2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the cheapest 5+" lift you can do is combining a body lift and suspension lift, as going up 5" or more with just suspension involves too many components.

You can get a 3" coil spacer suspension lift with shocks and control arms for under $400 http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...on/339103.html, and a body lift for just over $200... thats about as cheep as you can get (unless you get a kit without shocks and control arms).

I had diesel coils under my 2nd gen (gained just over 3"), with add-a-leafs in the back, new shocks all around and a 3" body lift. Everything else was stock. Control arms. Pitman arm. All that stuff. I had about $600 into that. It worked great off road considering it was basically a stock suspension system, and it cleared 35's fine. Only thing it needed to make her really shine was a set of gears and lockers.

Do you plan on re-gearing with those 35's? If not, you better put it in the budget...

Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oyler you have to stop posting pictures of your old truck.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he misses it too much.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Originally Posted by olyelr
About the cheapest 5+" lift you can do is combining a body lift and suspension lift, as going up 5" or more with just suspension involves too many components.

You can get a 3" coil spacer suspension lift with shocks and control arms for under $400 http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...on/339103.html, and a body lift for just over $200... thats about as cheep as you can get (unless you get a kit without shocks and control arms).

I had diesel coils under my 2nd gen (gained just over 3"), with add-a-leafs in the back, new shocks all around and a 3" body lift. Everything else was stock. Control arms. Pitman arm. All that stuff. I had about $600 into that. It worked great off road considering it was basically a stock suspension system, and it cleared 35's fine. Only thing it needed to make her really shine was a set of gears and lockers.

Do you plan on re-gearing with those 35's? If not, you better put it in the budget...
I think thats what im gonna do, 3" susp coil spacers and add a leafs, and a 3" body lift kit for 6". And i was planning on a locker pretty soon down the line regardless, posi is no fun in the snow. But gearing should be a big concern? Whats it gonna cost to get ahold of, and whats it take to put in?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default Olyler is now Olrder

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Sorry 'bout the post jack, but I agree as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Oyler you have to stop posting pictures of your old truck.
No I dont.

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Yes I do.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by olyelr
No I dont.

Yes I do.
In time this too shall pass, and you will look fondly back and realize that you made a good decision.

At that point you'll be as old as I, I'll be dead and forgotten, and the truck will only show up in your wildest dreams...

....if you're lucky.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PutThtPed@lDown
But gearing should be a big concern? Whats it gonna cost to get ahold of, and whats it take to put in?
With questions like that, you better plan on taking it to a shop to have it done. Plan on somewheres around $1500-2000 with lockers

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
In time this too shall pass, and you will look fondly back and realize that you made a good decision.

At that point you'll be as old as I, I'll be dead and forgotten, and the truck will only show up in your wildest dreams...

....if you're lucky.

Dammit I get a kick outa your posts. Always get a smile outa me... sometimes even a full out chuckle. Hopefully in my old age I get to be funny too

Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'd rather get a smile and a chuckle than a post full of venom anyday.

Oh, the op, get gears. 4:56's with 35s. Do it right or don't bother. The pain of a half *** job lasts much longer than the satisfation of a job done right. Costs more too.

Chaos, anarchy, and destruction...my job here is done. Goodnight!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, definetly get the gears if you plan to run 35's. It may seem like a large chunk of change to do it, but you will regret it if you don't.

Quick Reply: Budget Lift