2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Ram 1500 4.7 Loud noise perhaps lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
justjoe906
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ram 1500 4.7 Loud noise perhaps lifters?

So called mechanic shop changed intake manifold gaskets. They also cleaned up gunk build up but did not plug up holes and allowed quiet a bit of the gunk to get into the motor. After completion drove for about 5 miles and oil light came on. Long story short dropped oil pan and it was full of motor gunk, and pump plugged up. Cleaned out and changed pump, again 15 miles later same this oil light came on. Dropped pan cleaned out changed pump, filter etc.
That fixed the oil light problem, however, a few days later after driving I now have a very loud tapping noise. At times seems like it could be from the top of the motor and at other times sounds like the bottom of the motor.
I am thinking perhaps a lifter some how bacame stuck due to oil tube/pump plugging up causing low oil pressure.
Any ideas appreciated, Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you do a custom job and drop a 4.7L V8 into your 1999? 4.7L engines weren't available until after the change to the 3rd gen body style in 2002, or maybe a little later (can't recall the exact year they were available). Its either a 3.9L V6, 5.2L V8, or 5.9L V8.

I would take it back to the shop that caused the problem and talk to a manager, make them fix it and not charge you a cent. It is not your fault they didn't use proper procedures to keep the gunk from getting into the engine. Now not only did you have to pay for a few oil changes and a new pump or two, but you have additional, possibly larger, engine problems.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these little franchise shops really AMAZE me with their carelessness and stupidity, which is why you should take the time to learn how to do this stuff yourself .

i would trust the dealer i suppose... but i dont have an arm and a leg thats not attatched to my body

Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 PM
mr freeze
Veteran

If it really is a 4.7 then you might be a member of the gunked up motor club.Google the 4.7l and you will see many horror stories of that motor.People with only 40,000 miles having to cough up 7 grand for a new motor.Not good.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 PM
justjoe906
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry is a 5.2 not a 4.7

Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

if its coming from the bottom of the motor it could be a number of things that would most definitely require a rebuild. if the motor has been starved of oil for any lengthy period of time you likely wont be able to reuse anything but the crank and thats assuming you have the journals machined atleast -.020

top end noises are a WHOLE different story, with that said we cant help you unless you post a video or determine WHERE the noise is coming from

Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

break out the redneck stethoscope bro.. grab a long screwdriver or 2' stretch of pipe- preferably a pipe.. fire that engine up and methodically put one end of the pipe on the head side of your injectors and the other to your ear.. listen closely..

If you locate the ticking, and it is under your intake manifold more clearly than it is from under your heads on the block- it is likely a stuck or collapsed lifter..

pull your valve covers over the suspected collapsed lifter and push firmly with your thumb on the rocker.. if it collapses easily, or without an extreme amount of pressure, you've found it.. If that doesn't work- pull your coil wire off and have someone turn the engine- oil should squirt through the push rods somewhat uniformly- a stuck lifer won't squirt, and a collapsed lifter will squirt much less than the others..

Once you've achieved certainty that you have a collapsed or stuck lifter- go to the package store and buy a gallon of Captain Morgans..

If the lifter is stuck- chances are it will stick again.. and it will need to be replaced.. If it is collapsed, you may be able to save it and not have an issue with it again..

Drain your oil, and pull your filter.. replace both of them- get a lesser restricted filter, and some light oil.. a bunch of it.. enough for about four changes..

change it, run it for about ten-twenty minutes, and change it.. do it again.. do it again... if your lifer hasn't cleared, you're going to get to pull your intake..

Based on the fact you used a garage to pull your intake the first time, I gotta ask: How comfortable are you pulling it yourself? It's about a 10 to 15 hour job for a first timer I would guess..

Based on your gunk, chances are you have something in the lifter that is disallowing the check ball to seat and seal the lifter.. but it could very well also be the inlet port obstructed too, and no oil is filling it in the first place..

They aren't terribly expensive to replace- but they are terribly expensive to get at..

Mull that over whilst sipping the Morgans, and then think about taking that empty bottle with you in the morning to the garage that did this to you- it makes a nice weapon when wielded properly.. I'm thinking you'll be wanting them to do this.. Or, you may become like me and determine you'd rather it be done right and do it yourself, which means you can save the bail money and apply it towards lifters..

Last edited by drewactual; 01-28-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

haha sounds like your still a little heated about your last run in with shadetree inc. "mechanic"

Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it that obvious?

truth be known, I'm not cold with anger.. I'm warm with the plotting of my vengeance.. Life is good for those who can hold on to a grudge long enough to eff somebody up while they are just wondering 'why?'.. trust me on this- it is a fantastic feeling..

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
is it that obvious?

truth be known, I'm not cold with anger.. I'm warm with the plotting of my vengeance.. Life is good for those who can hold on to a grudge long enough to eff somebody up while they are just wondering 'why?'.. trust me on this- it is a fantastic feeling..
You sir, are an evil, evil man.

I like you better already.

Quick Reply: 99 Ram 1500 4.7 Loud noise perhaps lifters?