2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interesting cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting cooling problem

I have an interesting cooling problem that I have never seen before, and I am a little concerned. While I was driving home from work today, I noticed that the coolant temperature wasn't where I thought it should be. Looking at the gauge, the needle was about 1/4" below the 210 mark. It seems to me it should be a little higher than that.

Now I have only had the truck for a few months, so I have absolutely no idea what heat level the thermostat might be. 195 is stock, I believe.

Now here is the interesting part. When I got home, I popped the hood and grabbed the top radiator hose, which was quite hot. The bottom hose was cold. The top of the radiator itself was quite hot as well, so I know at least the top of it is getting coolant. Now I didn't reach down to the bottom of the radiator, but I would assume it would be cool if the bottom hose was. Also, the bottom hose was cool for the whole length, from the radiator to the water pump.

This has got me a little perplexed. What would be the possible cause of this? Is my water pump going out? This is sure a bad time of year for this to happen, as I don't have a garage, and I live in northern Michigan.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

The engine running cooler that what you think it should, and the lower hose being cold are kinda contradictory symptoms..... which, I suppose, should really come as a Surprise...

hows the heat? Nice and toasty in the cab?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Yeah, the heat works REALLY well. I usually have it in the middle, otherwise it gets too damn hot in there.

So you think I have a serious issue, or am I just worried for nothing?

I appreciate any advise and help. Thanks much.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, the heater working good implies that the water pump is doing its job. Being able to cook you out of there you are going to find is a GOOD thing come winter. I know what northern michigan winters can be like, especially right there on the lake.

Its possible that the truck is running cooler, simply because it IS cooler.... It is November after all. Just pay attention to your temp gauge, and so long as the motor doesn't overheat, or, Not warm up..... and your toes stay toasty, you should be fine.

Welcome to DF.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Thanks a lot. It just kind of freaked me out when the bottom hose was cold and the top was so darned hot. I have never seen that before.

Of course most of the vehicles I have ever owned have been Chevy's.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, how far had you driven at the time?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Probably ten miles or so. About half of it was at about 45 mph, and the rest was at about 55 or so.

It takes me twenty minutes or so to get home with traffic in the afternoon, so I'm sure it was up to temp.

Once again, I appreciate the info. Since this truck is new to me, I guess I have to take the time to get to know it.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shoulda been fully warmed up then..... hhhmmmm.... how cold was the lower hose?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
outdoortoys
Amateur

Hot coolant from the engine enters the radiator via the top hose, travels down through radiator transferring the coolants heat to the air, and returns to the engine via the bottom hose. You system is working correctly.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

The lower hose wasn't freezing cold, but it was cool like it would be on say a 50 degree day when the truck has been sitting all day.

I guess my cooling system must be really, really efficient if the bottom hose is cool and everything is working properly.

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

Quick Reply: Interesting cooling problem