgo shift kit to put in it while i have it out. heres a link to compare all of them. which one does everyone think would be a decent one?
I personally would go this route if you trust the shop that's rebuilding it. Just ask if they are using Borg-Warner plates, I've had the best experience with them and they tend to have thinner plates meaning there are more clutches in clutch packs that need them.

You know these transmissions are actually pretty simple and if you have access to a hydraulic press and basic mechanics skills you could go through it yourself. An ATSG manual is $20 and you can get all the parts needed for a rebuild for about $550 (and that includes a shift kit and a torque converter).

Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

yea, i think i'm just gonna do the rebuilt one. my dad does a lot of business with this guy and trusts him. he also rebuilds tranny's for all the local shops around there as well. plus, i do have the other bills to pay for as well lol. i'm just gonna be getting a shift kit plus a new better tranny cooler and call it good. what does everyone suggest for a shift kit?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by wjxavier
yea, i think i'm just gonna do the rebuilt one. my dad does a lot of business with this guy and trusts him. he also rebuilds tranny's for all the local shops around there as well. plus, i do have the other bills to pay for as well lol. i'm just gonna be getting a shift kit plus a new better tranny cooler and call it good. what does everyone suggest for a shift kit?
Trans-Go... Also, ask to have a Sonnax Low/Reverse servo put in, it's about $60, but well worth it as far as reliability/peace of mind.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i have an RH tranny. i dont think i have a servo that controls that do i? i thought it was hydraulically controlled...

regardless, i was planning on getting a transgo shift kit, but there are so many options as to what type of shift kit i can get...if you go on summitracing theres like 4 or 5 different ones and i don't really know if the higher priced ones are really worth it or not.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

anyone suggest a certain level transgo shift kit i should get? whats the difference between street, race, full race, instant full race? its confusing to me lol

Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

The servo controls the low reverse band and yes you have it. Its not an electronic. How firm do you want your shifts. Also make sure you don't get one that is full manual.

I have the one that has options and mine is set up at nearly full race. Under light throttle I can feel it a little bit. Under mid to high I really feel it and it makes the truck shutter. I love it but it is just personal preference.

The lightest kit (the level 1 i guess you could call it) you won't really feel.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

I think I have the TFOD-HD2, it gives you many options.

I would suggest the TF-2.

Also when you do it get the lock up put to max. Mine is at max and I don't even feel it engage.

Quick Reply: tranny decision