2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
townsley4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is kind of off topic, but if you lift the back of the truck 3" would the shocks need to be replaced? i know they have to in the front, but i wasnt sure about the back.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, yes. I've heard of guys running stock shocks with 2" lift, but I think 3" is outside the operating range of the stock shock, espcially if you wheel at all where you mght flex it.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
As usual, you miss the point. Not everyone races or jumps their rig. So not everyone needs a $3000 custom made suspension. Budget lifts have their place and work just fine for the purpose they where made for. Pointing out that you shouldn't get airborne with a spacer lift is like saying you shouldn't climb Everest in your swimsuit. You need to get off your high horse about suspensions and see that not everyone needs a competition level suspension - just like not everyone needs a competition race engine under the hood.

Also, if you are trying to say that these companies don't build competition level or extreme level off-road rigs, I think you are missinformed. I think you are misinformed about the built-in-China thing too. In fact:

-Rancho is based out of Long Beach, and is owned by Tenneco, a Lake Forest Illinois company. Tenneco has manufacturing in China - yes, but also in 24 other countries around the world. But amoung all the things Tenneco makes, most of their suspension manufacturing is actually in Ohio, Nebraska, and Georgia. Here's an example of a Rancho competition rig that I found with just a quick search:
http://www.off-road.com/aimages/arti...615/Rancho.jpg

-Tuff Country is based out of, and manufacturs in, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Here's one of their rigs:
http://www.tuffcountry.com/component...=3&key=1&hit=1

-Skyjacker
Here's an example of a Skyjacker competition rig:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/24...db74e5.jpg?v=0

My point is, these companies do compete at competition or extreme levels. It just might not be in your desert racing scene is all. There's more to off-road racing then just pre-runners. I'd like to see your prerunner take a run up Pritchett Canyon. See how your custom made suspension does there. LOL!!!!
If you'd like me to comment I will. However what this usually comes down to is I'm out of touch with reality, I only have a 2WD, a Moderator tells me off, the mainstream bolt on crowd trys to gang up on me, yap yap yap.

If you want to hear my reply, say so. If not I'm not going to waste my time. I've stated my piece, and I'm going to continue stating that very same opinion. Why? Because it's my profession that I have a fair few years of experience with.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 02-01-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I don't have a problem with your opinion or experience/knowledge, it is the way it is delivered that is usually the issue.

You clearly know a lot about the topic, but you deliver it in a snarky know-it all fashion while basically telling everyone that their stuff is junk because it is not what you would build or run yourself. Unnecessary. Most trucks on here are not being built to be a desert racer. Most don't even see any off-road at all. Brand name suspension parts have a place and they work for specific usage. You may not like that, but it is true. It's up to the owner to decide if these types of suspension parts will achieve their build objectives and budget. That means they have to know what the limitations of the componenets are, and how they plan to use their truck once they are installed.

Coming into these threads and looking down your nose at everyone who doesn't fabricate their own $3000 suspension is just not a productive way to "state your piece" - it doesn't accomplish anything except make you look like an *** and make people not want to really hear what you have to say. Is that what you are going for?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
I'd rather get a smile and a chuckle than a post full of venom anyday.
Actually, I kind of like a post full of venom. Thats how I get my exercise in. It's good for the heart.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
I don't have a problem with your opinion or experience/knowledge, it is the way it is delivered that is usually the issue.

You clearly know a lot about the topic, but you deliver it in a snarky know-it all fashion while basically telling everyone that their stuff is junk because it is not what you would build or run yourself. Unnecessary. Most trucks on here are not being built to be a desert racer. Most don't even see any off-road at all. Brand name suspension parts have a place and they work for specific usage. You may not like that, but it is true. It's up to the owner to decide if these types of suspension parts will achieve their build objectives and budget. That means they have to know what the limitations of the componenets are, and how they plan to use their truck once they are installed.

Coming into these threads and looking down your nose at everyone who doesn't fabricate their own $3000 suspension is just not a productive way to "state your piece" - it doesn't accomplish anything except make you look like an *** and make people not want to really hear what you have to say. Is that what you are going for?
This was better suited for a private message, and not to be posted in public. I'd reply here but I'd probably be banned or something for not hopping on the bandwagon.

ANYWAYS... OP, save your $$$ and buy something better then some sketchy spacers and blocks. Add a few hundred to the funds you already have, and you can find the parts you need from a reputable company like Carli. OR, find a local fabricator and have him build you some improved equipment. Both will cost you only a little bit more, and get you away from the junk block/spacer crowd.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 02-01-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Actually, I kind of like a post full of venom. Thats how I get my exercise in. It's good for the heart.
Well, theres always one snake in the barn, and no matter what color the skin is, they're still a snake.
And if you don't like my sense of humor, that's ok too. I hate when I have to use more than 10 fingers to count my fanclub.

I get the strangest feeling that somehow in the last 2 or 3 pages of posting that this thread has gotten either a bit off track or is about to degrade itself into a whole new demension of disfunction. When people post asking for information or ideas on modding thier trucks they really open up a can of worms. Opinions abound, and it's difficult to descern facts from fiction.
Perhaps its easiest to check out some of the members trucks on here whose rigs somewhat fit your ideas and read thier mod list. Feel free to PM them with your questions, as most are helpful folks who should have an interest in seeing your truck become what you think it should.
Lastly, there are as many ways of properly modding your truck as ways of enjoying it. One man's two track is another's rock pile, and anothers knee deep mud bog, anothers dune course, or show ground. One doesn't have to spend the equivalent of an emerging nations GNP to have a safe and useful vehicle. But there's no sense in hacking something together either. There's still a lot of quality stuff out there for our trucks. Again, the financial agony of a half assed job lingers long after the pain of one done right ends.
Thats enough on this thread from me. I wish the OP lots of luck...which means Laboring Under Correct Knowledge!

Last edited by dsertdog56; 02-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
This was better suited for a private message, and not to be posted in public. I'd reply here but I'd probably be banned or something for not hopping on the bandwagon.
I wasn't going to say anything more on it, but you brought it back to the front with your post #53, so that is why I commented back. I honestly meant it to be public though because it applies to everyone, not just you.

It's up to you if you want to go to PM from here or keep it public - guess it depends on what you feel you need to say. I don't really have anything else to say on the topic myself.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Originally Posted by olyelr
With questions like that, you better plan on taking it to a shop to have it done. Plan on somewheres around $1500-2000 with lockers

Dammit I get a kick outa your posts. Always get a smile outa me... sometimes even a full out chuckle. Hopefully in my old age I get to be funny too
It's not that I dont have automotive experience, its more so that I grew up with a father working for Porsche and Mercedes so I dnt have much firsthand experience with putting gears or a rear end in a truck lol But if the price is right ill have a shop do the gears anyways cause it aint somethin i wanna mess up for sure. 4.56 is the magic number though huh?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Pretty dumb question im sure, but is it just the ring pinion gear kit i need? Or do i have to buy the whole huge kit? I ask cause the ring pinions like 3-400$ and the full kit is about 700$

Quick Reply: Budget Lift