2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010 | 11:48 AM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Company seems to be in clearwater florida as well..... same company? Who knows.

No clue on the pricing for the machine work. Haven't had to deal with that for quite some time.
what do you think about:
as you were saying smaller valves are better fow lower rpms... so questions is what is considered low? this engine would never ever see 5k +

ive also done some digging and some folks seem to think the smaller valve in addition to some bowl porting is a great combo and better than that of a 2.02 beacause velocity decreases as the valve size increases...hmmm if theres this much debate it may not be worth spending money to "upgrade

Old 12-09-2010 | 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Considering your intended use, I would just stick with the smaller valves, and go with a bit of port work. Gasket matching the intake/heads would most certainly help all thru the RPM range. A bit of bowl work seems to have led to appreciable gains in the test done in the article you linked.

The 408 is going to have all kinds of low RPM grunt in any event. Doing a bit of work to get even more doesn't seem like such a bad plan, however, I would also set aside some money for trans upgrades. They were weak from the factory behind a 318..... I bet the big cube engine will be able to make short work of it.

Old 12-09-2010 | 03:09 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

haha my thoughts as well in both areas

i dont think gains would be noticeable enough to go and spend $750 plus porting on 2.02 iron rams. the r/t's BTW are from a completely diff casting than oem mag heads, so i guess they arent prone to cracking, but regardless 1.92 w/ porting seems to be a winning combo, esp since this is a daily driver and not a drag truck

and yes! i do fear for my poor trans, its got it so easy now! it seems to be in very good shape and it was rebuilt 40k ago. if i monitor the temp gauge closely will i be able to get some extra life out of her or will it just go w/o any elevated temps or what?

im debating as to what i want to do... i can get the PATC mega viper rebuild kit for $450, so do i buy a used 46RE on craigslist and do the work myself or is it as scary as i think it is? in which case ill have it done professionally... in any case the $2600 that PATC charges seems to be overpriced considering that it only has $450 worth of parts in it, or is it?

Old 12-09-2010 | 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think they put more than the 450 worth of parts in. As I recall, the Mega Viper has the five, or six gear planetary set, along with various other 'hard part' upgrades. (does that one come with the billet torque converter, or is that an 'extra'?) When I wandered thru a list of pieces/parts that montec had posted in his thread, for a member that regularly towed a 7k pound trailer, I hit 1000 bucks in parts easily. Now, that included damn near everything needed, and a few options as well, and I think that build would have been very similar to the Mega Viper, and maybe even just a tad meaner. BUT, that did NOT include a torque converter...... (another 100-500 bucks, depending on what you want....)

Rebuilding your own is certainly an option. Only one step requires some real creativity, compressing the huge spring. If you have a press available, you can buy the tool, (not really worth it, unless you are going to start rebuilding these guys on a regular basis) make one..... or, improvise using large c-clamps. (which another member did.....) You need a CLEAN place to work, and the ability to clean the parts well enough that you would be willing to eat off of them.

J415 has a transmission thread in the FAQ forums, with some VERY good information, including links to several DIY's for a trans rebuild. There are also videos on youtube..... LOTS of information out there for the DIYer.

Picking up another trans to tear down, go thru, and then just swap 'em out would be the way to go, if you wanted to rebuild your own. Then, when you were done, and satisfied with the new trans, you could go ahead and sell the old one for a good price, and get back at least part of your investment.

If you want the list, PM me your email address, I have it 'spiffed up' a bit in a text file on my machine.

Old 12-09-2010 | 11:42 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

hmmm i may just order the mega viper after all or maybe max evil idk. max evil seems just a bit cheaper.

with the new engine, will tranny temp be enough to give me a good idea of whats goin on inside the tranny? or could it just puke regardless of temp?

Old 12-10-2010 | 12:41 AM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

check this out $1150 w/ 3 yr warranty. heres what the seller said-
This transmission will hold up for what you are doing.These transmissions are build internally the exact same way we upgrade the diesel transmission.We use borg warner frictions,machine the pressure plates to add extra clutches above factory stock set ups.(1 extra in both forward & direct drums, 10 total in overdrive direct & 6 total in overdrive brake)We upgrade valve body w/ Sonnax Manual Valve,Spool Switch Valve and Pressure Regulator valve to increase line pressure,firm up shift,improve lube,allow converter recharge.We use Sonnax Heavy Duty Band Strut (1"thick,factory is 1/8" thick).5 Pin steel front planet.5 pin overdrive planet assembly.4 pin rear planet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190477479655

Old 12-10-2010 | 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't care for the Dr. Evil transmissions. Their whole "secret mods" thing kinda worries me.......

The one linked looks pretty good. Keep in mind there are going to be other costs associated with that..... I would also ask them just WHICH clutches/steels they are putting in there....... (something that both PATC, and Dr. Evil both list in their descriptions......) That's exchange price too.....

Trans temp is generally a pretty good indicator, but, if you wail on it, you can grenade hard parts without any warning whatsoever. I would go gently with that 408 so long as the stock unit was in there. Once you get one built to take the power you are putting out, drive is like ya stole it.

Old 12-10-2010 | 02:45 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

yea i like the 3yr warranty as well as the fact that its half as much as a PATC. i told him my application and as you can see he said it would hold up just fine.

besides some random misscelanios things all i need for that tranny is a TC, correct?

Old 12-10-2010 | 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It doesn't come with a torque converter??? Missed that trick.... Look at spending around 300 or more for a good one....

Aside from the trans, TC, and a boatload of fluid, should be golden. Wouldn't hurt to replace the trans mount too though..... (I love spending other peoples money.)

Old 12-10-2010 | 03:19 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

i didnt see one listed, but it may, ill have to ask him.

block should be goin to the shop middle of next week or so

Quick Reply: 408 stroker build