2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to the forum, and possible transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Jaredz28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, and possible transmission issue.

What's going on everybody! I'm new to the membership side of the forum but I've been here many times reading different posts and such on these fine automobiles called the second generation Ram. I'm running a 318 2wd automatic and she gets the job done. After doing some research, however, I am at a bit of a loss concerning a present concern I have with my transmission. It shifts relatively strongly through 1,2, and 3 but when I hit say, 45 or 50 depending on how much throttle is depressed while cruising, It wants to shift into overdrive and gives me a pretty good shake before it will shift down (usually all the way to second) if I don't intervene and give it a little extra gas. I've already done a throttle position sensor and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I fixed my wild vents and the seemed to help with it being lethargic when it's cold but hasn't fixed this issue. I don't want to commit to rebuilding it or picking up a beefy reman until I have to. What's the input fellas?

Also, has anyone had any luck adjusting the TV cable to fix this?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Welcome to DF.

You can try adjusting the TV cable, it may or may not help, but, if done properly, it certainly won't hurt.

Are you getting any trans codes?

Fourth gear, and TCC lockup are controlled by solenoids, via the PCM. Can you explain a little more about what it is doing, and under what conditions?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Jaredz28

Thanks for the welcome! When cruising at 45 or 50 mph it shifts into overdrive and feels like it wants to stick there. If I blip the throttle it will pull out of it but it shifts all the way to second, progresses through third, then back to overdrive again. It doesn't feel like a skip or slip. I used to landscape for a company and have played that game lol. It honestly feels like the torque converter is locking and not allowing down shift until a more decisive throttle change is made. That's why I originally thought throttle position sensor. I also thought it may be the oversized tires Im running messing with the shift points. Maybe a combo of a few things?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Jaredz28

Also, please note that I have resorted to driving OD off frequently but I drive around 100 miles on the highway one way twice a week and have begun noticing this overdrive problem in the 55-60 mark and 65-70 mark. The best way I can describe it is a hunt.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

How many miles on the truck, and have you fixed your plenum yet? (standard question. )

I wonder if what you are seeing isn't an engine missfire.... it isn't as apparent until you get into TCC lockup range, as then you have a direct mechanical connection from engine to trans... so, you feel it a lot more than in other gears.

Another possibility would be governor pressure sensor or solenoid......

Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Jaredz28

I just did cap and rotor because they were pretty coroded and I popped a cylinder 7 misfire on a wet day. When I had the cylinder 7 misfire I immediately thought plenum but I burn very little oil. I suppose it wouldn't hurt as she's got almost 159,000 miles. I'm going to follow through with plugs, wires, and probably a coil and see what happens. I'll be sure to pay attention to the 7 and 8 plugs and look for fowling. I just burn almost no oil so I don't see I being plenum.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Jaredz28

Please note, too, that the misfire was before the cap and rotor.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd check the plenum on that 98. When you purchase the plugs and other stuff, get a TB gasket too(Felpro 60958-1). Remove the TB, using a small mirror and flashlight look around inside all four corners of the intake for oil.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Jaredz28

Will do. It is probably due for one. I know the guy that owned it before me. I don't think he's ever done the plenum in it either. I appreciate the tip. I'll check for oil in the intake.

Quick Reply: New to the forum, and possible transmission issue.