2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hs 1.7 rr

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

I started teaching my son to drive when he was 8 or 9..... on an old Chevy Luv 4x4 with a manual trans. He thought that was awesome.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 PM
biggreen2500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Yes I have the Mopar Adjustables on my motor, Do they make a diff yes, a big diff no. Maybe 14hp some say more some less. Only a slight change in motor sound. I am in no means trying to talk you out of the cam I think you should do it. All I am saying is a cam change needs the right accompanying parts. And you need to know that by going to a 1.7 rocker your cam choice will be limited to what cam you can use. Thats were that little math figure I posted will help you.

oh i think we got mis understod. i was never gonna do the 1.7 rollers if i did a cam

my idea was to either do a cam and springs, (and i guess maybe lifters and push rods now?) and keep the stock 1.6 rr

or just HS 1.7 roller rocker

Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
biggreen2500
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I started teaching my son to drive when he was 8 or 9..... on an old Chevy Luv 4x4 with a manual trans. He thought that was awesome.
thats very nice of you my dad both started teaching me when i was about 8 or 9 years old.. my dad got me a old beat up for 16 passager van for 50 dollars lol... we have 15 acres of woods and open fields so i spent all my times out there lol

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're likely aware of this, but others reading this thread may not be... so..

the OE rockers aren't rollers.. they are stamped steel 'pivot' rockers.. there are 1.6:1 rocker rollers to be had, which would match the stock ratio, but be rollers as well..

there are some who argue (I'm one of them) that a good chunk of the benefit of rocker rollers is losing parasitic loss of power through the valve train.. they are easier to actuate than the pivot style.. any loss of effort to make parts and pieces work, translates to more power to the drive train..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an old Buick Regal when I was that age. It was wire plum out. You could jerk the steering one way and then the other, back and forth, and the sides of the car would scrape the ground lol. My first "performance" mod on that car was flipping the airhat upside down good times

Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drew is correct. Additionally, not only are the HS rockers roller tip, but they are roller fulcrum too. So that is another places that you have less friction at play versus the stock design. Secondly, they are aluminum. So they are lighter then the stock stamped steel rockers (which equates again to less parasitic loss), plus they maintain a more consistant temperature then do steel componenets (alum obsorbs and releases heat more evenly and easily then steel does).

These are all benefits (in addition to the ratio difference) of going with aftermarket rockers over the stock stamped steel rockers. I've been running HS 1.7's in my truck for something like 4 years now, probably 50k miles, and they are still (in my book) one of the best mods for the money (at least what I paid for them back then).

Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM
biggreen2500
All Star

alrightly well i'm sold on these puppies then.... will i need to new push rods when i buy the 1.7 roller rockers from my 2001 360? or do i need need the hs 1.7 rocker rockers and that it?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think the NON-Adjustable rockers, and that's it. If you go for the adjustable guys, you might need to replace pushrods as well.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to John from Southeast earlier today for a breif moment and he was quite personable more than happy to order me some HS rollers. Told me to drop him an email with what I want. The price has gone up a little but still cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I'm going to order them. Here's the info he sent me if anyone else is interested.

Harland Sharp 1.7 S70037
Hi,

Glad you found us, we are the actual inventors of the magnum series HS rockers. I designed
them in 1998 and asked several companies to build them for me. They laughed
and said not enough sales in Mopar.

I called Harland Sharp and 6 weeks later had the prototypes at my door.
Since this, i have made 2 other designs. Fantastic people at Harland Sharp, i know them personnally, and they stand by their work.. Your making a great choice and will enjoy the gains.
Most dyno's with the 1.7 have shown 15-24HP gains depending on your engine mods. Around a 1 to 1.5 mpg increase in some applications, just depends on the foot.

We have outperformed and out sold all other manufacturers of real Dodge magnum rockers. They use Heavy steel, expensive and HP losses due to their weight, run hotter and affecting the bearings, heat oil higher, they don't come into the performance picture.

These are bolt on rockers with no need for valve cover changes, pushrods or clearance issues.

The Comp Cams Magnum rockers have been misused by some of the wanna bee
online places in past. Beware, Comp does not make a Dodge rocker for this
application. These guys are using a FORD rocker which has a different fulcrum length. It will eat the valve guides up in fast time but what do they care.

Cost of the 1.6 or 1.7 HS non adjustable rockers for the V8 5.2, 5.9, 408 are $324.00 ship included to your address using check made to me or money order. Typically, ship takes 5-10 days or less. If not on shelf, might take a few days longer to custom build.

These rockers were designed as a simple bolt on part re-using stock pushrods, springs and valve covers. Remove the stock rockers and guideplates completely. Install the new rockers as a pair and tighten down equally back and forth until setting on the head. Tighten bolts to 21 ft lbs.

I will be glad to speak with you during the install and help if needed, just ask.

Send to:
John Mercedes
4107 N. Tampania ave.
Tampa, FL 33607

Make sure to put a note inside with your address info and what you wanted so i don't forget.

For credit cards use paypal.com and add $10.00 for their service charge. send total $334.00 shipped including paypal charge to john@southeastrt.com

Thanks for the email and looking forward to having you in our Dodge family.

John
813-503-8069

Last edited by beeker; 12-07-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good info. Thank You.