2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

$3,500+ in repairs, still no fix HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
rcs4787
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $3,500+ in repairs, still no fix HELP!

Hi guys, 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2L V8, 299k miles

The problem before any repairs, transmission was erratic and loss of power picking up speed, I was told it was the torque converter, transmission was rebuilt and never did run normal. I was in and out of the shop for weeks until finally they put in a Jasper 46re Trans with 3yr 100k mile warranty in hoping to fix the problem.
Now to the present:
  • after putting in new Jasper Trans, Trans Shop said my TPS sensor was bad and caused damaged to first rebuilt so I had an Engine Shop replaced with part from dealer, no fix
  • while replacing TPS I went ahead and had tune-up overhaul done because I thought it was time, been 5+ yrs on tune-up
  • upset with 1st Trans Shop I took truck to 2nd Trans Shop because truck started jerking between 40-50 mph, like torque converter was locking and unlocking everytime I would llift foot off gas then re-engage after pressing gas again with a hard thrust to the engine
  • 2nd Trans Shop said it was the torque converter in the newly installed Jasper Trans, called Jasper since under warrenty and they sent new Trans. I had to pay labor upfront until Jasper investigated core from 1st Trans
  • after installing the 2nd Jasper Trans the problems still exsisted, Jasper notified me that no problem was found in 1st Trans but was nice enough to reimburse me the labor cost
  • I took truck to dealer and they said its in the Tran but cant do anything because its under warranty through Jasper, go figure
I dont know what to try next
  • Engine Shop is now saying maybe intermitten computer issue under hood, to replace with new computer
  • I have had only one engine code to report , misfire plug 8
Forgot to mention Cat was replaced this past spring, thats what I thought would fix my loss of power issue but didnt

Last edited by rcs4787; 11-17-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

silly question, but have you adjusted your throttle position cable since the first tranny?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Hhhhhmmmm.... the "jerking" thing sounds familiar. I had a similar problem, whereas, at about 45 MPH, the truck would jerk like crazy. It wasn't a transmission problem though, it was engine missfire. Corrected the misfire condition, and the trans works just fine.

Take off your air cleaner, and throttle body, take a peak down there, see any oil? If ya do, then there is at least part of your problem.... plenum gasket is blown. Sucks in oil, fouls plugs, leans out the mixture, cause spark knock, excessive oil consumption, etc. (you mean see all, or none, of these symptoms, depending on how bad it is.) Also leads to premature cat failure.

Since you also got a tune up, what kind of plug wires did they put on? Were they just some cheap generic brand? If so, check out the Tech Service Bulletin in the FAQ section here about plug wire routing. That has been a known cause of misfire. (crossfire actually...)

How old are your O2 sensors? A failing O2 will give false readings to the PCM, potentially causing a lean condition.... that promotes spark knock, and also engine misfires.

Does it have any specific symptoms? Only when warm? Cold? After driving for X minutes?

Cylinder 8 misfire sometimes points to a failing cat...... sometimes.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
rcs4787
Default thanks for quick response

I am assuming that the highly recommended shop installing the 2nd Trans would have caught that, could I be wrong?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends on how familiar they are with the second gen dodges. Are they a general shop? Or, do they specialize in transmissions?

Even the dealership gets the diagnosis on these wrong on occasion.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 PM
rcs4787

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhhhhmmmm.... the "jerking" thing sounds familiar. I had a similar problem, whereas, at about 45 MPH, the truck would jerk like crazy. It wasn't a transmission problem though, it was engine missfire. Corrected the misfire condition, and the trans works just fine.

Take off your air cleaner, and throttle body, take a peak down there, see any oil? If ya do, then there is at least part of your problem.... plenum gasket is blown. Sucks in oil, fouls plugs, leans out the mixture, cause spark knock, excessive oil consumption, etc. (you mean see all, or none, of these symptoms, depending on how bad it is.) Also leads to premature cat failure.

Since you also got a tune up, what kind of plug wires did they put on? Were they just some cheap generic brand? If so, check out the Tech Service Bulletin in the FAQ section here about plug wire routing. That has been a known cause of misfire. (crossfire actually...)

How old are your O2 sensors? A failing O2 will give false readings to the PCM, potentially causing a lean condition.... that promotes spark knock, and also engine misfires.

Does it have any specific symptoms? Only when warm? Cold? After driving for X minutes?

I replaced up/down stream about 5 yrs ago because I had a code reported. I only get the jerk when easing off gas then trying to speed up again. If I leave in OverDrive the jerk disappears. Also as long as I get above 50 and never lift foot I have no jerk

Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
rcs4787

Depends on how familiar they are with the second gen dodges. Are they a general shop? Or, do they specialize in transmissions?

Even the dealership gets the diagnosis on these wrong on occasion.
They specialize and rebuild on site. Thanks for your good pointers, its more than I had before

Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How are your shift points? Does the trans shift well otherwise? No delayed/harsh shifts? or flares between shifts?

Jasper doesn't really have a stellar reputation.......

Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
rcs4787

Forgot to mention Cat was replaced this past spring, thats what I thought would fix my loss of power issue but didnt

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
rcs4787

How are your shift points? Does the trans shift well otherwise? No delayed/harsh shifts? or flares between shifts?

Jasper doesn't really have a stellar reputation.......
2nd - 15mph
3rd - 30 mph
4th - (40 - 50 mph) get a quick hit or jerk, after that as long as I dont slow down or lift foot things are ok

Quick Reply: $3,500+ in repairs, still no fix HELP!