2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

8" lift kit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willstruck
So, what is a g50 pack, and blazer leaves? You guys got me interested in building a spring pack to lift my 2500. I don't want a big lift, just a few inches, but I want to get as much flex as I can out of it.

Is there a guide somewhere online for building leaf packs?
A G50 pack is a leaf pack produced by Deaver. It's a great starting point for anyone building a leaf long travel setup. Really, that pack is designed for a Ranger's weight, however if you beef it up with comparable leaves, a few Blazer leafs for example, it becomes nearly perfect for a fullsized truck. Its shortcuts like that, that can save a customer or my wallet $$$ while not harming performance or longevity. A G50 is significantly longer then your factory leaf springs. It's essentially bolt on long travel. You'd need new hangers, real shocks and a bedcage to run them. A buddy of mine runs straight G50's on his sportrac. He picked them up for $50 at a part swap.

If you just want looks, just use a block. If you want performance, I'd look into building real suspension. Avoid shackle flips, drop brackets and the like at all costs.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

So,instead of just spending the money on the spring pack, you spend the money on brackets and other sundries to mount the inexpensive pack?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
TheBigRedOne

If it were me? Hell no. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
If it were me? Hell no. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Ok, now ya got me confused. First, you seem to be advocating the G50 spring pack, as it is dirt cheap. But, as it is so long, you would need to purchase some 'other stuff' in order to mount them...... Now, you are saying that you wouldn't do that????

Bear in mind, I am pretty sure we have very few members that indulge in offroad racing with any amount of seriousness here..... mostly just trail riders that do it for fun. (and the assorted pulling truck.... ) So, what YOU would do, I generally take that to imply a "racing" truck....... in which case, spending the big money is DEFINITELY the way to go...... but, for the average joe....... the expense of 'doing it right' just can't really be justified. (unless they have a rather large amount of disposable income, which really doesn't seem to be the rule here.)

Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Yeah its not as simple as hes making it sound... Basically people build their own packs for race trucks and thats it. No daily driver does it normally....

The other parts arn't all that exspensive but its stupid building a cage cuz its a pita... and of course what he considers "real shocks" are exspensive...

Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, there does appear to be a dramatic difference in philosophies here......

Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, now ya got me confused. First, you seem to be advocating the G50 spring pack, as it is dirt cheap. But, as it is so long, you would need to purchase some 'other stuff' in order to mount them...... Now, you are saying that you wouldn't do that????
Sounds like you're the one confused.
Bear in mind, I am pretty sure we have very few members that indulge in offroad racing with any amount of seriousness here..... mostly just trail riders that do it for fun. (and the assorted pulling truck.... ) So, what YOU would do, I generally take that to imply a "racing" truck....... in which case, spending the big money is DEFINITELY the way to go...... but, for the average joe....... the expense of 'doing it right' just can't really be justified. (unless they have a rather large amount of disposable income, which really doesn't seem to be the rule here.)
Keep in mind what the thread creator said he wanted to do. He wanted to lift a 4500lbs+ pile of steel and rubber over 8 inches in the air, on a bunch of spacers and blocks, run grossly oversized and far heavier tires, all while not increasing braking power, without trussing up the axles, not increasing the strength at the joints, and using inferior parts to do all of the above.

Come on, who's the one who cant justify himself?
Originally Posted by Gav1n8
Yeah its not as simple as hes making it sound... Basically people build their own packs for race trucks and thats it. No daily driver does it normally....

The other parts arn't all that exspensive but its stupid building a cage cuz its a pita... and of course what he considers "real shocks" are exspensive...
No, it's very simple. Some tube, a welder, and some parts are all you need to build a bedcage. Real shocks aren't expensive either. FOA smooths can be had for about $175 apiece.
I can daily drive my expy if I want to. It has plates.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 11-03-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Cages has to built to a certain spec. It's not as simple as welding some peices together. And not everyone wants a ugly *** cage in their truck...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM
TheBigRedOne

What spec might that be???

Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Okay remember how he said average joes come here mainly? Measuring bed, height, etc. thickness of pipe. If your trying to convince some 16 year old kid on here to go build his own cage your a threat to society... Not everyone can weld (suprisingly very few)... good that is...

Little fyi cuz ur hating on a shackle flip... Quite a few people that build their own packs will go ahead and shackle flip'em...

Quick Reply: 8" lift kit question