2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how does this 360 short block sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
And I am supposed to know that how! It's not in the add that he works at a shop.
....no big deal, thats why i said it, because i didnt say it earlier. he, for some reason, doesnt want to sell it anymore. so ive started my parts list for a 360 short block engine from fliteline engine supply, with no cam or timing... of course

Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote "he, for some reason, doesn't want to sell it anymore". With that statement I do believe you just saved yourself a bunch of money and probably one major headache. Better to start from scratch as you are now going to do,this way you can pick and choose the parts you want.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Quote "he, for some reason, doesn't want to sell it anymore". With that statement I do believe you just saved yourself a bunch of money and probably one major headache. Better to start from scratch as you are now going to do,this way you can pick and choose the parts you want.
yea its prolly for the better, just thought buying from him might be cheaper. but now i know this short block was assebled correctly and has a warranty

Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

ok i got a quote from precision engine and here it is: how does it sound, i really like the new forged rods but are the heads going to be a problem? i dont think theyre iron ram heads. is the bowl porting worth it?

Please review the following quote and specifications to your custom-built performance longblock: 360 Dodge magnum : 325 -375 hp with 370FT LBS torque

üBlock bored, honed, decked and align honed
üNew cam bearings
üPerformance camshaft: (cam specifications are subject to change)
o210/215 @ .050
o.505 lift
o110 lobe center
üMatching roller lifters
üNew forged rods with ARP rod bolts

üReground 3.578 ” stroke
üCrankshaft micro-polished less than a 12 RA finish
üPerformance pistons with Molly rings
o9 to 1 compression ratio
üMatched weight balanced rotating assembly with balancer
üNew timing set
üNew high volume oil pump
üNew gasket set
üNew push rods, and stamped rockers
üNew ARP head bolts
ü New stainless 2.02/1.650 valves
üMatching springs
ü3 angle seats
üBronze guides
üPositive seals
üDial in cam
üPainted black
üOptional aluminum heads (add $2200.00)
ü

·Bowl Porting included-stage 2 is additional $495.00
·Price $ 2995.00.00 plus core and shipping

Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 AM
working4ev
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi just saw this post I like talking engine building :-)

My friend this is a nice build sheet!!!

But for 3000 bucks I would expect roller rockers. But that is just me.

Things to think about

The oil system is the most over looked part of rebuilding an engine.

Tell them you want the crank bearings to have the oil hole and grove on both pieces. (this means buying two sets of crank bearing but you will get twice the oil to the crank)

just my 2 cents

Old 10-31-2010, 11:29 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

yea ill see if i can work out a deal with em. he seemed flexible.

can you elaborate on the crank oiling?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

The "performance cam" will require a custom tune, so, better include a wideband O2 in your calculations, and the equipment necessary to to data log, so your tune writer can do ya up.

2.02 valves are larger than the stockers.

I would recommend that you talk to a local machine shop, and get prices on rebuilding YOUR engine, to the same, or better, specs. Save yourself shipping a HEAVY engine two ways......

Old 10-31-2010, 11:54 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The "performance cam" will require a custom tune, so, better include a wideband O2 in your calculations, and the equipment necessary to to data log, so your tune writer can do ya up.

2.02 valves are larger than the stockers.

I would recommend that you talk to a local machine shop, and get prices on rebuilding YOUR engine, to the same, or better, specs. Save yourself shipping a HEAVY engine two ways......
yea the only problem is i dont think i can have the engine out of the truck for long enough to have a rebuild done, as i need to drive it...

so these arent the stock heads, they are similar to iron rams or something?

what equipment do you need to data log? i plan to get an sct from hemi and a wideband o2.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

They are better than the stock heads. (1.92 intake valves stock....) Are they the "Iron Ram" heads? Don't know on that score...... but, even if they just have thicker decks, they would be better than stock.

Yeah, "time" can be a commodity worth a fair bit to. I understand where that one is coming from. Could you pick up a junkyard motor and rebuild that one instead?

There are a bunch of methods for data logging. My personal favorite is a laptop, the right cable, and the right software. Software is available for free, just doesn't do some of the neat tricks that the stuff you pay for can do. Look around, see what you can find. Cables run about 30 to 40 bucks.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
They are better than the stock heads. (1.92 intake valves stock....) Are they the "Iron Ram" heads? Don't know on that score...... but, even if they just have thicker decks, they would be better than stock.

Yeah, "time" can be a commodity worth a fair bit to. I understand where that one is coming from. Could you pick up a junkyard motor and rebuild that one instead?

There are a bunch of methods for data logging. My personal favorite is a laptop, the right cable, and the right software. Software is available for free, just doesn't do some of the neat tricks that the stuff you pay for can do. Look around, see what you can find. Cables run about 30 to 40 bucks.
is it possible for them to be stock heads with 2.02 valves or can that not be done?

i guess thats an option but id be afraid that hed magnaflux the block and find a crack or something, right?

man this stuffs getting expensive!

Quick Reply: how does this 360 short block sound?