2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
I forgot to exclude Skycracker and Superlol as well. KORE doesn't have any products for 2nd gen trucks, but Carli does. You'd have to look in their catalog or the aftermarket to find them though. Why can't you lot understand that the majority of these lift kits are made by the same company, in CHINA? Procomp for example is exclusively a Chinese product. They share products with Rancho and Tuff Country. A few others as well. Their importing and packaging facility is in Chula Vista, CA.

HAHAHAH Bull! Please someone find me the Rancho prerunner, or the Tuff Country Trophy truck. Oh wait, thats because they don't exist. Using Spacers, blocks, and tighter coils isn't "designing". It's "how can we quickly make a buck off of people who don't know any better?" Am I saying all the kits out there are bad? No. Terraflex makes some great products for Jeeps that actually work. However, about 95% of the stuff out there for these trucks is just garbage. "Hey, lets put twin shocks in the front because it looks sweet, then charge $500 to do it." wtf? I know for a fact that I work my race vehicles harder then most of this forum put together. That's why I've twisted shocks, bent links, split tubes, broken welds, and the like. However, all of that damage usually had something to do with landing (you cant race/ get airborne with your precious spacers), or colliding with other vehicles.
As usual, you miss the point. Not everyone races or jumps their rig. So not everyone needs a $3000 custom made suspension. Budget lifts have their place and work just fine for the purpose they where made for. Pointing out that you shouldn't get airborne with a spacer lift is like saying you shouldn't climb Everest in your swimsuit. You need to get off your high horse about suspensions and see that not everyone needs a competition level suspension - just like not everyone needs a competition race engine under the hood.

Also, if you are trying to say that these companies don't build competition level or extreme level off-road rigs, I think you are missinformed. I think you are misinformed about the built-in-China thing too. In fact:

-Rancho is based out of Long Beach, and is owned by Tenneco, a Lake Forest Illinois company. Tenneco has manufacturing in China - yes, but also in 24 other countries around the world. But amoung all the things Tenneco makes, most of their suspension manufacturing is actually in Ohio, Nebraska, and Georgia. Here's an example of a Rancho competition rig that I found with just a quick search:
http://www.off-road.com/aimages/arti...615/Rancho.jpg

-Tuff Country is based out of, and manufacturs in, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Here's one of their rigs:
http://www.tuffcountry.com/component...=3&key=1&hit=1

-Skyjacker
Here's an example of a Skyjacker competition rig:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/24...db74e5.jpg?v=0

My point is, these companies do compete at competition or extreme levels. It just might not be in your desert racing scene is all. There's more to off-road racing then just pre-runners. I'd like to see your prerunner take a run up Pritchett Canyon. See how your custom made suspension does there. LOL!!!!

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 01-31-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love how sensitive some people are on certain subjects..i personally agree with silver...we all know the use of our rigs. i have no use to lift my 2wd but i hate the low stance of a stock 2wd when i pull my mud truck to the off road parks i dont want it to look like i pulled it there with a mini truck. budget lifts are great to achieve a good look...custom one off suspensions are great to take the big jumps and abuse of racing or hardcore off road...back to the point we all know how we will use our rigs

Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

Rancho made a 4in lift kits for the 2wd rams

BDS longe arm lifts are nice

but if i was me and i wanted to lift the truck cheap,, v10 or CTD coil springs, add and leaf or lift shackels(which i would maybe make, bepends on time vs money)

Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I run a pretty budget lift. Skyjacker coils & control arms, adjustable shocks, AAL in the rear. It flexes better then stock, but not anything extreme, enough for what I do though. I threw on the BL to fit 35's because I like how they look, and I wanted the extra ground clearance and clearance in the engine compartment. I run my truck off-road about 1/3 of the time (hunting trips mostly, and playing in the snow), 1/3 is getting to/from my off-road adventures, and the last 1/3 is misc towing/daily driving duty. My suspension works perfectly for what I do. I work my truck hard when I do have it off-road, and I have never broken anything except a steering damper when I slammed a stump that was buried under 2 feet of snow.

Can I afford a better suspension. Sure. Do I need a better suspension. So far no. If I start wheeling it harder or jumping dunes, my suspension would be inadequate and I will have to make changes for sure. But until then, anyone who tells me my suspension is junk simply doesn't know why I have the components I do, and how I use my truck. It works for me as is, end of story.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 01-31-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicely put silver!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

like i quoted before...."we all know the use of our rigs and we know what we expect" i do like the fact that this got brought up it proves that the best out there is not what everybody is after... silver good points

Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
No brand name manufacturer makes a good lift. They don't spend millions of dollars designing, testing and, manufacturing lifts that have to meet a laundry list of safety and reliability requirments. They don't have their lifts on competition rigs in every type of off-road sport. Their lifts aren't found on hundreds of thousands of off-road trucks and jeeps that get used and abused far worse then most people on this forum would ever attempt, and have them outlast the trucks and jeeps they are on.

Yup, only homemade lifts are any good. Like some of these for example:
http://rlcanon.sw.utexas.edu/taco/scarysteering.html

/sarcasm
Now thats good **** haha

Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Thanks silver, you make a lot of good pints. I think I might go ahead and go with the cheap 3" suspension cause its cheap, but it has the option for a decent set of shocks, and then the body lift. Most of all I like the look of a lifted truck, and I do like to do some off roading occasionally, nothing crazy but theres been known to be three or four foot drifts of snow up here on these country roads and fields. I think 5-6" and some 35s will work just fine for me. And i can get all that from name brand companys for a pretty dang reasonable price. Im sure as hell not about to be running her in an off road competition any time soon, so thanks for all the input guys it was a lot of help. Ill make sure an post pics when i get all the parts and raise her up.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 PM
rollinlow
Professional

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
just like not everyone needs a competition race engine under the hood.
who ever told you that lied to you

Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by rollinlow
who ever told you that lied to you
lol. What's funny actually is that the most powerful engine in my garage is 345+ hp 5.7 Hemi. It's in the wifes SUV and is used the majority of time to drive the kids around and get groceries.

Quick Reply: Budget Lift