2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drum brake advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM
fodgerdodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drum brake advice

was going to attempt to change out the shoes w/ hardware. i was just wondering if there's anything i should have heads-up for, any minor problems which may occur. thanks in advance

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by fodgerdodger
was going to attempt to change out the shoes w/ hardware. i was just wondering if there's anything i should have heads-up for, any minor problems which may occur. thanks in advance
Do one side at a time so you have a side to reference to. The springs go on a certain way. Be sure to grease up the auto-adjust. Make sure the right shoes go on the right side. And be prepared for some hard *** springs to hook back on lol. All I can think of. Have fun

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM
fodgerdodger

do you know what grease i should be using, copper anti-seize, white lithium, etc.? thanks again.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as said, note that the front side and rear side are different lengths. i think the shorter ones are on the front side, or maybe its the long ones, i never can remember.

take a picture of each side before removing all that crap. it might come in handy. there's some pictures in the haynes manual and the 01 service manual, but they're not very clear and detailed.

i generally replace the wheel cylinders to avoid leaks.

adjust the shoes up snug when complete.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

do you know what grease i should be using, copper anti-seize, white lithium, etc.? thanks again.
Yea, some kind of high temp grease should work. And also adjust your parking brake when your done. It'll have a bit of slack. Gonna be a pain removing the drum for the first time. So have a rubber mallet ready.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 PM
fodgerdodger

dont they have them screw holes in it to pry off the drum? it a 1998 ram 1500 btw if that helps.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

dont they have them screw holes in it to pry off the drum? it a 1998 ram 1500 btw if that helps.
Not sure. Mines a 2001 and it didn't.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Few do..... Just use a big hammer. if it doesn't wanna come off, whack it with the hammer, turn it some, whack it again, turn it some.... until it pops, then you can just slide it off. (at an angle, on the outer rim of the mounting face.)

Shorter shoes go in front. (they are self energizing.....)

Get the drums turned, any automotive machine shop, and most auto shops should be able to do it up for ya. runs anywhere from five bucks, to 20 bucks each....... Needs to happen though. Bite the bullet, get 'em turned.

Going with new hardware kits is a good plan.

Wheel bearing grease works fine.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
fodgerdodger

I was also going to purchase some caliper pins with bolts for the front brakes. Does anyone know if there are dust boots for the pins as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 PM
edlucky1
Professional

Be prepared to buy additional items. When I did mine, I found out that the previous owner didn't take care of them, so I had to buy extra parts for the parking brake. And make sure that your auto parts store actually understands what kind of parts you need. Those two things put me in a bind for a day or so.

Otherwise it was a pretty smooth job.

P.S. The BIGGER the Hammer the Better

Quick Reply: drum brake advice