2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe 3rd gear limp mode keeps the average idiot from revving the engine to 6K to get it to go 20 mph.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KYHI
Never said it was fixed !!!

But since it is my only form of transportation - I am sure it is better on the trans then driving around in third...

It now drives on the pressure sensor and governor solenoid.. It just bypassed the OD solenoids..

Oh thanks again for your support... Not everybody can run right out and get it fixed today - Wish I had your money!!!

But it does confirm that Autozone (and the dodge dealer) are pushing the wrong part to fix the PO753 issue..

It also comfirms that the trans relay and wiring are not the issue either..

And also confirms that you are correct in that - one of the 3-4 /OD solenoids is bad.. and not the pressure governor as was replaced or pressure sensor

Why are you getting an attitude with me? You came into MY thread and asked ME for help. I TOLD YOU THE CORRECT PART TO REPLACE. You scoffed in my face (figuratively) and demanded a diagnostic process. You went around your elbow to get to your *** to figure out what i told you in the beginning. If you would have replaced what i suggested instead of wasting time "diagnosing" it would be fixed now.

Why would i go through a long drawn out electrical diagnostic process when i know what the problem is? Do you know why i know what the problem is? Because ive fixed this problem before, ive already done all of the diagnosis and hard work, so i can come on here and help you.

Why bother coming in here and asking questions if your not going to listen to the person you ask?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I believe 3rd gear limp mode keeps the average idiot from revving the engine to 6K to get it to go 20 mph.
In certain situations yes. Not every transmission DTC will put the trans in limp mode. Only certain ones the computer deems harmful or potentially harmful. If you have a shorted solenoid, to ground or power, i can damage other parts of the electrical system, even the computer, so the trans cuts off power to the transmission putting the trans in limp mode. When there is no power going to the governor solenoid it reverts to only third gear. This is the computers way of saying "something bad is wrong, this needs to be fixed pronto."

Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how long does a typical 46re last and whats the highest you have seen yourself ??

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
how long does a typical 46re last and whats the highest you have seen yourself ??
I did one for a mexican fellow, truck had ~250k. He came back a year later with a bad rear end and the truck had 300k. He drives the truck back and forth to mexico hauling cars from america into mexico. Its only a 1500! As far as i know he is still trucking.

Typically i see them from 120-180.

Did a 47re at 210k, 44re at 320k

The highest chevy ive seen was 300k on a factory 4l60e, it came in for a transfer case, with 290k, came back for u joints a few months later with 307k, and as far as i know the truck is still going, they havent come back for a transmission yet, lol.

The LOWEST ive done one was a ford winstar, 36k miles! Just out of factory warranty by the years.

The ford trucks are a toss up i see some with low miles, then ill see some with high miles

Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe a lot of Ford truck transmission problems are driver induced. Specially with the diesels. Everybody thinks they can buy an oil burner and then throw a chip on it and call it good. I know our 2004 F-350 6.0 hasn't had any problems when people said it would, but that's also because we had a custom tune from edge written so that when it goes to shift, no matter what your foot is doing, the motor will defuel and unload the power to keep things from getting churned up. I have thought this for a long time and Ferguson diesel has the data to prove it.

Course, eye of the beholder I guess since we lifted the heads off of it while coming up a hill with 25K+ on the ball and the turbo tried to pull 35PSI of boost. Things went boom.

All depends on how you treat them anymore.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All, quick break in topic for this announcement.

I am going to give this general warning to everyone who comes here to this thread. This is one thread that i'm not going to allow any BS in. We are really fortunate to have MonteC taking his time to give us his knowledge in here, which he doesn't have to do. So lets keep this thread going for the benefit of everyone, because this is some seriously good stuff. No BS, no bickering, no argueing, etc...

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Xombi (11-15-2019)
Old 04-17-2010, 02:44 PM
dakota123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46rh vs 46re

i pulled my 95 4x4 46rh, i was going to fix but it is in bad shape, it had a plugged cooler line. i can get a good 2000 4x4 46re for real cheap. can i use the internals from the 46re in the 46rh, i think some of the parts are interchangeable, which parts can i use from this 46re, to fix the 46rh,,,, converter? pump? overdrive? planets? internals, ect... i know that this maybe a lot to ask so thanks in advance

Old 04-17-2010, 07:49 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dakota123
i pulled my 95 4x4 46rh, i was going to fix but it is in bad shape, it had a plugged cooler line. i can get a good 2000 4x4 46re for real cheap. can i use the internals from the 46re in the 46rh, i think some of the parts are interchangeable, which parts can i use from this 46re, to fix the 46rh,,,, converter? pump? overdrive? planets? internals, ect... i know that this maybe a lot to ask so thanks in advance

You wont be able to use the tailshaft and the center support out of the 46re. Thats about it. The converter will depend on the motor and how it is balanced.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:46 PM
mhuntere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2L V8 magnum 4x4. When I test drove it everything ran fine, shifted through every gear with ease and no jerking. Had to have a few things replaced to pass inspection including a front right cv joint and a hub assembly. I just got the truck back from my shop fri and have driven it four times since. Three of the four times i will hit the gas and nothing withh happen wont even rev up well and i have to take my foot off the gas and try again, it also makes a little bit of a clunking noise. When this is happening and i stop the engine idles rough. When it does happen it only happens with in the first few minutes of starting it up. Im not sure what is going on, maybe something they replaced was done wrong?

Thanks in advance
Mhuntere

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)